Go Discover

Covkid62
Covkid62 Registered Users Posts: 599
Supreme Navigator
My new go discover 7inch has developed a crack on the back case as you can see in the picture.
My previous Go 6200 did exactly the same and the metal plate actually broke away from the case eventually.
the sat nav is only 4 months old so surely this shouldn't have happened and I'm thinking that the magnet that holds the device to the mount is too strong and the reason why this case cracking is happening.
Has anyone else seen this fault and what will tomtom do about it

ghh3fdlrqm5a.jpeg

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    Revered Voyager
    Your Go Discover is still under warranty, keep it working.

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

How to contact TomTom customer support by email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    none of those links work correctly as I'm clicking on contact and the page just loops back again
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    managed to contact them eventually but what a pain it is to try and get help
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    Revered Voyager
    The links are working delete your cookies from your browser.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,787
    Superuser
    edited April 30
    HI
    @Covkid62
    I find it easier to separate the device from the mount….
    If you pull the head unit towards you and downwards at the same time (Like a peeling action)

When I was using an Air vent mount, I also found the Magnetic grab on the mount was too strong.…
    (I was concerned about the tiny slats in the Air vent)
    I put 2 layers of gaffer tape across the magnet on the mount to reduce the Magnetic grab....
    Use the above at your own discretion....
    I suppose there's a safety concern... If you were involved in an accident having the head unit flying around inside the Car....

Contacting Tomtom Support….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

TomTom customer support by email….
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
    Note... This link is to one of the Tomtom Support site pages... You may have to login again using your Tomtom Email & Password...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 410
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Covkid62

I have 2 devices which have cracked in exactly the same position. And I do follow @YamFazMan suggestion of using a 'peeling action' to remove from the magnetic mount which is very infrequent as I keep my devices mounted permanently in the car.

But my Go Discover which I have "never used in the car" or "put in a mount" :/ (due to the reduced Traffic delay horizon - although that has improved slightly of late) it too has cracked. :s

tyr0370kwttw.jpg

I can only think the plastic casing is too tight and has fractured at its weakest point. I have been monitoring and the cracks do not appear to be getting any worse................. B)
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    cheers for all the comments but it's a bit poor having a device that is only 4 months old cracking the way it is.
    I bought this to replace my go6200 as the metal plate in the device had broken away from the case so it wouldn't attach to the mount anymore.
    @Lost_Soul have you not contacted tomtom to see about your damage as it's not good at all.
    @YamFazMan I do get what you mean about not having it flying about the van in an accident but the magnet is stupidly strong which is why this damage is happening.
    Just don't want this one to end up the same way as my last one