Maps won't complete downloading

Clearcomms
Clearcomms Registered Users Posts: 32
Renowned Wayfarer
I have a TomTom Go. Yesterday it announced I had map updates, so I chose Install now for both. Mistake!
Connecting as I usually do by wifi, the download kept falling over, But of course TomTom had deleted my original maps, as usual, so the device wouldn't work. After some hours of the updates failing I connected it to my PC and the updated version of MyDrive Connect.
For the last 18 hours or so, it has been failing to complete a download of any map.
I tried downloading the France map (not too big) and the download got started, then repeatedly fell over, citing no internet even though the internet was working, and had not been interrupted.
Most recently the download has got to 91%, seemed to hang, and then reverted to 65% and gone on from there. It has done this 4 or 5 times now before I pulled the plug. I am about to start again, but can see no reason why this should work when it hasn't been working all day.
I have used MyDrive connect to clear out what looked like bits of the old maps in case that was the problem. But I am now at my wits end!

Best Answer

• Clearcomms
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Answer ✓
    Finally fixed it this morning! After repeated failures I disconnected from the PC, closed MyDrive Connect, and went back to downloading the map I wanted over wifi, which is how I normally do my updates. And - though very slow - it worked! I am back with a working map of France, and can now maybe download Europe!!
    Thanks for those who tried to help; their input, though unsuccessful, did help me logic my way through this problem.

Answers

• Clearcomms
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Update.
    Best I managed this time was 82% ! Several more tries, after turning the GPS off completely, just resulted in it saying the internet connection had been lost, so the download had failed. The internet had been on all the time. Also once or twice it said simply that the download had failed - no reason given.
    MyDrive Connect doesn't help when it tells me to install new maps by going to Settings>Updates etc. But because there are no maps the GPS won't let me go to Settings; it takes me straight to Add A Map.
    There must be a way I can download a map - any map! If I get one, I will then be able to download others etc.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,766
    Elite Voyager
  • marcds
    marcds Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    I deleted and reinstalled my drive connect, but without any result. There is still no connection with my device.
  • Clearcomms
    Renowned Wayfarer
    edited May 18
    Sounds like good advice - but it didn't work! I think the problem is that there is no longer a map on my device. When I try to reset the device, it doesn't reset, it just opens, and tells me to download a map. I am now trying to download the smallest map I could find - Iceland! :'(

And guess what? I now have a working GPS. Of course I'm not actually IN Iceland, but it's a start.

Now I can try and download a map I actually want. :#
  • Clearcomms
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Answer ✓
    Finally fixed it this morning! After repeated failures I disconnected from the PC, closed MyDrive Connect, and went back to downloading the map I wanted over wifi, which is how I normally do my updates. And - though very slow - it worked! I am back with a working map of France, and can now maybe download Europe!!
    Thanks for those who tried to help; their input, though unsuccessful, did help me logic my way through this problem.