Is TomTom GPS compatible with Apple MacBook Pro M1?

RayandPaula
RayandPaula Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
I'm looking to put Garmin behind me and move on to a much better GPS. I would like to know if the TomTom's are compatible with the new Apple MacBook Pro M1 computer's? If so, is MyRoute compatible as well? I would like to be able to create routes with waypoints on my MacBook Pro M1 and transfer them to a TomTom GPS. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you. Ray

Answers

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,417
    Exalted Pioneer
    edited April 28
    there was an issue https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1802706/#Comment_1802706
    the new tomtom don't require mydrive connect to update. just can be done using home internet wifi
    mydrive web site for route planning can be used on a browser.
  • RayandPaula
    Apprentice Seeker
    Has nothing to do with my thread.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,436
    Revered Voyager
    To partially answer your question, Tomtom devices do not work with cables or adapters via USB-C:
  • RayandPaula
    Apprentice Seeker
    Willy875 wrote: »
    To partially answer your question, Tomtom devices do not work with cables or adapters via USB-C:

Interesting.... Thank you for your help, appreciate it. 👍
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,858
    Superuser
    Hi @RayandPaula

Firstly the initial reply to your original question is pointing out that the latest Wifi models do not. need any PC involvement in loading and or updating maps. Indeed the very latest like the Go Discover will not load maps etc if it is connected to a PC. All you do is connect the units to your wifi and they manage maps etc using the units menu system.

Regarding the USB C situation the units can connect using an Adapter as they do on my MacBook what I cannot confirm is whether they will communicate to the new M series.

Regarding creating GPX routes on your PC the Tomtom system is to use the Tomtom My Drive website where you can creaet routes and save them to your accounts My Routes folder then they can sync to the devices. You can also create routes on other programmes and provided they are compatible you then add them to your Account on the My Drive Website so that they will then sync to the device.

Doug
  • RayandPaula
    Apprentice Seeker
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @RayandPaula

Firstly the initial reply to your original question is pointing out that the latest Wifi models do not. need any PC involvement in loading and or updating maps. Indeed the very latest like the Go Discover will not load maps etc if it is connected to a PC. All you do is connect the units to your wifi and they manage maps etc using the units menu system.

Regarding the USB C situation the units can connect using an Adapter as they do on my MacBook what I cannot confirm is whether they will communicate to the new M series.

Regarding creating GPX routes on your PC the Tomtom system is to use the Tomtom My Drive website where you can creaet routes and save them to your accounts My Routes folder then they can sync to the devices. You can also create routes on other programmes and provided they are compatible you then add them to your Account on the My Drive Website so that they will then sync to the device.

Doug

Thank you Doug for your help. My biggest concern is being able to creat routes with waypoints on my new MacBook Pro M1. I don't want to do this on my iPhone and/or iPad. Before making an investment in a TomTom, I will wait until I can get confirmation that it will communicate with my M1. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your all help and time. 👍😊