TomTom support is trying to charge me for Lifetime map updates

Buccaneer8007
Buccaneer8007 Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Seeker
edited June 5 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I bought a Sat Nav (4FL50) with USA maps and Lifetime updates for European maps yet when my attempts to update my maps failed andI contacted TomTom support, the operator said I would be charged. Apparently, because I hadn’t updated my maps for some time, I could only upgrade at a cost. I repeatedly stated I had paid for lifetime updates when I purchased the Sat Nav unit and even if I hadn’t needed to update if I had been driving familiar routes, this should not negate a ‘Lifetime update’ service. The operator then typed that said she was not able to help me and disconnected the link. Disgraceful customer support.

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,773
    Elite Voyager
    edited June 4
    What model of GPS do you have?
    Can you give the first 2 letters of the serial number.

If you buy the GPS with lifetime US maps, you cannot also have lifetime European maps, unless it is a GPS with world maps.
  • Buccaneer8007
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Willy875,
    The first two letters of my Serial number are ‘QR’
    I purchased two regions,
    1 - a one off for the USA
    2 - lifetime updates for Europe,

each served by separate mini Disk.

I attempted to update the European maps got an error code that prevented updating the map.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,773
    Elite Voyager
    Hi

QR > GO 5000/5100

GO 5000 comes with a pre-installed map for additional maps you need to purchase.

GO 5100 comes with world maps if its a GO 5100 check back tomorrow. Moderator @VikramK will review your account and assign you the service.
  • Buccaneer8007
    Apprentice Seeker
    Whilst I appreciate members of the community trying to help me find a solution, I maintain that it should be TomTom who has responsibility for meeting their contractural responsibilities if they are to continue to enjoying patronage in the future.

TomTom’s customer support has been extremely poor in my experience and unless they honour their stated free map updates for life that I was advised to be the case when I purchased my Sat Nav, they will sadly lose the trust I placed in them.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Hi @Buccaneer8007

Look back here later to see what @VikramK or @lampard have to say after they have reviewed your units settings on the TT servers and adjusted if required.

If your unit is a GO5000 it would have been sold with the regional map on it, ie Europe or Oceania etc, for the region in which it was sold and that would have had lifetime Map updates as a service. There have been cases of the Settings on the TT servers needing amendment to restore the service and it would help if you could indicate here the last 3 digits, NO MORE, to help the mods identify the unit concerned if you have other TT devices on your account. If you have added the USA or other maps subsequent to the original purchase they that will not be covered by lifetime maps promise.

If the unit is a GO5100 then it will have free of charge the full range of car based maps available and lifetime updates.

Doug
  • Buccaneer8007
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

The last three digits are 782.

I appreciate your support.

I believe I am entitled as you described. The challenge is to get TomTom to honour their commitments.

Regards,

Dave
  • VikramK
    VikramK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 14,712 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Hi @Buccaneer8007
    Your TomTom comes with world map updates, I don't see any reason why there should be a charge to download new maps...
    What updates are offered when you go into My Content tab in MyDrive Connect?

Some screenshots/photos here will help...

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • Buccaneer8007
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Vikram,

Thanks for your contribution but no screenshots or images are included?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Hi @Buccaneer8007

Not sure if there is a misunderstanding here. @VikramK is asking if you could post back here with some screenshots of what you are seeing on your PC/TT unit to see if that helps him identify what’s happening. I assume he cannot see any problems with your units settings on the TT servers which should cause an issue for you.

Doug
  • Buccaneer8007
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks Doug, my error…….The most obvious indicator was the error message, ‘update failed’. I’m unable to move freely (hospital recuperation) at present but will attempt another map upgrade, take screenshots and come back to you guys.

Thanks,