Vehicle identifier at app start-up

Tigger38
Tigger38 Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Seeker
After the latest update, the app asked what vehicle I am using, so I put in bike/car as I will be using my motorbike on the next journey. When I closed the app and restarted it it didn't ask again, which I hoped it would, as use a van most of the time. Is this something that can be done to ask every time it is opened?

Best Answer

• MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 566
    Revered Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Thanks @Tigger38
    Should be MotorBike instead of Bike.

Answers

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,412
    Exalted Pioneer
    the app supposed to be for car vehicle
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,390
    Revered Voyager
    Tigger38 wrote: »
    After the latest update, the app asked what vehicle I am using, so I put in bike/car as I will be using my motorbike on the next journey. When I closed the app and restarted it it didn't ask again, which I hoped it would, as use a van most of the time. Is this something that can be done to ask every time it is opened?

Answer Tomtom
    GO Navigation is optimized for car navigation.
    With our latest map technology, we cannot guarantee an optimal route for cycling and walking, so we have decided to remove these types of routes.
    Additionally, these route types are used less than 0.5% of the time by our current user base.

If that's the answer you're looking for.
  • Tigger38
    Apprentice Seeker
    The app can be used for whatever vehicle you use. On a daily basis I use it in a van, but occasionally use my phone in a proper case on my bike.
    As I said, when I initially opened the app after the update,it asked what vehicle I wanted to use. It gave the option of car/motorcycle or van/lorry/bus. This would be a good option at startup as vans etc have different speeds and routes to cars/bikes.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    It is on the Mydrive application that you can select a car, motorcycle, van, truck trip, not on the Tomtom Go application.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Check back on Monday to see what moderator @lampard has to say.
  • Tigger38
    Apprentice Seeker
    Cheers. I'm hoping they'll do it on the Go app.
  • MUP
    Revered Pioneer
    edited April 2
    v3.3.86

High @lampard
    On my german based GO App I got this image only once at startup this morning.
    Not designed for pedestrian and bike navigations, so why is TT questioning for "Car/Bike" ?

Spring is just around the corner, I will use my bike next time.
    Any secret plans to expand the GO App for "Bike" too or introduce mySPIN?

i1e6fddaoz0y.png
  • Tigger38
    Apprentice Seeker
    Cheers MUP,
    That's the message that came up on mine, but like you, only once.
    When I say bike, I mean motorbike, not sure about yourself.
    It would be a handy feature, if it adjusts routing to match the vehicle.
  • MUP
    Revered Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Thanks @Tigger38
    Should be MotorBike instead of Bike.

• Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,205
    Community Manager
    This popup is only a survey since we're looking into extending the app for larger vehicles. It is not changing any settings in regards to the vehicle type.
  • MUP
    Revered Pioneer
    Thanks @Jürgen , that's valid for r3.3.86.

In b3.4.1 it already works more, extending e.g. setting the size of a large vehicle or dangerous type of cargo.
    So after releasing the App only the NDS company has to follow the settings e.g. the height for bridges or radius of road curves :smiley:
  • Tigger38
    Apprentice Seeker
    Jürgen wrote: »
    This popup is only a survey since we're looking into extending the app for larger vehicles. It is not changing any settings in regards to the vehicle type.

Hi
    If that's the case, my response was wrong as I tapped on what I was going to use that day. Most days I use the app in my company van.
  • MUP
    Revered Pioneer
    Would be more sense to split into different Apps also for maintenance by developers.
    See TT's response for requesting mySPIN.
  • Tigger38
    Apprentice Seeker
    Instead of different apps, could it be an add-on to the Go app. I would find it useful in the van if it would adjust speed limits to the vehicle, and pick routes suitable too.
  • MUP
    Revered Pioneer
    Could also be easily done by integrating a detection of Bluetooth-ID for every car inside the TT-App.
  • dezmo
    dezmo Registered Users Posts: 94
    Revered Navigator
    This popup is only a survey ...

Can you please share the result?
  • Constantin87
    Constantin87 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Traveler
    edited April 12

Not sure it was the right idea, to ask the users of an app designed for cars if they want to use it in a hgv.You could check something else...how many users you have on the NDS apps that still have the hgv dimensions option active. I'd say go for a proper truck app as you have the maps and the people to do it and as long as you keep the monthly subscription option it would be a hit.
    The hgv satnavs need a smartphone connection for traffic anyway so why the second device?
    Either an app or a satnav with a data sim would be well received.
  • Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 83
    Supreme Trailblazer
    I think it's better to have one navigation system and just choose the vehicle type. Especially that many things are/should be the same. And there will be no inside competition between projects (as it seems to be between TomTomGo and AmiGo) - all efforts are to improve one product then. And one apk installed on phone, one set of maps means less memory.