Feature request: planning & navigation for trailers

FlorisMK
FlorisMK Registered Users Posts: 11
Apprentice Traveler
We recently went on a trip with our tent trailer, and were again confronted by the fact that TomTom GO for Android is highly inaccurate in that situation. The ETA is wildly underestimated, and navigation prefers 130kmh roads even though it's not allowed to drive that fast with a trailer, not by a long shot.

The app supports a vehicle profile, but that's limited to the type of power source and the fuel.

The feature would work somewhat like this:
  • Under Vehicle Profile, the option to indicate car/truck/moped/whatever, and the type of trailer: none/unbraked/braked/caravan/whatever.
  • In the Maps database, awareness of road-specific maximum speeds per vehicle/trailer type.
  • In the navigation function, including ETA calculation, awareness of what maximum speeds are applicable for the selected vehicle/trailer type.

Given that maximum speeds are already variable (albeit time-related), this should not be a technically complicated feature. (I.e. navigation already needs to figure out which maximum speed is currently valid.) Most work would probably go into establishing the various maximum speeds per vehicle/trailer/road type/country.

And the added value for TomTom users would be enormous, since many users rely on TomTom for vacation travel as well as day-to-day driving.

Comments

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,944
    edited May 10
    Hi @FlorisMK

Thanks for the feedback! Currently, we do not support Camper/Caravan/trailer profiles. If you choose the Truck profile for a trailer, even if correct values for weight/size are entered, the app will treat the vehicle like a truck. I'll mark this as a feature request for the product team!

Best, lampard
  • FlorisMK
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks @lampard. To be clear: I'm asking for the Android app, which doesn't even support truck profile. All it supports is entering vehicle power source (combustion/electric/hybrid) and fuel type.
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,188
    Community Manager
    If you switch to open beta then you can choose truck settings.
  • FlorisMK
    Apprentice Traveler
    @Jürgen I understand from @lampard 's answer that truck settings won't help me, so joining the beta program won't either. And I'd rather not become a beta tester just to get this one new feature...
  • mareceq
    mareceq Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Traveler
    I was using the truck profile when driving with a trailer. There were some benefits:
    1. ETA has been calculated more-less correctly
    2. I have been never directed to the road I couldn't drive (which was not obvious when using car profile)

But version 3.5.0 removed truck profile (accidentally, I hope).

Reassuming:
    Truck profile is much better than a car one, but still worse than the dedicated trailer profile
    Having profile dedicated for trailers is much appreciated
  • FlorisMK
    Apprentice Traveler
    @mareceq Was this profile available in the Android app? I've never seen anything like that, and I've used the app forever.
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,944
    edited May 13
    mareceq wrote: »
    But version 3.5.0 removed truck profile (accidentally, I hope).
    Yes, thanks for spotting that out! It is indeed missing from the latest beta update, we'll address this soon.

FlorisMK wrote: »
    @mareceq Was this profile available in the Android app? I've never seen anything like that, and I've used the app forever.
    The vehicle profile option was only available for beta users since version 3.4.1 (but now missing on the latest update), see the steps here to join the beta program if you wish.

Best, lampard

• FlorisMK
    Apprentice Traveler
    @lampard, I'd rather not volunteer as a beta user just to get a single missing feature. Is there a timeline expectation for this feature to get out of beta?
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,188
    Community Manager
    edited May 13
    The missing truck profile in open beta is fixed. Quit and re-open the app and it's back.
  • mareceq
    mareceq Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Traveler
    @Jürgen yes, it works now as it was before. Thanks for instant help!