Europ map looks to be corrupt

WJTOMTOM
WJTOMTOM Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Traveler
Hi all,
I tried to update my Europe map which already was on the SD-card of my GO5000/5100. I got a failure message and in the browser the Europe map was marked as 'beschadigd' (damaged/corrupt). I tried this several times and it takes like one hour and 15 minutes to load the big 8Gb map on the SD-card (which is 64Gb and empty for the rest). The problem repeated.

Then, as a test, I tried to load smaller maps: I added Venezuela to my system and Tunesia to my sd-card, two small maps of the library but countries that are not on my list to visit.

Since the upload worked fine, I conclude my systems works allright, but the Europe card has a problem, as indicated in the browser. Can this be fixed please? There used to be Europe cards in parts, I would only need Western Europe, that could be a solution as well.

As for now, the system asked me to delete the old map, so I have nothing at the moment. Rather frustrating.

Thanks for helping out,

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,444
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

The maximum recommended by Tomtom is 32 GB

corrupted map, it must be deleted and re-uploaded by following this FAQ: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959859-Télécharger-de-nouveau-une-carte
  • WJTOMTOM
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Willy875,

thanks for pointing me to this solution. According to the FAQ, I also need to reset the device, which requires a battery-reload, that is ongoing now. I will let you know how it worked out.

best,
    Wim
  • WJTOMTOM
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Willy875
    Unfortunately, the update failed again. I tried 2 times after having reset my device.
    Again, the map is labeled as damaged. What can I do ?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,444
    Revered Voyager
    Check back tomorrow to see if moderator @VikramK can review your account and assign you a map to download.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,813
    Hi @WJTOMTOM
    We have activated a different version of the Europe map (Offered in smaller countries/regions) for your TomTom. Could you remove the SD card and try installing a smaller map?

- Vikram
  • WJTOMTOM
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi, I managed to install smaller maps on my system and also a map on the SD-card. Unfortunately this means I will need to switch maps when I cross boarders, which leaves me with a sub-optimal solution.

It is a pity that the Western Europe map refuses to install, since this is the map that would cover practically all my foreseeable trips.

How can it be that the map of Southern Europe does load, and the Western Europe does not? Is size an issue here? Southern Europe map is ± 3Gb, Western Europe ± 5Gb. Both my internal memory as well as the SD-card have sufficient space to accommodate them.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    edited April 5
    Hi
    @WJTOMTOM
    32GB is the Max recommended Micro SDHC Memory Card size for a Tomtom device...
    FAT32 is the base for TomTom's proprietary format for storing Maps....
    32GB is the maximum size that a Micro SDHC Memory Card can be formatted to FAT32....

The 64GB Memory cards are SDXC and formatted exFAT....
    There are none standard/unofficial 3rd party formatting tools available for your PC....
    >> BUT << how reliable will be your stored data be ??? I wouldn't like a crashed Map mid journey :/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • WJTOMTOM
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi,
    Finally I managed to upload the Western Europe map to my SD-card, which is good news indeed. I also managed to add Eastern Europe to it, having it all complete again.
    A few years ago, when I could no longer cram the Europe map on the system memory, I got myself a 64 Gb card. Apparently this type of card is now discouraged.

Thanks for providing me with smaller maps, it really helped me to get going again, although I still don't quite get why it worked this time!

All the best,