mapshare submissions rejected

zymurgic
zymurgic Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited March 6 in Map quality
Trying to help to maintain the quality of the points of interest, I noticed two listings for businesses that have closed down.

One is for a hotel that closed down in 2014, and the site demolished after a fire.
The other is for a car factory that closed down in 2021 (incorrectly listed as a car dealership).

Both these reports were rejected. In mapshare if you report a place permanently closed, you have nowhere to add additional supporting information.

Co-incidentally, some hotel booking sites (expedia) still list that hotel, but it never has any rooms. Odd that.

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    HI Zymurgic,

Well, it would be best if you can provide the name of the hotels as well as the address of them as well some supporting sources that is closed down or got replaced by a new business.

Also note that TomTom relies on such sites as Expedia for hotel listings, kindly report this to Expedia and the other sites. As if TomTom sees a reliable site like that still have listing, then they will reject it.

Also note if you do a report, there is tiny icons to attach documents or pictures or other things :)

I would love to report this to the map share if you want, kindly reply back with all info :)

Thanks,

Shawn
  • zymurgic
    Apprentice Traveler
    Madison Hotel, Swindon, England

I've managed to re-submit the closed permanently for the hotel, and went to the effort of creating a word document attachment.
    Surely it would be easier to just allow the reason text to be defined for permanently closed places?
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 412
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 5
    @zymurgic

I just did a quick Google Search to reveal the Hotel closed in 2014 and was widely reported in the local newspapers etc; Google even has it marked on its maps as Permanently closed, so it is puzzling why Tomtom refuses to acknowledge this, when all you are doing is to try and improve their mapping........ :/
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @zymurgic

FYI, I was recently browsing using Google Street maps looking for evidence of the entrance to a disused Underground Station in the Whitechapel Road London E1 (marked as an historical landmark as St. Marys at No 100) and saw on Google Maps that a Citroen Dealer was apparently located there and open for business………. ?? :/

Yet I knew from personal experience the Dealership had closed down about 8 or more years ago and the building demolished with a new hotel being built there. I guess the last thing on the Citroen Dealers mind when closing down their business was to remove themselves from Google Maps??

Mid 2014
    531lt2mx5xze.png

Mid 2021
    orsbtsntoxdj.png

I reported this map error to Google and was astonished to have the report accepted and fixed literally within minutes.

I have just reported this to TomTom via Mapshare reporter ( as they still have the Citroen dealership on the map - but in a wrong location though !) and will monitor how long it takes to have this fixed .................... B)

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 5
    zymurgic wrote: »

I've managed to re-submit the closed permanently for the hotel, and went to the effort of creating a word document attachment.
    Surely it would be easier to just allow the reason text to be defined for permanently closed places?

Hi Everyone, :)

After researching through Bing about this issue, I have found that the original official website it seems is still up also a lot of other hotel sites are still showing this location.

I believe TomTom cartographers are using Duckduckgo to find these info, also they have old parmonix also they can't just copy data from Google. as that is copyrighted data. As well if the source of the data in the maps is 3rd party, they are not able to edit it as it is not their data to change.

Also, sometimes these maps are linked to Expedia or other site API :)

Anyways I will report this issue and get back if they respond and take it down.

@lostsoul HI there :)

Can you please provide me the name of the dealership and the actual location please, thank you :)

https://madisonhotelswindon.com/

https://www.expedia.com/Swindon-Hotels-Madison-Hotel.h527472.Hotel-Information

https://www.hotelsoption.com/en/madison-hotel-h126587.html

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 5
    [/quote]

I reported this map error to Google and was astonished to have the report accepted and fixed literally within minutes.

[/quote]

Kindly note that Google Maps isn't like TomTom which has a API for other companies like Microsoft or Apple to use for their map data also TomTom has physical GPS units to update as well and.
    zymurgic wrote: »

You would use the "Other" option and put some text :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    [/quote]

I have just reported this to TomTom via Mapshare reporter ( as they still have the Citroen dealership on the map - but in a wrong location though !) and will monitor how long it takes to have this fixed .................... B)

[/quote]

Usually, it will take a week for them to take it down from the maps, those are for Bing Maps, TomTom Go Apps and MyDrive. Though other devices may have different time frames :)

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 6
    Hi Everyone :)

I have successfully been able to get the reports accepted, kindly note it may time to be updated probably on Monday on MyDrive/Amigo/TomTomGo, though other apps or units may take more time :)

Have a wonderful day!

Shawn

• Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Shawnloveshorses_161

Good news you have your Mapshare reports accepted. :)

I have not had any success with my submission re the Citroen Dealership that closed down :s , so can you show me how and what you included on your Mapshare report in order that I can learn for my future submission please?

I.E. a simple screen shot of the Mapshare report and any text or attachments you included.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    HI @Lost_Soul,

First of all, I have seen that the two businesses have been fixed in the map update which should roll out soon today as the version number has been released and the version shown on Map share is still the previous week. I believe the TomTom Apps should be updated weekly to get this update today but not sure about other devices. :)

Well, I usually report the issue to the websites I notice online that still show the business, also I report it through https://feedback.azuremaps.com as well in Map share, I used the delete and "Other" to write text.

Azure Maps is a great tool to report map feedback to TomTom as well plus it has a satellite overall. Though it doesn't have a good tracking tool.

It may be that since we all reported a few times that they have enough reason to verify it again or the source that they were using was updated to show closed now.

Due to security or privacy reasons, a lot of companies' employees are on limited internet so a lot of sites are blocked so they aren't usually able to access everything we can.

Also, every submission is anonymously reported so they have to do diligence to verify each report as someone may have mis clicked or intentionally say closed when not.

Here is a screenshot of what I wrote :) Remember to always use other sources like Bing maps use Tomtom maps and they usually put a subtext of the source data. So that is how I found out that the official website and other sites still show the hotel existence. So I had to dig deeper to find news artle to share with them.

Have a wonderful spring!

Shawn

https://ibb.co/DkF36Wr image to report

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Also, I love to use the Windows Maps, Bing Maps, Azure Maps tool linked above, Openstreetmaps to try to find out why TomTom has the outdated maps it may be due a source issue or such so I can better understand the issue and inform them about the change :)

hope that explains it
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    @Shawnloveshorses_161

Thank you for your detailed and quick reply - Very interesting that you have a completely different version of Mapshare to what I am using:

qevhcvtitjak.png

I have searched but cannot locate where this is to be downloaded.................... any ideas why I cannot use the Mapshare Dashboard as it looks to be an easier and clearer tool to use. (I am using a Windows PC with Google Chrome as my Browser if that helps)

I noticed that the Microsoft Azure app tools seems to include Tomtom mapping as per the note at the bottom of the screen which could be another source of information and as you say another way to report issues to Tomtom.

I just checked at 15:18 today and my version of Mapshare Reporter is showing:

Country Map Release
    GBR 2022.03.003 2022.03.003.01

I wonder when the Fixed version 2022.03.004 will be released for my version of Mapshare.........??

I also; as well as describing the reason for the POI deletion on Mapshare reporter, re the Citroen Dealer attached 2 screenshots from Google Street View, one from 2021 and one from 2014.

But as you can see although I submitted my report on Saturday, 2 days later my report has not even been accepted yet within 6 hours of you reporting the same not only was your report accepted, the map database has been updated and the issue closed........................ Very puzzling? :/

I have become somewhat disillusioned with Mapshare Reporter as the majority of my reports seem to be either shown as Pending or for those that are supposedly fixed they never
    seem to make it onto the maps of my devices.

I just checked and my first ever Mapshare report back in 2016 and several times later I believe, is still showing our local Primary school in the wrong location !!! B)

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    Hi @lostsoul

1: Well, it seems that users who have reported over a certain amount of reports that were accepted become a top contributor and get the special dashboard, anyways its not that important.

2: Windows Maps can be downloaded through the Microsoft Store or if it si preinstalled, look up Maps in search.

3: Microsoft and TomTom have a partnership so the Azure tool is sending reports to TomTom to fix as well, did you notice the option not show aerial view?

4: As the version has been shown on the dashboard, meaning it will be released today, timing on that is unsure it depends if you are using the app or other TomTom device.

5: TomTom has their own dedicated sources they are allowed to use, Google Maps is also copyrighted so data can't just be copied, as well it doesn't really help in this case.

Sources links or website links that show it is closed will help more to get the POI fixed in my opinion, they have to have the right sources to proof they have it closed as they can't just close or remove stuff if they dont' have enough data.

As much as I agree with you there is a lot of misleading info on maps, there is always a reason for it being there, always check Bing Maps if have same issue, also usually Bing shows a subtext with source data.

TomTom, Bing, Apple I believe license business data from other sources which has to be updated first before they can fix on htier maps as its not their own data. If it as data that TomTom put on map then they have a faster way to fix I think.

I always find there is some misleading source online, such as hospitals or airports duplicated.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Shawnloveshorses_161

I just checked and my first ever Mapshare report back in 2016 and several times later I believe, is still showing our local Primary school in the wrong location !!! B)

Kindly provide coordinates of school and correct location coordinates and screenshots from MyDrive - https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_ca/#mode=viewport+viewport=54.4641,-3.23499,4.67,0,-0+ver=3 and Bing Maps + Google Mpas.

Likely the mapversion will be updated in the next few days, plus it takes time for it to be updated across the API's from TomTom to the apps to the Bing to the Azure maps, all takes time. It all needs to work correctly in all situations online and offline. Which google doesn't incorporate is offline maps.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Shawnloveshorses_161

1: Well, it seems that users who have reported over a certain amount of reports that were accepted become a top contributor and get the special dashboard, anyways its not that important.

Sorry to disagree with you it is important, as it appears my reports are not being accepted by Tomtom.
    I reported the same or more detail you submitted for the Citroen Dealership, your report was accepted and mine so far has been ignored.

@VikramK @lampard @Jurgen Could the team look into this please - is it because the same issue is also being Reported via the Microsoft Azure tool?

Kindly provide coordinates of school and correct location coordinates and screenshots from MyDrive

I have once again updated the location for the local school via Mapshare reporter.
    I will not show the details here. :)
    As if you report, it will no doubt be accepted, mine will stay as Pending and I will never get to use the special/easy Mapshare Dashboard. B)

Catch 22 :s
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    Hi @Lost_Soul

I would love to help you get this solved, though I am not a TomTom employee so I will just wait for the moderators to look into this and get back to you :)

Posting multiple reports to the map share will not help improve reliability of being accepted as it will show as "already fixed", I am really shocked of why your reports are not being accepted.

If you need any more errors fixed, let me know :)

Thanks,

have a wonderful spring!
    shawn
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    hi @Shawnloveshorses_161

I have become accustomed to being ignored by Tomtom. I have submitted numerous requests / details of faults / errors on my Sat Nav devices to the Customer Care Team, if you do not reply or update a thread within 3 days they mark the request as Fixed.............. then at a later date the questions are just deleted!

I am still waiting for some of the errors to be resolved some 5 1/2 years later!!! :s

I have been getting email notifications saying you have posted in the thread, yet this thread never pops up in 'Recent Discussions', and for example the email I got included the text :

"@Lost_Soul HI Lost Soul, I would like to acknowledge that everyone including me still uses the same map reporter as you do, the dashboard only tells you more i…

Yet when I look on the thread that is not included here as having been posted by you - Another puzzle? B)
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    have a wonderful day!

Shawn
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    @Shawnloveshorses_161

Well there finally has been an 'update' on my submission to delete the closed and demolished Citroen Dealership at 100 Whitchapel Road E1................................... REJECTED :s

m36f5zherbev.png

So why can Tomtom accept your map update, but reject my submission???? B)

@VikramK @lampard @Jurgen Any comments please?

But the Mapshare team "Accepted" my submission to show the correct location for the local school.

Will await with bated breath to see if and when this filters down to a change on the maps and my devices.................. Not Holding my breath. ;)
  • zymurgic
    Apprentice Traveler
    I've just gone and looked, and there no longer seems to be a Citroen dealership in that location in mapshare.
    Perhaps two people reported it, and your duplicate report couldn't be processed because it had already been actioned, so it had to be rejected? Odd.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Good afternoon,

I would really like to let you know that I have to sometimes just keep trying on reporting this issue until they accept it as I have had similar issues as well, it's very strange.

That is very strange and I hope to hear back from the moderator about this,

@zymurgic Well your original post about the car dealership is no more on the map, we will have to wait for the next map update to remove the hotel which was already removed from Bing very quickly.

Thank you and have a wonderful spring!

Shawn - Not a TomTom Employee

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    @Lost_Soul Can you scroll down through the report using the scrollbar to see if there is a reason? It should give a reason for it, eg: source conflict or something else. Can you let me know what it is?

Thank you

It seems there is a lot of source conflicts on the internet as there are so many sites still showing it as open, as the business have never registered their business their or claimed it :(

https://www.yelp.com/biz/citroen-dealership-london

http://www.get2drive.com/car-dealerships/essex/canvey-island/citroen-city-2117

Well, it seems this one has gotten the right thing, https://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/car-dealers/29719-citroen-city closed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    HI Everyone

CC: @lampard & @VikramK, kindly advise on the situation

There seems to be a updated system for reporting map errors for car dealerships as according to this screenshot I am sending shows that you are unable to submit reports except you are the owner, I am not sure how owners will report it though, maybe if their source data is updated, then tomtom will be updated. hmm

Will use the Azure and the "other" option in map share from now on to report such issues though I am not sure if they will approve it.

I think this is why it was rejected @Lost_Soul :(

Shawn

Link to screenshot https://ibb.co/VMNspVs plus it seems that the Hotel Madison was removed from the map as well, very strange indeed.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Shawnloveshorses_161

The reason given at the bottom is :

Classification
    Specification Conflict

@zymurgic

I can still see a Citroen Dealership in Mapshare B) :

0bme9fzdmt5j.png

(to confuse matters although it is showing as being at 100 Whitechapel Road - the icon is located on the map at ~337 Whitechapel Rd, London E1 1BU this is where the Blind Beggars Public House is located - made famous by one of the Kray Twins, Ronnie Kray who murdered George Cornell there.)

I actually think this may be another duplicate POI made by TomTom as they have described the dealership name as "Citreon Select" (car make spelt incorrectly and City is showing as Saint Albans in Hertfordshire - some 40 odd miles away! :D ) whereas the original POI had no name ascribed.... just called Citroen UK.

- FYI the actual name of the Dealership was Citroen City :D

ps I have just spotted in excess of 80 possible errors in this general area, do I feel strong enough to tackle this as the likely outcome is that after a lot of time and research I will get 80+ rejections. :(

It begs the question as to whether TomTom validates POI's when they are initially created?

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 7
    ens1xiu5n4vn.png

Well I believe that TomTom is doing their very best to get all your reports fixed, these are manually reviewed not like Google which also uses web crawling to get details though they do have better reporting tools.

Anyways, I hope these issues get solved, the car icon doesn't show for me near the pub, the pub does show on the map though :)

Thanks,

Shawn