GO5000 - stuck in update loop

--Richard
--Richard Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
Since a recent update my GO5000 would crash frequently when navigating. I had a look in the forum and similar reports suggested that I do a System Reset. I did that - and I very much wish that I hadn't. I connnected to MyDrive, this initiated an update. This shows the "Updating Device" message - 8 minutes left, it works its way to 100% and says 'Finishing up... ". It then starts the Updating Device process again. It's been round this loop about 10 times now with no way to interrupt or stop the process.

Now what? How do I get back to a working system?
Tagged:

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,758
    Hi @--Richard
    I see the device already has the latest map and firmware installed.

Did you check what downloads were offered before proceeding with the updates?

Could you disconnect the device and do a soft reset?

Regards,
    Vikram
  • --Richard
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Vikram,

I've done the soft reset and the device is now working when operating stand alone.

I think that the orginal update listed was for Speed Cameras, but if I connect TomTom to MyDrive it immediately launches the update process and I'm back into the never-ending loop with the warning on TomTom to "Do not disconnect your device". It seems to survive being reset and disconnected but it's a new issue. No other error messages.

This now means that I have no way to update future maps & updates so something isn't right. It's worked without issue until a few weeks ago.

Richard
  • VikramK
    Hi Richard
    To avoid auto-starting of updates as soon as the device is connected, I would suggest that you follow few steps as below-

1. Disconnect the navigation device if connected to the computer.
    2. Quit MyDrive Connect application (Right-click on the MyDrive Connect icon in the notification area and click on 'Quit')
    3. Delete the HOME3 folder located at -

MacOS: Users\Your username\Library\Application Support\TomTom\
    Windows - C:\Users\"Your username"\AppData\Local\TomTom

4. Connect the device again and check for updates.

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • --Richard
    Apprentice Traveler
    Done that. I then connected TomTom to the computer (Windows10) and started MyDrive Connect. There was a very brief (<1 second) view of the pending updates and it immediately jumped to the 'Updating Device'. It started at around 65%, got to 100%... Finishing Up and then off it went round the loop again!

Earlier today I uninstalled MyDrive Connect, deleted all the directories (including the one you mentioned) then reinstalled a fresh version but that didn't help either.
  • VikramK
    Hi Richard
    Probably these are updates that are stuck in the download queue. Perhaps a security software/firewall or a restricted network is blocking it from getting downloaded.

See details under Case 3.1: in this article

Regards,
    Vikram
  • --Richard
    Apprentice Traveler
    It is stuck in the 'updating' stage - it appears to have downloaded whatever.

I enabled logs and I can see that it is trying to download a bunch of camera updates: if I open these URLs they load immediately so I'm pretty sure that it's not a firewall or network issue.

What's odd is that the logs show the update process, it appears to say 'success', then it goes round and downloads the same safetycams files again... and again.

If I look at the TomTom it shows 6.44GB of main memory free and 23.22GB of SD free (it's a 32GB card) so again it seems unlikely that it is running out of space.