Cant copy music from new computer to Tomtom Runner 2 help!!!

NeilSt
NeilSt Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Seeker
I bought a Lenovo Yoga a while ago to replace my laptop which was slowing to a halt. I copied everything across, but could not find my music playlists on my PC for my watch or add any new ones.

I could not find the directory for adding music and I asked a question on here and was given the answer:
browse to the Music folder ([drive letter]\MySportConnect\Music)

This folder does not exist on my computer. I tried to come back to the user but got no reply. Please help!
I don't know if there is an issue with the file type as the watch is 6 years old and my computer is less than 2 years. If so can I change all my files to m3u or m3u8 or if my files can't be changed to earlier version do I just need to get a new watch?

Best Answer

• HvdW
    HvdW Registered Users Posts: 41
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Answer ✓
    I had a TomTom Runner 2 and I'm still using it despite a crack in the glass. Using it for workouts @home.
    I bought a secondhand TomTom Runner 3 and I'm very fond of it.
    It has breadcrumb navigation which I'm using together with Organic Maps on my trekking bike.
    The TomTom for riding and the smartphone for orientation.

I'm aware these watches are no longer supported but the software is OK, the website is OK, connection to Strava and other platforms is OK and a secondhand TomTom Runner 3 can be obtained for bargain prices.

Answers

• HvdW
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Try a reset of the watch.
    When that's done and you log in the App wil setup the lot by itself.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    NeilSt wrote: »
    I bought a Lenovo Yoga a while ago to replace my laptop which was slowing to a halt. I copied everything across, but could not find my music playlists on my PC for my watch or add any new ones.

I could not find the directory for adding music and I asked a question on here and was given the answer:
    browse to the Music folder ([drive letter]\MySportConnect\Music)

This folder does not exist on my computer. I tried to come back to the user but got no reply. Please help!
    I don't know if there is an issue with the file type as the watch is 6 years old and my computer is less than 2 years. If so can I change all my files to m3u or m3u8 or if my files can't be changed to earlier version do I just need to get a new watch?

That folder is not on your computer, that is the watch's internal storage when the watch is plugged into the computer. Plug the watch in, wait for the computer to recognize it, navigate to windows Explorer and then go to that folder. If the computer does not find the watch, check if there is any damage to the pins in the charger or the contacts on the watch. If any of the pins are bent or deformed straighten them out with a pin and make sure the contacts on the back of the watch are free of tarnish or grime. Also make sure it is fully snapped into the cradle. Are you getting any error messages when you plug the watch in or is it being recognized at all? Does the clock face change to a battery charging icon (which indicates it is getting power so there is a partial connection)? A few things to look at (and I apologize if some are very basic, but it is best to get past the obvious issues first):

1) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub?
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    4) Is the USB port free of any debris or blockages?
    5) Is the Connect software running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    6) Did you install Sports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?

As HvdW said, it is not an update issue, TT Sprots went out of business over 4 years ago and has not released any updates since then, the watches are at end of life.
  • NeilSt
    Apprentice Seeker
    I did do a factory reset and managed to make a playlist on Windows Media Player

The 10 issues you mentioned are all ok no issues there.

So I have a playlist on my watch which is great, but my playlists that were on the watch before which was about 15-20 are still on the watch (I have 0.8GB left from 3GB) but I cannot see them on my watch or on Sports Connect and I obviously can't play them.

If I go onto Itunes which I never use anymore, but have installed on this computer and had it on previous laptops none of the playlists are listed there. I wonder if I need to somehow restore the playlists on Itunes, which I have tried doing unsuccessfully.
    Alternatively can I wipe every song on my watch otherwise I hardly have any space left??
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    On the music tab in Connect, if the playlist has changed it only gives an option to update, not delete. In this case, you need to exit out of Sports Connect (right click on the tray icon and select exit), navigate to the watch in a file explorer window (it mounts as a hard drive) and delete everything in the Music folder. Then restart Sports Connect and it will rescan and show it as free memory. Until Sports Connect is restarted it will not recognize the space as being free.
  • NeilSt
    Apprentice Seeker
    I deleted everything in Music folder, which deleted the single playlist (from Windows Explorer folder) I had put on from Windows Media Player. I went back onto Sports Connect and the playlist was still there and my watch was still almost full (0.8GB left). I tried uninstalling Sports Connect and re-installing and still playlist is showing on Sports Connect and watch still at same level of capacity. I went back into File Explorer hard drive for watch and new music folder created with 1 single playlist nothing else but watch still has same capacity.

Has the watch archived all my tunes that I put on from previous computer and older version of Itunes, otherwise where are they?
    Can I just format watch by right clicking the USB Drive icon, like you can with a hard disk or floppy disk? The option is there but I only wanted to do it as last option incase I damage something.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    edited April 11
    Did you exit out of Sports Connect before deleting everything in the Music folder? You need to exit out of Sports Connect (right click on the tray icon and select exit), navigate to the watch in a file explorer window (it mounts as a hard drive) and delete everything in the Music folder. Then restart Sports Connect and it will rescan and show it as free memory. Until Sports Connect is restarted it will not recognize the space as being free.
  • NeilSt
    Apprentice Seeker
    I tried it again and the single playlist disappeared but I still have a watch which is 2/3rds full, yet no sign of any playlists on sports connect or on windows explorer.

Do I need to format the watch (at hard drive icon) or will that lose important settings?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    NeilSt wrote: »
    I tried it again and the single playlist disappeared but I still have a watch which is 2/3rds full, yet no sign of any playlists on sports connect or on windows explorer.

Do I need to format the watch (at hard drive icon) or will that lose important settings?

I am not sure formatting the watch is a good idea as you may have no way to get the firmware back onto it as the base installer software may be gone. I am not sure why clearing the music folder is not working. Have you tried showing hidden files and folders to make sure they are not just hidden?
  • NeilSt
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yeah sure that makes sense.
    I think I know how to show hidden files, but can you confirm just in case?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    In Windows Explorer go to View and check Hidden Files.
  • NeilSt
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi

That didnt show any hidden files.
    The watch still shows as 2/3rds full on Sports Connect and in Windows Explorer
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    I am not sure what to tell you except that all music files are saved in the Music Folder so deleting that and doing a factory reset should clear both partitions on the watch. I would try it again at one time keeping an eye out for errors. You need to exit out of Sports Connect (right click on the tray icon and select exit), navigate to the watch in a file explorer window (it mounts as a hard drive) and delete everything in the Music folder. Then restart Sports Connect and do a factory reset on the watch.
  • NeilSt
    Apprentice Seeker
    I followed that exactly and on Sports Connect my watch is still showing up as 2/3rds full and the same when I bring up file explorer window for hard drive.

My watch is saying it has no playlists on it, but when I went to the factory reset it said that playlists would not be removed.

There is clearly no solution and my watch is 6 years old so I'm going to get a new one at some point and use this until then.

Any recommendations for a running watch that has similar features to Tomtom runner 2?
  • HvdW
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Answer ✓
    I had a TomTom Runner 2 and I'm still using it despite a crack in the glass. Using it for workouts @home.
    I bought a secondhand TomTom Runner 3 and I'm very fond of it.
    It has breadcrumb navigation which I'm using together with Organic Maps on my trekking bike.
    The TomTom for riding and the smartphone for orientation.

I'm aware these watches are no longer supported but the software is OK, the website is OK, connection to Strava and other platforms is OK and a secondhand TomTom Runner 3 can be obtained for bargain prices.