Mapshare Outage - Acceptance of POI changes for change of location and closed business

Lost_Soul
Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 412
Supreme Pioneer
Did anyone else notice the outage we had on Mapshare for the last day or so?

But it is working today and I was pleasantly surprised to see my latest 2 POI changes had been accepted. :)

As previously having submitted a dozen or so changes, the vast majority were rejected with the reason given as "Source Conflict".

I was asking TomTom to delete POI's where a company had closed down and ceased to trade - I included in my report a screen shot from (UK) Companies House showing the company concerned had been dissolved and or struck off the Companies register ............ in some cases 2 or more years ago.

How can Tomtom have a "source conflict" on a defunct and no longer trading company.................. ? :s

The other rejections were for POI's located on the map incorrectly, in some cases it was 300 street numbers away / 0.5 miles distance. I made a small report explaining the issue, that the POI was incorrectly located on the map and attached either screenshots from Google Street view and or the company registration details from Companies House showing the same street number as the POI details, but yet TomTom rejected the change.

- this does not give me much confidence with POI accuracy or the impetus to aid TomTom to correct their maps. B)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 26
    HI Lost Soul,

Would you like for me to report the changes for you or is everything sorted out now, though I didn`t any outages in the past few days, is sending a lot of feedback :)

Thanks
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @Shawnloveshorses_161

Thank you for your kind offer but it would not be very efficient / take ages if I report "several hundred POI changes" ( this is only the first stage looking at a small area on the map!) to you and then you relay them to TomTom........ :o

Do you know physically where the Mapshare team are based?

I am wondering if part of the reason for my having so many rejections is that the team may not fully understand the terms "ceased to trade, application to strike-off, struck off, dissolved" etc relating to when a company closes down here in the UK........... :s

What wording have you used successfully to convey to TomTom a POI is no longer there?

It would be helpful if we could email / contact the Mapshare team as they seem to reject without giving a detailed reason.............

Or perhaps TomTom could give us all a clue as to what documents are acceptable proof when reporting a change of location / companies cease to trade etc.

@Jurgen @lampard @VikramK Can you assist here please? :)
    i.e. what documents / information is acceptable to the Mapshare team as we want to improve the accuracy of the POI's on the maps.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 27
    Thank you for explaining @Lost_Soul :)

I fully understand what you are going through, and I have the same experience in my local area with many stuffs incorrect, always due to some 3rd party source online that is giving unactual info. Though, it is not always their fought as the owners never updated them :(

After researching a while, they do have those special cars similar to what google uses for street view and to map out new roads, with special sensors and cameras to capture new data, though most of the time they use videos, governmental sources, imagery, and most of it is processed in India.

Though, they work around the globe :)

I haven't really submitted much of business that closed or never existed since you may know in reality if they will open back up or they are temporarily closed, this is a very small business, very little footprint on the internet, or some business that moved and the new company move in.. Updating business is a very complicated to make sure it is done right, to not affect the end consumers :)

Also, not every city in the world requires a business license to some companies so it is not always best to rely on license websites as well...

As well, you may use the wide world web to use the clues on Mapshare like the phone number or name to find out the source that is misleading or find the POI on Bing and see where it gets the source.

Try using simple terms like "Permmantly closed, non-exist" :)

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 27
    https://theodi.org/article/tomtom-data-assurance-is-critical-for-us-and-its-so-difficult-to-do/

https://www.tomtom.com/blog/maps/continuous-map-processing/

https://www.tomtom.com/blog/maps/continuous-map-processing/

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/tomtom/115883-how-tomtom-maps-are-made

It is very complex to update a map full of new addresses, a lot of stuff to consider more than names and numbers, weight restrictions, road restrictions, speed limits, also they rely on any open data they can get :) Not all that data is accurate, though every report usually has a comment if you are a top contributor with the new dashboard.

MapShare team is separate from the map team, they only deal with bugs with the reporting tool, not the maps themselves. Privacy and data-keeping security is a priority as well, Microsoft just got a big source code leak for maps...

@Lost_Soul Very exciting news, you can now edit your submissions on map share, go to your reports on the map then you can click edit :)

• Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @Shawnloveshorses_161

Thanks for the links, I had previously read some but not the first link that was published in 2012 and it was interesting to read back then there were some 600-900 TomTom staff in India working on these type of issues versus the October 2021 link which referred to only 100 staff, which may partly account for the multiple rejections I have been receiving!!!

As it is easier to simply reject a Mapshare change citing a "source conflict" without giving details of the conflict, rather than spending time checking the validity of a submission......... :(;)

I would like to become one of the Mapshare Heroes; :D but giving the arbitrary rejection of my submissions, this does not look to be likely.

I am unable; although I would like to, edit my Mapshare submissions and can only assume this useful feature along with receiving comments on a report submission, must be restricted to those "top contributors with the new dashboard". :s
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 27
    Hi @Lost_Soul,

Sorry for the confusion of the edit feature, since it showed this slideshow of how to use the mapshare without being logined in and showed that you could edit, it may roll out to others soon.

Sometimes business move or change or closed or reopen, there are lot of cases I found that I was wrong and TomTom was right, there are these small companies that don't have a website and are shared by family or friends on Facebook for example. Some cities don't require a license or to show all the business in the public database :)

Though, sometimes the sources they rely on are out of date and you need to provide strong evidence that the sources are wrong.

Anyways, if you would like, I can help with the reporting for you, if you provide the area in the map and the website you reference from, UK board??
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 27
    Just to note that a lot of map providers like Bing or Here Maps or Google only provide you to give feedback but there is no commentary either on why ti was rejected or such...

I find TomTom when they do accept my feedback to fix and correct it within a week, others may only do quarterly updates though TomTom is the 2nd best to Google..
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Sadly, there are those who abuse the system and put tons of fake reports and try to take down stuff that shouldn't. https://www.androidpolice.com/google-maps-machine-learning-block-100-million-abusive-edits/
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    I sincerely hope that my submissions were not considered "fake reports" as I spent a large amount of time researching each and every POI change / deletion that I was intending submitting.

I checked back and the largest number submitted on one day was 15 POI location amendments/or deletions - I had 4 accepted 11 rejected. :(
    Surely this small number would not have triggered an AI type rejection, treating them as fake reports?? :/

i.e. what documents / information is acceptable to the Mapshare team as we want to improve the accuracy of the POI's on the maps.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 29
    I wouldn't believe they will flag yours as "Fake reports" , I am very disappointed that you were not able to get any of your reports accepted, and why I am getting them accepted.

I usually just click permmantly closed or give them a link that it is closed. There are times when online crawling is good to find the very small business but sometimes business don't update them when they closed :(

Were all 11 were rejected due to source conflict? Can you give me some examples??
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Shawnloveshorses_161

Thank you, but as I have identified literally "hundreds" of POI's that require attention in one form or another (I am only looking at a small area first!) it would be counterproductive as I said above to report all of these to you and then you relay them to TomTom........ :o

It would be a benefit if I could "edit" (as you appear to be able to do* see below where I have snipped part of your thread) my rejected mapshare submissions and provide additional information as otherwise I will have to resubmit them again in their entirety which will prolong the correction process and the time I am spending on this issue - I do not want to spend an hour or more on each POI correction ......................... :s

* Very exciting news, you can now edit your submissions on map share, go to your reports on the map then you can click edit :)

This does not work for me ! B)

I really need some feedback from Tomtom, so I can start to progress the submission of the "hundreds" of POI's that require attention to improve the accuracy of the maps.

i.e. what documents / information is acceptable to the Mapshare team?
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 29
    HI @Lost_Soul

I was checking on my test mapshare account and found it has logined me out due to expiration. This slideshow played showing I could edit reports, also I only reported one issue on the map.

It seems it is rolling out gradually to everyone, the account doesn`t have the edit feature but it may have it very soon. :)

jkmr2r69arkz.png

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    I am currently checking on how many reports it will take for you to get the top contributors, I really hope you can get it :) Though, not every non valid thing will have a through comment on why it was rejected...

• Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Baby Steps going forward :)

I just tried to log in to Mapshare and saw the slideshow referred to above "hinting" that I should be able to Edit and Resubmit.

bgt3wa9uzqk3.png

But my Mapshare does not yet have the "Actions" Column referred to, so near and yet so far............... B)

Will have to wait patiently until the next version of Mapshare is rolled out to us Users here in the UK .