Can anybody recommend an alternative device to rider 500/550?

Tom_Murks
Tom_Murks Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
edited April 12 in RIDER
I am still using my legacy TomTom urban rider, which for me has a couple of advantages over the current 500/550 devices.
As TomTom doesn't seem to be willing to build devices which offer flexible configuration options, I am looking for an alternative.
I already checked Garmin, but they also do not offer flexible user interface either.
Can anybody point me to other options?

To me, a navigation device should offer more features than Google Maps on a smartphone, not less.
That said:
o I want customizable alarm sounds for different alarms.
Especially while riding a bike, it is crucial to concentrate on the traffic.
Thus, I am using a BT headset, so that I can listen to navigation hints instead of looking at my device.
o I also use the speed alarm, but that sound is way too loud and ear-damaging on the late 5x0 devices.
The speed alarm threshold should also be configurable, as some countries (like Switzerland) are way stricter than others.
o I want easy track upload without a cloud connection and I want full cable upload, not just via Wi-Fi.
I need a cable to charge the device anyway, so why can't I use it for uploads too?
Wi-Fi is nice to have, but a cable is much simpler and more reliabled and entering a good secure Wi-Fi password on a navigation device is a nag.
Planning a tour with Tyre on a PC with its large screen, mouse and keyboard is way easier than doing it on a navigation device and transferring the track to my urban rider currently just needs 2 clicks.
o I want a user interface which uses all the screen estate to quickly access a feature, instead of scrolling through a fancy list of items on a distracting background.

TomTom should understand, that if I pay for a dedicated device, it must offer substantial more than a free solution like Google Maps, which even offers live traffic information.

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,833
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Tom_Murks
    Tom_Murks wrote: »
    (Snip) I want customizable alarm sounds for different alarms.
    Especially while riding a bike, it is crucial to concentrate on the traffic
    For a general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings
    Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm here in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    Now after the normal Warning double 'Ding'
    The device will now 'Say' the name of the Warning ....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays
    (Snip) Wi-Fi is nice to have, but a cable is much simpler and more reliable and entering a good secure Wi-Fi password on a navigation device is a nag.
    Planning a tour with Tyre on a PC with its large screen, mouse and keyboard is way easier than doing it on a navigation device and transferring the track to my urban rider currently just needs 2 clicks (Snip)
    On the NAV4 & NAV5 Rider models you have direct access to the PC Filer system to transfer Tracks or Routes....
    See...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1798736/#Comment_1798736
    Also, In the same post as linked above.... See Transfer a route to your NAV4/5 device using a Micro SD Memory Card.....
    (Snip) I want easy track upload without a cloud connection and I want full cable upload, not just via Wi-Fi
    I need a cable to charge the device anyway, so why can't I use it for uploads too?
    Wi-Fi is nice to have, but a cable is much simpler and more reliable and entering a good secure Wi-Fi password on a navigation device is a nag.
    Planning a tour with Tyre on a PC with its large screen, mouse and keyboard is way easier than doing it on a navigation device and transferring the track to my urban rider currently just needs 2 clicks.
    I want a user interface which uses all the screen estate to quickly access a feature, instead of scrolling through a fancy list of items on a distracting background
    o I want a user interface which uses all the screen estate to quickly access a feature, instead of scrolling through a fancy list of items on a distracting background.
    Have you tried the MyDrive Web Route planner?
    See... https://mydrive.tomtom.com/

Updating over USB....
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices Like the Rider 550 normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....
    Here.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1798728/#Comment_1798728

Stay Safe... ATB YFM