Map update says Oops something went wrong, please try again

strak
strak Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
Tom Tom 620 UK with lifetime maps and traffic. Will use traffic OK from my mobile , will update speed cameras OK. but will not update the map it gives the above error message. i have 5274MB in the tom tom memory device free and I have a ready formatted card (empty) with 121809MB free it shows device not connected to My Drive Connect yet it does the camera update no problem. how do i point it to download the maps to the USB simcard thingy? Thanks

Answers

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 284
    Supreme Pioneer
    @strak
    Did you format the card on the device?
    Try update without mydrive connect over wifi
  • strak
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes I did format the SD card in the tom tom as soon as it went in and it shows it is formatted. It just seems to me like perhaps its trying to use the Tom Tom inbuilt memory but not the SD card memory. I can update speed cameras OK but I don`t think there is enough memory (inbuilt) for the maps to update. Yet there is plenty of memory in the SD card and it is empty. It seems to me it does not want to use that SD memory (of course I could be wrong). Thanks
  • strak
    Apprentice Seeker
    I will try your WiFi update suggestion. thanks
  • strak
    Apprentice Seeker
    No Joy I`m afraid
  • strak
    Apprentice Seeker
    Any further help please? This is driving me insane. and without a helpline to ring, how can I resolve it? It is a very bad policy by Tom Tom not to have someone I can actually discuss this with. You`d think in the days of the internet things would be easier and faster. Lets hark back to the old days when you could actually speak to a person (at local call rate, not a daylight robbery rate) . We have evolved some really uncivilised practices here in the UK
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,822
    Superuser
    Hi @strak

Try removing the Extra memory card and then try the updating without the unit being connected in any way to your PC so it is connected directly to your Wifi.. If you have an Apple or similar mobile phone mains charger plug that the TT units USB cable will fit then use this to be charging the unit whilst trying to update.

When you start your unit then before you try to update Press and hold in the ON/OFF button for 20 seconds plus until you here the Drumroll sound then let the button go. If after that you cannot get it to update then try the following.

Go to the MyDrive WEBSITE and log into your account and check that all your My Places and My Routes are there then if they are do a Factory Reset.ie Menu/Settings/System/Reset Device. Once you have set the unit up as you did when you first got it and it has connected to MyDRive and synced all your data back onto itself then try the updating again.

If one of the Updates is an Operating Software update then you must do this first, ie do not ask it to update anything else at the same time, hen once that is completed do the rest of the updates.

If after removing the extra memory card the unit updates then I would do a FULL Format of the memory card to Fat32 then reinstall it and format it on the unit.

Doug