Can TomTom recognise that some roads are closed only at certain hours? (London Bank junction)

uktomtommer
uktomtommer Registered Users Posts: 86
Outstanding Wayfarer
Today the TomTom tried to send me down Prince's street (Bank Junction, in the City of London, UK), which is closed to cars and motorbikes Mon-Fri, 7am to 7pm.

It's already crazy that TomTom didn't know about this because this restriction has been around for years - see https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/streets/bank-on-safety

I reported it using MapShare. I have two questions:

1) what is the process after reporting it? How long does that take? Can one chase it , does it take months?

2) generally, can TomTom recognise that some roads are closed to traffic not 24/7 but only during certain hours? Does the software allow this, or is it just road either always open / always closed?

Tagged:

Comments

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,758
    edited April 14
    Hi @uktomtommer
    The TomTom devices are not ready for restriction of routing that are time depending.

We could consider such a feature for devices running on NDS maps in future, but I will avoid settings expectations here.

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • uktomtommer
    uktomtommer Registered Users Posts: 86
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Then you should mark these roads, like Prince's street at Bank Junction in London, as permanently closed!
    Because when they are open, ie outside of Monday - Friday 7am to 7pm, there will be less traffic anyway.
    When they are not open to cars and motorbikes, there will be much more traffic and it will be much more complicated to find an alternative route on the spot. Not to mention that I don't even want to think how many motorists must have been fined because TomTom tried to direct them there and they didn't realise the time restriction.

By the way, this is yet another confirmation that waze is so much better for urban use: it plans different routes for cars and motorbikes, recognising that some roads are open to motorbikes but not cars, recognises time-dependent road restrictions, and the maps in general are updated much more quickly.
    basically the only advantage of the TomTom is when you plan complex routed, eg importing them from gpx files.
  • Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 83
    Supreme Trailblazer
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @uktomtommer
    The TomTom devices are not ready for restriction of routing that are time depending.

We could consider such a feature for devices running on NDS maps in future, but I will avoid settings expectations here.

Thanks,
    Vikram.

Isn't it possible to introduce such restriction as a traffic incident? Then routing should take that into account.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,758
    Hi All
    We have tried implementing these closures through our Over-the-air services.

Let us know if you observe any improvements when you travel next time?

Thanks,
    Vikram.