Going To France- Searching postcode on the GO 5000

AlanNP
AlanNP Registered Users Posts: 21
Outstanding Explorer
I'm in the UK.How do I enter a French postcode in my Go 5000?

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,815
    Answer ✓
    Hi @AlanNP
    Welcome to the community! Your GO 5000 currently has the UK and ROI map active.
    To search for a postcode in France or Netherlands, you need to install the corresponding maps.

If you check for updates in MyDrive Connect these maps regions should be offered as downloads.

Regards,
    Vikram.

Answers

• AlanNP
    Outstanding Explorer
    Thanks for the link. When I enter into search the Dutch postcode in the example in the manual I see 'No addresses found'. The Go 5000 does have a map of all Europe doesn't it?
  • VikramK
    Answer ✓
    Hi @AlanNP
    Welcome to the community! Your GO 5000 currently has the UK and ROI map active.
    To search for a postcode in France or Netherlands, you need to install the corresponding maps.

If you check for updates in MyDrive Connect these maps regions should be offered as downloads.

Regards,
    Vikram.

• AlanNP
    Outstanding Explorer
    Vikram,
    Thanks, that makes sense. Do you know if I can install European maps on a Start 25?
    Alan.
  • VikramK
    Hi Alan
    I see you have an active subscription for Europe map updates, so you should be able to download them to your Start 25.

To install the full Europe map you will require a SD card, size 16 GB (branded, Class10).

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900980

Personally, I would prefer installing maps only for countries that I plan to travel, it helps to improve device performance and saves space.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • AlanNP
    Outstanding Explorer
    Vikram,
    Thanks for your help. I think I have confused you and now you are confusing me. There are two navigators at issue, my Go 5000 and my friend's Start 25.

The Start 25
    My friend bought this believing it would work in France. A few hours before the ferry left she found it didn't and she's now bumbling about that country without even a paper map. You say a map of France can be downloaded but a memory extension will be necessary. I can't see anywhere on the Start 25 to plug in a memory card, and there is no reference to extending memory in the paper documentation that came with it.
    1) Are you sure we can deploy a memory extension?
    2) If so, how?
    3) She will only need a map of France, not of Europe, do we still need an SD card?
    4) Do we download the map using MyDrive Connect?
    My friend does not have a computer and is more technophobic even than me. We would have to use my installation of MyDrive Connect, which is set up for my Go 5000.
    5) Can I use my MyDrive Connect to load a map on to her navigator?

The Go 5000
    I want to use the map of France.
    6) Do I need more memory?
    You say I have an active subscription for Europe map updates.
    7) Does that mean I don't have to pay for them?
    8) If so, how do I aquire one?

Thanks, Alan.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,451
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

the start 25 or the Go 5000 has an internal memory of 8 GB It's 2 devices are sold with a European card

on the Start the SD card slot is behind the USB socket

To install this European map you must buy a 16 or 32 Go SD

For your friend to download his card on your computer you must disconnect then reconnect with this identifier.
  • VikramK
    edited April 21
    AlanNP wrote: »
    Vikram,
    Thanks for your help. I think I have confused you and now you are confusing me. There are two navigators at issue, my Go 5000 and my friend's Start 25.

The Start 25
    My friend bought this believing it would work in France. A few hours before the ferry left she found it didn't and she's now bumbling about that country without even a paper map. You say a map of France can be downloaded but a memory extension will be necessary. I can't see anywhere on the Start 25 to plug in a memory card, and there is no reference to extending memory in the paper documentation that came with it.
    1) Are you sure we can deploy a memory extension?
    2) If so, how?
    3) She will only need a map of France, not of Europe, do we still need an SD card?
    4) Do we download the map using MyDrive Connect?
    My friend does not have a computer and is more technophobic even than me. We would have to use my installation of MyDrive Connect, which is set up for my Go 5000.
    5) Can I use my MyDrive Connect to load a map on to her navigator?

Indeed, the mentioning of Start 25 created a confusion.
    Before answering your questions, I will need the serial number of the device to review the subscriptions and map information.
    Could you send me the serial number of the device through a private message by clicking on this link-https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/messages/add/VikramK, please ?

AlanNP wrote: »
    The Go 5000
    I want to use the map of France.
    6) Do I need more memory?
    You say I have an active subscription for Europe map updates.
    7) Does that mean I don't have to pay for them?
    8) If so, how do I aquire one?

It all depends on how much space is available on the internal memory. If you have more than 1 GB of free space, then you can install the France map without memory expansion.
    The use of memory card I was referring to earlier was in context to installing the full map of Europe. (The latest map of Europe is more than 8 GB)
    GO 5000 comes with free map updates, so you don't have to pay for it.

Perhaps a helpful link- https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013898140, in case you are having a difficult time finding the memory card slot.