Missing lifetime fixed cameras after map update

trebor54a
trebor54a Registered Users Posts: 6
New Seeker
I have recently updated the maps on my go5000 after which I lost my lifetime fixed cameras. I have tried removing and reinstalling the maps and have followed solutions that are on various tomtom web pages, all to no avail, does anyone have an answer to my dilemma?

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,404
    Revered Voyager
    Go 5000 n'a pas les radars à vie vous devez prendre un abonnement.

It is normal for you to lose speed cameras after a map update.

The functionality of TomTom models has changed, speed camera services are linked to a subscription. When a speed camera subscription expires, the TomTom device stops issuing alerts.
  • trebor54a
    New Seeker
    Hi Willy,
    Thanks for your reply, I was not made aware of this change and there was no warning when I carried out the update. The reason I purchased a GO5000 was due to the lifetime map and camera location updates included in the deal, I think this is an underhand way of forcing drivers to pay out £20 per year for something that they have already paid for in the original purchase price of their satnav device.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,847
    Superuser
    Hi @trebor54a

Look back here later to see what @VikramK has to say after he has checked your units settings on the TT servers.

Doug
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    trebor54a wrote: »
    Hi Willy,
    Thanks for your reply, I was not made aware of this change and there was no warning when I carried out the update. The reason I purchased a GO5000 was due to the lifetime map and camera location updates included in the deal, I think this is an underhand way of forcing drivers to pay out £20 per year for something that they have already paid for in the original purchase price of their satnav device.

Hi
    @trebor54a

I agree with you, there has never been a message from Tomtom indicating that the speed cameras disappear if you do not renew your subscription.

No, there was never a Lifetime Camera on the Go 5000
    Since April 2021, the functionality of Tomtom models has changed, speed camera services are linked to a subscription. When a speed camera subscription expires, the Tomtom device stops issuing alerts.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,781
    Hi @trebor54a
    The GO 5000 doesn't come with Lifetime speed camera updates. The model is embedded with 3 months of trial updates from the time the device is linked to your account.

Please see more information on our support article here- https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4405947354130

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • trebor54a
    New Seeker
    Hi Vikram, Just to be clear I am talking of fixed cameras, not mobile cameras, I have updated my Go5000 for a number of years without problem. I do understand that I must pay for mobile cameras but fixed cameras and map updates were included for life.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    fixed cameras were never for life on Go 5000
    you must purchase a new subscription with this subscription you will receive alerts for fixed cameras and alerts for mobile cameras.
  • trebor54a
    New Seeker
    Hi Willy,
    Before buying my Tomtom I did lots of research on satnavs to get the best one for me and I can assure you that my G05000 came with free life time cameras,traffic and maps. I have updated it many times since 2015 with no problems until now, if it did not have free cameras then they would have stopped working in 2016 which is not the case. I did purchase mobile cameras in 2016, but quite frankly it was useless as it was nearly always inaccurate so I didn't renew. On March 30 you had a communication with a member who is also under the impression that his go 5000 had free cameras, and I am certain if I was to spend more time researching the net I am sure I would find others who think the same.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @trebor54a

What appears to have happened is that when you device was sold it came with 3 months cameras according to @VikramK. If you wanted the cameras to be kept up to date then you needed to pay a subscription. What actually happened is that if you did not take out any subscriptions the cameras on the device were never removed by TT although they were only offered for 3 months or for when you were paying a subscription. Some time ago TT decided to removed any cameras on a device for which no current subscription existed and did this when Map updates were being loaded. So now cameras only remain and are updated in a unit if there is a subscription or they came as lifetime with the device.

Doug
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Tomtom Trafic cards yes they are for life

Before April 2021, all speed cameras installed on the map remained on GPS, so you were warned by a speed camera database which was not up to date
    After April 2021 Tomtom will modify the allocation of speed cameras if you download a new map automatically the speed cameras are deleted if you do not renew the subscription.
  • trebor54a
    New Seeker
    Hi Willey,
    I regularly use the m6 /m5 motorways which were updated to 4 lanes in 2017/18, speed cameras were installed on the overhead signs at that time, my Go5000 would alert me to those cameras, they were installed way after any subscription I had expired so I cannot agree I was using an out of date database, the fact is my cameras updated because I was entitled to a free update.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited May 4
    Hi @trebor54a

If you have evidence that your unit was originally sold with lifetime camera updates then contact Customer Support via Chat, not Chatbot, and provide the evidence to them. Presented with the evidence then they will make the necessary changes to your units settings on the TT servers.

Here is a link to a Review of the product in 2014 which indicates that this new to the market product had Speed Cameras subject to Subscription which is in line with @VikramK's earlier Post.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/car-tech/tom-tom-gps-and-sat-nav/tomtom-go-5000-1210219/review

Doug
  • trebor54a
    New Seeker
    Hi Doug,
    After the update the notification on my satnav has changed from "renew mobile speed camera locations" to "renew speed camera locations" and I purchased my Go5000 in 2015 so any evidence has long been discarded, which I suppose is the end of the matter, I can see on line that there are more people like me who feel TomTom have done this without notice to raise revenue, the more people they upset, the more business they will lose.