Lifetime map updates - no European maps available

Arundel
Arundel Registered Users Posts: 2
New Seeker
Good evening,

I have a GO 1000 and I'm trying to update the map for a trip to the UK next week but I can only see North American maps. My subscription says it comes with lifetime maps and I have loaded European maps in the past but nothing seems to be available.

I haven't used this device in a few years and with the travel restrictions I haven't ventured too far away from home.

Is there a way to get access to the European maps to download on this device?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,833
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Arundel

Lifetime Maps applies to the range of maps loaded on a device or immediately available for download to it. Maps which are available to purchase and use on a device are usually a one off load with the possible option of updates for a period of say up to 18 months but not a Lifetime Update option. The latter maps usually require further purchase options for further updates after any updates available immediately after initial purchase. So if your device came with the USA map only and you subsequently purchased a Europe Map the latter map will not have a lifetime update just because the USA map does.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,833
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Arundel

Lifetime Maps applies to the range of maps loaded on a device or immediately available for download to it. Maps which are available to purchase and use on a device are usually a one off load with the possible option of updates for a period of say up to 18 months but not a Lifetime Update option. The latter maps usually require further purchase options for further updates after any updates available immediately after initial purchase. So if your device came with the USA map only and you subsequently purchased a Europe Map the latter map will not have a lifetime update just because the USA map does.

Doug
  • Arundel
    Arundel Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Thanks for the quick response Doug,

I was looking for the offline guidance that the old device would give me and was hoping it could be updated with a current UK map but I guess that won't work in this case.

I just downloaded the Android TomTom app and will give that a test run.

Thanks again for your help.