Connecting a START52 to a car with a USB c connection

bgreen
bgreen Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Seeker
I have a My START52 which I haven't used for a while. Since then new car have USB c ports. Is there an adaptor or a new cable which goes from the device to a USB c connection?

Thanks.

Bob

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,744
    edited May 13
    @bgreen
    Hi Bob
    Such adapters are available at local outlets and also through online stores.
    TomTom officially does not recommend charging the device using any cable other than the one supplied in the box (along with the device).

Regards,
    Vikram.

• bgreen
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks Vikram,

If TomTom don't recommend adapters, will they be making cables that fit usb c ports? Eventually they will need to keep up with the times.

I'd be interested to hear of adapters that people have used successfully.

Bob
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Hi @bgreen

The issue with connecting a Tomtom device to a Cars USB and I expect C socket is that the power output is much less, circa 0.5a, than you get from the supplied Cig Charger such that during use the power source is not providing enough to run the unit and charge the battery at the same time. Over a long journey, depending how charged the unit was bwhen you start, the unit could stop as the battery is flat.

Doug
  • bgreen
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks Doug. As long as the cigarette lighter works, this is a work around.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,794
    Superuser
    edited May 13
    Hi
    @bgreen
    The Previous NAV4 and Later Wi-Fi Connected devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1807438/#Comment_1807438

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • bgreen
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks YFM. The link suggests lots of potential pitfalls. Sounds like it is a lot simpler, wherever possible, to use a car with built in GPS. Hire car companies charge exorbitant rates, hence resurrecting the TomTom. I found 3 other TomToms I owned, but they didn't have a USB-cigarette connection, only a cigarette lighter connection.