Tomtom Go Expert wifi "connected, no internet"

Daz473
Daz473 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
Hadn't used my Go Expert in a little while and battery was empty. Charged it up and turned it on, "We are having trouble accessing Tomtom services".

Check the wifi "Connected, no internet". No idea why as internet is fine and firewall isn't blocking the tomtom. "forgot" the wifi connection and set it up again...."connected, no internet". Tried a soft reset.....same problem. Tried a reset back to factory defaults...same problem. Connected using my Samsung S22 as a hotspot "connected, no internet".

As an experiment hit forgotten password on Tomtom Account screen on the Go Expert, entered email address and seconds later received a "password update request" in my email on the PC, so it is connected and has access to the internet despite what the screen says.

Kind of at a loss as to what to try next. Love the tomtom when it works but when it doesn't it's an excercise in frustration.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Daz473
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Got it working. No idea why but the how was simple.

Set it up in the car and went for a brief 15 minute drive. Get back home and it connects instantly to home wifi while I'm sat outside house. Updated software and now everything seems fine.

Don't know if it was a GPS, wifi or software issue. Nothing had changed about the home wifi setup, hadn't even reset the tomtom since the last failed attempt to connect to internet properly. So thanks for the suggestions but we may never know what exactly was the problem. :)

Answers

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 288
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Daz473
    Write email to customer care along with the screen picture.
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 17,727
    Superuser
    Does your Router support 5GHZ WIFI? Some devices have problems with that.
    So use a 2.4GHZ wifi or 5GHZ in the lower cahnnels.
  • Daz473
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Got it working. No idea why but the how was simple.

Set it up in the car and went for a brief 15 minute drive. Get back home and it connects instantly to home wifi while I'm sat outside house. Updated software and now everything seems fine.

Don't know if it was a GPS, wifi or software issue. Nothing had changed about the home wifi setup, hadn't even reset the tomtom since the last failed attempt to connect to internet properly. So thanks for the suggestions but we may never know what exactly was the problem. :)
  • Ricp
    Ricp Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Same issue - after long time without using and no battery…

Any ideas - am charging it to see if it helps.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,354
    Revered Voyager
    @Ricp

Recharge your GPS via a mains charger for smartphones.
  • Daz473
    Apprentice Seeker
    No idea what exactly "fixed" mine but a drive in the car sorted it out. Maybe it was a poor gps signal, maybe it needed to be away from possible networks....I have no idea. All I did was charge it up, take it for a drive and when I returned home it connected to my home wifi and the internet straightaway.

Up until then it appeared to connect to the wifi but kept insisting there was no internet (that was on both my home wifi and when I used my mobile as a hotspot).