TomTom go 5000 unable to update map

Jimmy222
Jimmy222 Registered Users Posts: 5
Novice Seeker
Hi,

I have been trying to update my map on my Tomtom go 5000. Currently it has "Europe + United kingdom + Ireland buildings" map with the latest update the device doesn't have enough memory to download it. I have added 32GB SD card into the device and formatted for map use.

I have also tried checking and unchecking the "Download updates on my computer (recommended)" option, "Empty download folder" and "Clear Cache" options but it seems to hang at "Updating Device" screen and the Taskbar Icon "Finished working with your device".

Tried changing it to a smaller map available which is 3.3GB "Europe - Southern western Zone" but it hang at "Updating Device" screen and the Taskbar Icon "Finished working with your device".

have also tried formatting the SD card on a pc with fat32 and unticking the "quick format" and the result is still the same.

the above were tested with the AV and firewall disabled.

Emailed support, they have ask me to reinstall the software but it didn't make any difference.

Can anyone advise what other steps to try?

Thanks

eel86mqutuo8.png
5d510csz6f7d.png
vx6lnm9mu2zl.png
dhqjcr7jbpp1.png
dnz321ewpd00.png

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,758
    Answer ✓
    @Jimmy222
    Hi Jimmy
    A different version of the map has been activated for your TomTom. This map should be offered for download in smaller map countries/regions. Could you check for updates now?

Thanks,
    Vikram.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,833
    Superuser
    Hi @Jimmy222

When you have the device connected to your PC and have the My Drive Connect software open do you see the memory used/available both Internally and on the extra Memory Card. Ie can it see the card there.

Doug
  • Jimmy222
    Novice Seeker
    Hi,

I have been trying to update my map on my Tomtom go 5000. Currently it has "Europe + United kingdom + Ireland buildings" map with the latest update the device doesn't have enough memory to download it. I have added 32GB SD card into the device and formatted for map use.

I have also tried checking and unchecking the "Download updates on my computer (recommended)" option, "Empty download folder" and "Clear Cache" options but it seems to hang at "Updating Device" screen and the Taskbar Icon "Finished working with your device".

Tried changing it to a smaller map available which is 3.3GB "Europe - Southern western Zone" but it hang at "Updating Device" screen and the Taskbar Icon "Finished working with your device".

have also tried formatting the SD card on a pc with fat32 and unticking the "quick format" and the result is still the same.

the above were tested with the AV and firewall disabled.

Emailed support, they have ask me to reinstall the software but it didn't make any difference.

Can anyone advise what other steps to try?

Thanks

eel86mqutuo8.png
    5d510csz6f7d.png
    vx6lnm9mu2zl.png
    dhqjcr7jbpp1.png
    dnz321ewpd00.png
  • Jimmy222
    Novice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

Yes, I can see the internal memory and the extra SD card memory.

Thanks
    Jimmy
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited March 12
    Hi @Jimmy222

If you have not done this already I would check that all my Places and My Routes etc are saved in your account by going to the My Drive Website and logging into your account. If they are then try doing a Factory Reset ie Menu/Settings/System/Reset Device then after you have set the unit up again try updating the map.

How much free space have you got on your Internal memory. It might be an idea to see if @VikramK can add a very small Map to your account on Monday then if you can load that onto the unit you can delete the existing Europe map and then try to load the new one.

Doug
  • Jimmy222
    Novice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

Here is a screen shot of the disk space and it is showing 30GB free space.

71xo2y49ozko.jpg

Yes, I have already done a factory reset via the menu on the device. Also, have removed some of the voices from the device.

Thanks,

Jimmy
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,758
    Answer ✓
    @Jimmy222
    Hi Jimmy
    A different version of the map has been activated for your TomTom. This map should be offered for download in smaller map countries/regions. Could you check for updates now?

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • Jimmy222
    Novice Seeker
    Hi Vikram and Doug

Is now working, thank you for your help.

Cheers,
    Jimmy
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Jimmy222

Glad you are sorted.

Doug