TomTom Start 25 won't switch mapzones

User345
User345 Registered Users Posts: 4
Novice Seeker
I have a TomTom Start 25 that I have been able to update in recent years with smaller maps because the full map will not fit. A few days ago, I updated MyDrive Connect and updated to a new version of the Eastern US and Canada Mapzone v1085.11317, Release date: 1/2022. I had intended to download the Southern one for an upcoming trip, but I couldn't find that option before committing to the update. Now, whenever I try to change to the Southern zone map, I get an "Oops, something went wrong" error. I have tried reinstalling MyDrive Connect, doing a complete factory reset on the GPS, and clearing the cache on the general settings in MyDrive Connect. Is there any way to fix this? MyDrive Connect says it has 441 MB free.

Comments

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 295
    Supreme Pioneer
    @User345
    Use a 16 gigabite memory card
  • User345
    Novice Seeker
    edited March 30
    Thanks for the tip! I thought it was just too old to have a card slot, but by searching for another post on this topic, I see that it looks like there is a card slot above where the power lead connects. If I had noticed this earlier, I would have gotten a card long ago to avoid having to switch between the smaller maps for certain trips. I will try to find the manual or instructions for my device to verify whether there are any special requirements on the card. Does any micro-SDHC card and size work? I know it doesn't need to be super large.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,372
    Revered Voyager
    @User345

Preferably choose a well-known brand SD card from 16 to 32 GB class 10
  • User345
    Novice Seeker
    I just put in and formatted a 32GB card that shows up as free space, but I still get the same error message. The menu showing my active map has a picture of the entire US and Canada (though it states it is the Eastern section) and shows that the current map takes up 4091 MB, which the "remove content from device" also shows, even though the map section should only be about 2987 MB. I might have done something that tried to add the whole map earlier (without enough space) which makes the MyDrive account think that a larger map is on there, but only the Eastern and Canada section is installed and working. I wish I could just remove the map on there to start over, but that is the only map I have access to and I can't switch it. Is there anything to do to fix this? I also emailed support.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,833
    Superuser
    Hi @User345

Look back later to see if @VikramK is able to assist you with a small map.

Doug
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,758
    Hi @User345
    A different version of the map has been activated on the account. If you check for updates now, the new maps should be offered as smaller countries and regions.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • User345
    Novice Seeker
    Thanks Vikram! I was able to load one of the other maps (US and Canada) onto the SD card, which should be sufficient for my purposes. I think I just needed a different map rather than trying to update the sections of the one that was causing problems. Do I need to leave a map on the device itself, or can I delete it if there is a map on the Memory card? Perhaps the issue with the map on the device will correct itself when it is ready to be updated.