Ascent/Descent not showing/calculating

scubadunc
scubadunc Registered Users Posts: 12
Apprentice Seeker
I have noticed that the Ascent/Descent is not showing/calculating in my activities. For instance, I do a daily run of approx 6km with elevation of around 60m, however the ascent is shown as 0m in the activity. In strava, mapmyfitness and runkeeper the elevation is shown correctly.

Anyone else having this problem?

Answers

• scubadunc
    Apprentice Seeker
    Further to my question above, elevation shows correctly in the mysports app on my phone, but on the desktop web based version of mysports it shows as 0m
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    That is a new one I have never seen before. It is odd because the app is just a mirror of the website, it is not a separate database so they should match. Which specific model are you using, as some have a built-in altimeter while other use a digital elevation model based on the GPS track.
  • scubadunc
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have the TomTom Adventurer which does have the built in Altimeter. I have attached a screenshot of one of the activites...it shows ascent is 0m, however the elevation shows differently in the graph at the bottom

08xy917dp4od.jpg

• tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    I think the altimeter may be the issue. The elevation graph is from the digital elevation model which is applied during processing from the GPS data, but the ascent is from the watch's altimeter. There is a small port on the back of the watch for the altimeter, make sure it is clean and clear of debris they often get filled with sweat, dirt, etc., blocking it from getting a reading.
  • scubadunc
    Apprentice Seeker
    The port looks clean and debris free?
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    scubadunc wrote: »
    The port looks clean and debris free?

Can you see the cumulative elevation on the watch as you are using it?
  • scubadunc
    Apprentice Seeker
    no. neither climb nor gradient show during an exercise

how
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    scubadunc wrote: »
    no. neither climb nor gradient show during an exercise

how

In that case it is likely a problem with the altimeter in the watch. It is an Adventurer model, correct, as that is the only one with an altimeter? If so, if the port is clear then the device itself has failed and there is not much to be done. It is out of warranty and TT Sports does not offer a repair service (and they went out of business 4.5 years ago).
  • scubadunc
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes, it's the adventure model. Very annoying!