How to update inbuilt device

Huzzy
Huzzy Registered Users Posts: 6
Novice Seeker
Hi, help needed if possible.
We've just bought a motorohme, it comes with inbuilt Tom Tom satnav, no idea the make or model of the SN. As requested by the device, I've put in a USB, it's copied stuff to it, followed the link but, download software to my PC but the App now wants me to add my device, which I don't know what it is. Any ideas how I can find out what device I have and update it?

A big thanks in advance for any advice given>
Best wishes
Martin

Answers

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,174
    Superuser
    @Huzzy

What is the make of your motor home, and how old is it?

If you have a Fiat with a Uconnect radio satnav have a look at this FAQ https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013961339-Preparing-USB-device-for-map-updates-for-Uconnect-Radio-Nav
  • Huzzy
    Novice Seeker
    Thank you for the reply. The MH is a Fiat Ducato, 2018 model.
    Attched picture of the info from the in built satnav.
    I've installed the Tom Tom software on my PC but it just keeps asking me to connect my Satnav, which I obviously can't as it's in the van. So, I'm unsure what Map I need, do I need pay, has the previous person paid for life-time-maps or something similar. I don;t want to buy more maps if I don't need them or they are already on the device. Do I also need to update the device as well as buy a new map? Confusing, I apologise.

Hope someone can help :)
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,769
    Elite Voyager
    Hi

You must insert a USB key in your GPS so that it copies files on the USB key which allows your GPS to be identified on Tomtom Home.

Your GPS doesn't have a lifetime map, you need to buy a new map from Tomtom Home.
  • Huzzy
    Novice Seeker
    Thanks. I've done the USB bit, copied data from the inbuilt device, plugged usb into my PC, then run Tom Tom Home. Presented with a menu, if I select anything it states Your Device is not Connected - how do I then point it to my USB drive? See attached image.Thanks in advance.q34wrop18bo7.jpg
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,174
    Superuser
  • Huzzy
    Novice Seeker
    Thanks for all the suggestions but I think my USB drive is faulty. I've inserted into my motorhome, copied the data to it, which was successful, then inserted it into my PC, run Tom Tom Home and apparently it's supposed to automatically read the USB and detect what device I have but nothing happens. I just get the attached image. I can't see an option to point the software at the USB drive manually so assuming that it does it automatically.

No ideas why it's not working so can only assume that the USB is faulty, despite the data copy being successful. If I'm missing something, any advice would be very welcome - thanks.octti6dox8wc.jpg
    fra48pk1bliq.jpg
    xj1dk4ckdopx.jpg
    x43rx1xzkx9z.jpg
    so0fz9zcwl8g.jpg
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Tomtom Home does not install on USB

Tomtom Home allows you to buy a card once purchased

with Tomtom Home you downloaded the map to USB
    then you insert the USB key in the GPS the map is installed on your GPS.
  • Huzzy
    Novice Seeker
    Again, thanks for the replies but this still bemuses me. To recap, I've done the following.

On my inbuilt satnav in my motorhome, I've foloowed the guidance for preparing a USB device for Map Updates for uconnect radio na. This says it was succful. A 32gb USB stick was used.

I then put this USB drive in my PC and as guidance suggests (Installing a map on uconnect 5" radio Nav), I install Tom Tom Home and open it. I get a menu with Purchase Maps, Update my device etc (image 1 attached). I can login at this point, so I do. Please note, bottom right it states No device connected....and it obviously isn't because the satnav is in my van and I'm at my PC, so when I select Purchase Maps or Update my device I get, see image 2.

Because my PC and van are not connected in anyway, I'm assuming that when I prepared the USB drive, this drive has the information on it required for the software to detect what device I have and allow me to get past this page. Then, I could and I'm assuming again, download the relevant updates or maps onto the USB drive, insert back into my van and upload the updates/maps. I could be completely wrong here but I cannot see anyway to get past this.

I'm just trying to update my satnav, I can't take the satnav out and I can't connect over wifi as I don't think it has that option - so, how do I do it?4anokpfuicqo.jpg
    k8e4wkcbz0o5.jpg
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    I then put this USB drive in my PC and as guidance suggests (Installing a map on uconnect 5" radio Nav), I install Tom Tom Home and open it. I get a menu with Purchase Maps, Update my device etc (image 1 attached). I can login at this point, so I do. Please note, bottom right it states No device connected....and it obviously isn't because the satnav is in my van and I'm at my PC, so when I select Purchase Maps or Update my device I get, see image 2.

Because my PC and van are not connected in anyway, I'm assuming that when I prepared the USB drive, this drive has the information on it required for the software to detect what device I have and allow me to get past this page. Then, I could and I'm assuming again, download the relevant updates or maps onto the USB drive, insert back into my van and upload the updates/maps. I could be completely wrong here but I cannot see anyway to get past this.

Normally, that's exactly how it should be.

On Tomtom Home you have created an account?

And no you cannot remove the GPS from the motorhome the update is only done via USB

Contact customer service for assistance.

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

How to contact TomTom customer support by email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560

• Huzzy
    Novice Seeker
    Thank you for confirming this, I thought I was going mad. Yes, I create an acocunt and login.

I'll contact customer services.

Thnak you