Should I go through TomTom or Bing to correct/add addresses?

nwfmike
nwfmike Registered Users Posts: 23
Master Explorer
edited March 28 in Map quality
Hello,
We are in the process of building a house in a newer community. Current residents have been having problems getting packages delivered with the packages being lost or delivered to a nearby road with a name that is close. It's also been a challenge to get friends or service personnel routed to the house when using a gps.

I spent most of the last month working with someone in the Google community to get roads correctly named, addresses corrected with a wrong road name attached and finally new houses added. I supplied a community layout as well as photos which allowed things to progress to the point that the community in it's current state is correctly represented on Google maps. This worked out well today as a contractor was able to find our house using Waze but not in Garmin.

Since I've added those addresses, I see they are showing up on Bing Maps; however they are all off by ~100' (or 33meters) +- . I've tried making changes with Bing to no avail and finally posted in a couple different Bing forums asking for help. Someone in the tech community forum answered and said that Bing gets all of their data through Tom Tom (Hence why I'm here). Looking at TomTom mapshare, I don't see any of the addresses showing up so was wondering if what I was told by the Microsoft tech was incorrect.

Current Google Maps showing our addresses: gydvqo3nlc9y.jpg
Current Bing Maps of same areas: m2h3cgjrvlxx.jpg
Current TomTom Maps of a section of the same area with address points layer switched on: wt6hw2mmbchr.jpg

Either way, I'd also like to get all of our addresses updated/added within Tom Tom as well. Is there a group of preferred information I should submit with each update that will ensure additions are added and approximately how long would it take for a submission to be approved and show up on the maps.

Thank you!

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @nwfmike

Great to see you over here, 145 Cedar Branch Trail for example is shown on map if searched up though maybe it doesn't show the other address plain on a map :(

You may search go to the correct location on map and click it, press address, then add it :)

@VikramK & @lampard Could you help Michael get in touch with the TomTom Map team so he, city can work together to get this sorted? A direct contact, thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 22
    As TomTom is the main supplier for Bing Maps, usually the TomTom map updates are every Monday, so likely Bing Maps will get updated a bit later in the week :)

Either way TomTom will be the one correctly the issue, as Bing checks with supplier to verify change, update then publish it which may take a few weeks.

have a wonderful day!
  • nwfmike
    Master Explorer
    Hi @nwfmike

Great to see you over here, 145 Cedar Branch Trail for example is shown on map if searched up though maybe it doesn't show the other address plain on a map :(

You may search go to the correct location on map and click it, press address, then add it :)

@VikramK & @lampard Could you help Michael get in touch with the TomTom Map team so he, city can work together to get this sorted? A direct contact, thanks

You are correct. For Cedar Branch Trail, 145, 137, 166, 192 show up in the search bar and the place pin are within ~50' of being correct ; however 209, 233, 241, 249,257,263,271, 319,327,351, 378 are on the street but not even close to the correct location while they are at least close in Bing Maps. 127 and 141 Cherry Blossom Court are off, but shown on the right street while on Bing, they are shown nearby, but not in the neighborhood. What does it indicate when the address will show up in the search bar, but does not show up when the address points layer is switched on?

Appreciate the help working through this!
  • nwfmike
    Master Explorer

Hi @nwfmike

After looking at it a bit more, I see whats going on and it makes sense with what I see on HERE maps. The reason is shows up in search is that I believe there is a range of addresses associated with the neighborhood. You can type in a number in the range and it will show up in search. Typing in a number outside the range (500 for example) will not show up in the search.

Looking at HERE map creator that is supposed to allow updates/changes, if you click around the road, they seem to show many potential addresses like in this screenshot. All the red dots show cooresponding addresses. The bottom left corner of the black box lands on a potential 330 address. Our house, 327 is on the apex of the corner and then next house to be built there will be 335.
    kpz69gbne9y1.gif

I have a digital copy of the municipal deed book that shows the entire community (came from our appraisal) with all addresses once complete. It's very low resolution, however so I'm trying to get a better copy.

qyahd0xqei6o.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 22
    Hi Michael,

What I would suggest is that you manually use the coordinates from Google Maps or from your sources paste it into MapShare, then click it, then press address, then put in the comments, this is the correct location and should remove the existing one and attach that picture :) Also, you can ask your city to work with TomTom :)

Assuming TomTom, Here Maps doesn't have the deed book or the right source that shows exactly what is placed they put it in the road just for now until they have proof as they probably going off the imagery which doesn't show all the new houses yet...

It would be great if you can tell me about the incorrect address on the map plus the coordinates please or you could manually go to each coordinate, press address :)

Thank you :)

Shawn

PS: Some of the reports I made with the address have been approved, kindly provide me the list of address..

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    It would be great as well if you can get a higher resolution of the deed book if possible today.
  • nwfmike
    Master Explorer
    Ok, Shawn! I have attached higher resolution community plat with all completed or in-progress homes with the addresses highlighted in yellow. The file came as two documents so I put them together in an image editor and added the highlighting. Had to save it out as a PDF to maintain the resolution. I've also included another file with addresses and lat-longs I grabbed from the locations in Google. The first column corresponds to the numbered circle on each of the lots.

We are new to this area so I'll need to research a bit to figure out who to contact regarding getting the data into a GIS system. I believe they may have some kind of system but I'll need to research it further.

Really appreciate your help!
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Thank you, Michael,

I have already done some address adding this morning comparing with Google Maps and will add the remaining ones, will add another reply later when it is accepted and when on the TomTom Maps.

Then we shall wait when Bing maps gets the new map data source :)

have a wonderful day!
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    I would assume TomTom relies on City provided open-source data source like a GIS system for adding in residential address and the rest of stuff is relying on 3rd party sources or people like you who provide this data :)

According to Bing, there is no GIS system for your city or its only for internal staff only, have a great day!
  • nwfmike
    Master Explorer
    Hi Shawn,
    Check this out: https://loudontn.geopowered.com/propertysearch/ Go to the property search menu on the left of the page and search by address. In the address bar put "371 Cedar Branch Trl" Without the quotes but with Trl spelled exactly like that. It will center on that lot. Let it sit for a bit while it draws in the rest of the info. Go ahead and roll your mouse back 2 click to zoom out and then wait until the screen redraws with new data. Looks like all the needed data is there. LatLongs update with the cursor.

You'll also notice at the bottom right: "Esri Community Maps Contributors, Tennessee STS GIS, © OpenStreetMap, Microsoft, Esri, HERE, Garmin, SafeGraph, GeoTechnologies, Inc, METI/NASA, USGS, EPA, NPS, US Census Bureau, USDA"

Let me know what questions I need to ask as I think I may have a contact located.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    That`s wonderful Michael, I am not sure what source data is being used from Bing or Here though it may be base maps or other details.

It would be great if you can inform your city to work with TomTom on this to implement not only this area but other parts of the Country so TomTom maps will be up to date :)

I will suggest to the Map share about it,

Thank yoU!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    All you need do right now is ask them to work with TomTom to get the map data and other technical stuff implemented into the Mpas so further developments will be added properly.
  • nwfmike
    Master Explorer
    Sounds good. I'm not sure how robust their mapping team is but it's worth asking. I know there is a lot of development going on in this county (by the way, this GIS data is *only* for this specific county) so hopefully they'll find it useful to work with TomTom. If they can, is there a specific contact/email address they should use?
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 22
    Well, according to this it is up to the city or county to work or hire a firm to update this stuff in external map providers :) Though I believe if the city is aware of this issue, they will escalate this properly to get it fixed :)

As well of Bing, Apple does use some TomTom data as well so it would benefit the end-users to have correct map services across platforms and services. :)

https://www.gps.gov/support/user/mapfix/devices-and-maps/

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Kindly note, as well that the gis map doesn't give a certain point of address it is just a boundary line so maybe that is why the map has the points a bit off :0
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Asking them to use this support link may work with the chat box and sending a question, then maybe they will get it escalated to the right team :)

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hey Michael, it would be great as well if you report these issues to Apple Maps as well/..
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi Michael,

Everything that I have requested for new addressing for the new apartment buildings to be added with your list has been accepted, we shall wait until next Monday when it gets updated on the maps and it may take time to translate into Bing Maps, ...

have a wonderful week!

Shawn
  • nwfmike
    Master Explorer
    Great, thank you very much Shawn! I'll get an email out to the Loudon County GIS team today and see where that goes.

Have a great week as well :smile:
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Thank you Michael, that would allow the city to help them update the maps in a big scale, have a great day too!

Shawn
  • nwfmike
    Master Explorer
    Hi Shawn!

Spent all yesterday researching and sending out emails. I found the county data originates with the E911 office. Just received a reply from the GIS manager for Loudon county E911. He uploads data to the state twice a week and assumed that's where all of the mapping companies like Tom Tom, Google, etc grabbed data.

I passed on to him a link from Google describing the process to upload data into the system: https://support.google.com/mapcontentpartners/answer/9359574?hl=en and he has created an account and will work to get data uploaded.

Does TomTom have a similar process? Basically, need to make the process to upload data (new, updates, etc) as painless as possible. I know you posted a link to where they could ask a question, but it would be better if they had a process in place similar to Google.

Getting changes into Apple may be problematic unless they get TomTom or OpenStreetMap data since they are a closed system and I don't have an Apple device.

I did add our streets and some houses to OpenStreetMaps today and am attempting to make some progress with HERE.

Making Progress!

Michael.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 24
    HI Michael,

It would be best for the privacy of others to not add the addresses of others in OpenStreetMap due to privacy reasons , it would be best that you submit feedback via Bing.com/maps feedback link or Windows maps Suggest Change or Map Share.

https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare - Place to suggest edits and stuff :)

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-ca/articles/360013960619-About-MapShare-reporter

https://feedback.azuremaps.com

https://www.bing.com/maps

Windows Maps

About the same as reporting from Google Maps, suggest edits and feedback, see 2nd link for more info. Keeping city GIS or data sources online will be a big help :)

Though please make sure they always attach documents of these new changes or map stuff so that they will have an official source to verify as everything is anomaly reported.

For the business in the city, that is likely for a business to update as they know best, transit stops and parks should be checked too :)

FYI:

Suggesting on Bing Maps is similar, either Bing.com/maps use feedback or Windows Maps Suggest Change, no need for an account.

Adding transit services APIS - https://www.bing.com/maps/transitcontentproviders :)

Thank you!

PS: They could try contacting 1 (866) 486-6866 - TomTom Support or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/report-bug. Let's see if the city can get escalated to an internal team to work with the companies to fix data.

[email protected] Try this email for reporting map data issues to Apple - City emails them and if not, report using the Report tools in macOS.

https://support.apple.com/guide/maps/report-a-problem-mps366d4598f/mac#:~:text=In the Maps app on your Mac, do,Report an Issue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

• nwfmike
    Master Explorer
    Thanks Shawn,

I'm not concerned about OpenStreetMap. All I'm doing is adding roads and addresses from the County Tax Assessor site which is publicly accessible. I added the link to the site on my edits so the data can be checked.

Appreciate the links, but any manual process is going to be too cumbersome for a city or state government office to accomplish. Honestly, data needs to be a simple push from the government agency or a pull from from the mapping companies. A pull makes more sense but a push of data that is simple seems doable.

I'll pass on the emails and phone number to the country GIS manager and see what progress he makes.

Thanks again for your help..interested to see how soon TomTom updates their maps with your changes and if/when those updates get propagated to Bing!

Best,
    Michael
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 24
    Hi Michael,

I am assuming TomTom is getting the data from the GIS or other sources, which the city can keep updated through how does the Google reporting work may I ask?

Is it just sending a map image and they fix it, that is how the Google Maps feedback tool works online for consumers...?

Yes, Bing Maps will integrate all the new updates from TomTom when ready and it will take some time to integrate it everywhere from search to maps to offline maps of Windows Maps.

Though it is more of a priority to get TomTom, Apple, Google, Here Maps up to date as those are the majority of where users go to as Bing maps don't have a mobile app except the non-existent Lumia phones.

Anyways, please make sure that the whole neighbourhood you are adding to open street maps is not in isolation, like on address point and the rest nothing, yes public data.

That is why I rely on TomTom, Google, Bing to take the reports seriously as well as add the right details without privacy loss.

Anyways you are doing a wonderful day!

Have a wonderful day!

Shawn
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 24
    Every update you do to OpenstreetMaps is linked to you in the public view, it would take time for Bing Maps + Windows Maps to incorporate the new addressing showing on maps, plus the routing, as well as some roads that are new, are not taken into account.

The best solution forward is to making sure that the TomTom team is using the GIS from the City and everything is up to date, so on...