"Computer voices" have no sound after last update.

tomcost
tomcost Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Seeker
I recently purchased a TomTom Go Supreme and did my first successful update through the GPS via WiFi. The next day I noticed that I was not getting sound from the "computer" voice Samantha, nor any other "computer" voices (Tom, Malcolm, Serena, Karen. I tried some of the "recorded" English speaking voices and they worked fine so I know it's not a volume issue. Is their a way to correct the "computer" voices so I can get full detailed spoken instructions? I'm currently seeing no new updates.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,713
    Answer ✓
    Hi @tomcost
    If removing and installing the voice back does not fix this issue, then I would recommend that you report this to our customer service team.
    Removing and reinstalling the same voice using MyDrive Connect could help fix the issue. For Wi-Fi devices : (Connect device to MyDrive Connect > Go to My Content > My Voices > select Uninstall next to the voice that is not working (eg: Monica ) > Now on device itself > Main menu > Updates and New Items/Settings > Device shows a spinning wheel and voice will be removed.

Now to install the same voice again, go back to MyDrive Connect > voice > Add voice to your device>>> Here they have to go back on device> click on Updates and New Items....> the update will start

Once installed, do a soft reset and test the voice.

Also why does my TomTom GPS not recognize the "XfinityWiFi" and "CableWiFi" Xfinity networks on my TomTom?

We have seen reports of TomTom not able to connect to Wi-Fi networks that have a frequency of 5 GHz?
    What GHz frequency are your networks using?

Thanks,
    Vikram.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,785
    Superuser
    edited May 3
    Hi
    @tomcost
    Welcome to the site...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) -->
    Are any of the Sound Icons slashed through ??? Or the Volume slider set to zero ???
    dy49cl5hc6cc.jpg
    Note... The Day/Night screen brightness Icon...
    Should be slashed through....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    No slashes through any icons except for the night day icon.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @tomcost
    This worked for me... When Serena and Malcolm wer refusing to speak....

Workaround for Installing Voices on a Wi-Fi connected device using the Menu structure of MyDrive Connect....

Using MyDrive Connect.…
    Check.... My Content --> My Voices --> 'Add Voices to your device'... Are the Serena and or Malcolm the UK Voices available in the list to install ???
    If 'Yes'... Try reinstalling the Serena or Malcolm UK voice using MyDrive Connect plus My Workaround... As you know all the updates on a GO Wi_Fi connected devices are executed on the Menu structure on the device, the Workaround allows you to use the MyDrive Connect Menu structures on a Wi-Fi Connected Device....
    Tip... If you are installing the TTS Computer voices, they are larger MB sized files... The recorded voices' are smaller KB sized files (The TTS voices can read out Street names, Road signs etc)
    Note... This workaround doesn't work on the latest GO Discover Models....

See Workaround Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure.

Using the above method, 1st I reinstalled the Malcolm Voice...
    Note... I did experience a small glitch when I tested the Malcolm voice, the voice was installed, but when I tested the voice it was silent, no spoken instructions ???
    Then I reinstalled the Serena Voice, using the above method... After installing the voice, I Tapped 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voices to select the voice, and Serena, Malcolm were now both working normally again :)

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    A new question arises from your answer, I cannot connect to Wi-Fi unless I'm at my home near my router. I have Xfinity network but XfinityWiFi and CableWiFi do not show on my list of available routers when I'm out on the road like on my other devices. I put them in manually but they still do not show in range. I also was under the impression that if I connect my phone which has unlimited data through the Bluetooth I would be able to connect that way too, but it does not work.
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    YamFazMan,

I'll try your solution when I get home from work tonight and am able to connect to MyDrive on my computer.
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    YamFazMan

I could not find the voices listed
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited May 4
    Hi
    @tomcost
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up and allocate the appropriate Computer voices to your A/C.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks
  • VikramK
    Hi @tomcost,
    Computer voice 'Samantha' has been activated for your TomTom. Please check for updates now.

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    Vikram,

I downloaded the computer voice "Samantha" you activated and rebooted the device, I selected it from my list of voices but still get no vocal sound like I do from the "recorded voices".
    Also why does my TomTom GPS not recognize the "XfinityWiFi" and "CableWiFi" Xfinity networks on my TomTom? My tablet and phone have no problem connecting to them and it would be very useful if I need to update the GPS when I'm not home near my router. As a Comcast customer I use those networks to get free access to the internet when I'm on the road and not home.
    I am also having trouble with the voice commands, When I say "Hello TomTom" the command screen comes up but I noticed that the microphone icon is grayed out and I have to physically touch and activate it every time to say a command, is there a way to keep it on as a default? I tried to access it in the settings but nothing happens when I click on the microphone icon.
    It could be that my GPS is convoluted with maps and voices I'll never use, can I remove the extra maps and foreign voices I wont be using from the GPS? I've been having so many problems since I bought the GPS last week, I would do a factory reset if I knew I wouldn't lose my subscriptions.
    Thanks for your help....
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hello @VikramK

Did you receive my last post?
  • VikramK
    Answer ✓
    Hi @tomcost
    If removing and installing the voice back does not fix this issue, then I would recommend that you report this to our customer service team.
    Removing and reinstalling the same voice using MyDrive Connect could help fix the issue. For Wi-Fi devices : (Connect device to MyDrive Connect > Go to My Content > My Voices > select Uninstall next to the voice that is not working (eg: Monica ) > Now on device itself > Main menu > Updates and New Items/Settings > Device shows a spinning wheel and voice will be removed.

Now to install the same voice again, go back to MyDrive Connect > voice > Add voice to your device>>> Here they have to go back on device> click on Updates and New Items....> the update will start

Once installed, do a soft reset and test the voice.

Also why does my TomTom GPS not recognize the "XfinityWiFi" and "CableWiFi" Xfinity networks on my TomTom?

We have seen reports of TomTom not able to connect to Wi-Fi networks that have a frequency of 5 GHz?
    What GHz frequency are your networks using?

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hello @VikramK

Can you provide me a link to report my problems to the Customer Service Team? I could not find it on this site.

Thanks
  • tomcost
    Apprentice Seeker
    @VikramK

This morning I had did another soft reset and checked for updates and didn't see anything. I just given up on the problems with my TomTom GPS and was getting ready to go to work when the GPS asked me if it wanted to read out my emails. I immediately checked the settings and the computer voices were functional so I tested it out going to work this morning and it worked fine. I checked the gigahertz on the XfinityWiFi and CableWiFi networks I connect to out on the road and they were both 5 gigahertz like you said. Will there be any updates in the future that will include 5 gigahertz connections to my GPS so I can update my GPS when I'm not home?