TomTom GO Navigation Screen Mirroring

Springs
Springs Registered Users Posts: 44
Renowned Wayfarer
Today I received a TomTom marketing email telling me that GO Navigation is bigger and better and that it has a screen mirroring feature which can project directions to your car's in-dash screen. The button for Android merely opens the TomTom GO Navigation installation page on Google Play and there is no further information about this apparently new feature. The app is exactly the same version I already have installed on my phone so I assume that I already have this feature but that it is hidden.

Now, I may be missing something here, but how is this feature any different to just running the app on Android Auto? The lack of any explanation in the email or the email link is unhelpful. Looking at this app forum I can't see any announcements about this new feature - is this marketing email jumping the gun for something that hasn't yet been released?

Maybe someone can explain how I can activate/use this screen mirroring feature.
Thanks

Answers

• MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 548
    Revered Pioneer
    That's marketing speech :neutral:
    It suggests to get a real mirroring as we all wish to have.

Screen Mirroring with the words of TT means never Screen Mirroring completely.
    The App is projecting directions according a limited template set by Google's Android Auto only.

Sorry for bad news.
  • Springs
    Renowned Wayfarer
    edited April 4
    Well, if that's the case then it's a black mark for the marketing people as Android Auto isn't specifically mentioned and the images in the email - see below - clearly show the app side-bar displayed on the car's dash screen.

So, are the marketing people jumping the gun about AA allowing side-bars on the dash screen, deliberately misleading the customers about app functions which don't yet exist, or simply don't talk to the TomTom technical team to understand how the app works?

Whichever way you look at this it seems like a marketing screw-up :(

n0aodegr32f7.png

• Springs
    Renowned Wayfarer
    xawp0409c7oe.png
  • MUP
    Revered Pioneer
    edited April 4
    That's valid for iOS as of August 2021.
    In that date TT got permission from Apple to integrate in theire template, so CarPlay is shown the passive(!) routebar.

TT is still waiting to get permission from Google for theire AndroidAuto template.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1135847/tomtom-go-route-bar-not-visible-when-used-via-android-auto

• Springs
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Ok, in that case I'll have to put this down to TomTom marketing being inept i.e. they're suggesting that these facilities are available to both Android and Apple systems when in fact its only available on Apple.

Secondly, they're sending out these mail-shots to customers who they know already have a paid subscription to the app, so they're not going to make any extra sales from this.
  • MUP
    Revered Pioneer
    edited April 5