Western Europe Maps for ´obsolete ´XL

RaSmall
RaSmall Registered Users Posts: 9
New Seeker
Hello, I have just tried to upgrade my older XL through HOME and the process deleted the original map from my device and will not complete the installation of a new map. The device is now non functional and shows `No maps found`.
The device worked perfectly well for my purposes and I do not want to purchase a new TomTom or pay for new maps.
Please can someone explain to me how I can install the map that was originally on this device before HOME rendered it useless.

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Revered Voyager
    edited May 4
    Hi

Look on your computer you must have a backup of your GPS.

It is also not a good idea to want to update a GPS declared obsolete by Tomtom.
  • RaSmall
    New Seeker
    Hi, the updating process deleted the old map to make space for the new but I cannot find a backup. The new map is available at 1650MB but the download doesn't complete.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Revered Voyager
    Did you buy this new map?
  • RaSmall
    New Seeker
    Its clearly a poorly disguised plan by TomTom to have us fill up landfill sites with their planned obsolescence models and to buy their new ones.

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @RaSmall
    Hopefully the moderator @VikramK will pick this up and assign you the correct map on Thursday
  • RaSmall
    New Seeker
    Niall wrote: »
    @RaSmall
    Hopefully the moderator @VikramK will pick this up and assign you the correct map on Thursday

Thank you, this would be very helpful.

• RaSmall
    New Seeker
    Thank you all for your help. I didn't buy the new map but it did appear as an available upgrade in HOME upon deletion of the old one.
  • RaSmall
    New Seeker
    Willy875 wrote: »
    Thats a horrendous quantity of unsupported and obsolete devices! The landfill site is growing faster than I had feared.
  • RaSmall
    New Seeker
    I can understand that there becomes a time when upgrades are no longer available, however support and original software should always be available for older devices.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,810
    Hi @RaSmall
    I have reactivated a map for your TomTom XL, could you check if you can download it using TomTom HOME?

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • RaSmall
    New Seeker
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @RaSmall
    I have reactivated a map for your TomTom XL, could you check if you can download it using TomTom HOME?

Thanks,
    Vikram.

Hi Vikram! Thank you so much for your help in enabling me access to a replacement original map for my perfectly functional XL a new life! The update worked this time and my device appears to be working correctly. I have made a backup.
    Why don`t TomTom continue to make OEM downloads available and stand by their older products.
    This would be better for the Environment and for their Company image.
    Together we can save the world!
    Thank you!
  • RaSmall
    New Seeker
    Hi Vikram!
    Thank you so much for your help in enabling access to a replacement original map for my perfectly functional XL and giving it a new life!
    The update worked this time and my device appears to be working correctly.
    I have made a backup.
    Why don`t TomTom continue to make OEM downloads available and stand by their customers and older products?
    This would be better for the Environment and for their Company image.
    Together we can save the world!
    Thank you!