How to get my voice control to work. Both Malcolm and Serena are silent

Smudgerbug
Smudgerbug Registered Users Posts: 3
New Seeker
edited March 18 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Just bought a new 520 Go Pro but the voice control doesn't work. Both computer voices (Malcolm and Serena) do not make any sounds nor can I get the device to read aloud my messages. They pop up and I see a button to read aloud but nothing, not a word.
I have done several soft resets and several factory resets but to no avail. I have wasted hours on this brand new device. I am close to taking it back and exchanging for a Garmin unless I can get it to work as it should.

Answers

• Jim07
    Jim07 Administrators Posts: 4,363
    Hi @Smudgerbug

Could you check your volume bar. Maybe it is set to zero.

To avoid a speaker issue, when you start your device do you hear the drum sound?

KD,

Jim.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,785
    Superuser
    edited March 18
    Hi
    @Smudgerbug
    Further to Jim07 post...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) -->
    Are any of the Sound Icons slashed through ???
    It's really easy to accidently turn off the sound Icons if you swipe the menu screens near the bottom part of the screen ;)
    Note... The Day/Night screen brightness Icon...
    Should be slashed through....
    dy49cl5hc6cc.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Smudgerbug
    New Seeker
    Jim07 wrote: »
    Hi @Smudgerbug

Could you check your volume bar. Maybe it is set to zero.

To avoid a speaker issue, when you start your device do you hear the drum sound?

KD,

Jim.

Of course the volume is up. The speaker is working. I hear the drums and the pre recorded voices are working.

It matters not now anyway. I am quite tech savvy but this heap of junk got the best of me so I took it back, got a Garmin and wow, how's much easier to set up was that and it works excellently.

Thank you though.
  • Smudgerbug
    New Seeker
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Smudgerbug
    Further to Jim07 post...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) -->
    Are any of the Sound Icons slashed through ???
    It's really easy to accidently turn off the sound Icons if you swipe the menu screens near the bottom part of the screen ;)
    Note... The Day/Night screen brightness Icon...
    Should be slashed through....
    dy49cl5hc6cc.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Yeah, everything was set up right, the volume was high, notifications and all was set and not crossed out. Bottom line is that it's a load of rubbish and TomTom support is almost non existent. It's gone back to the shop now and I got a Garmin which works perfectly

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,705
    Hi @Smudgerbug
    Welcome to the community!
    Have you tried a factory reset to get this working?
    Main menu- Settings- System- Reset

If already tried, then I would advise removing and reinstalling the same voice using MyDrive Connect could help fix the issue. For Wi-Fi devices : (Connect device to MyDrive Connect > Go to My Content > My Voices > select Uninstall next to the voice that is not working (eg: Serena ) > Now on device itself > Main menu > Updates and New Items/Settings > Device shows a spinning wheel and voice will be removed.

Now to install the same voice again, go back to MyDrive Connect > voice > Add voice to your device>>> Here they have to go back on device> click on Updates and New Items....> the update will start

Once installed, do a soft reset and test the voice.

Regards,
    Vikram