Several questions TomTom Go basic

Lizzie74
Lizzie74 Registered Users Posts: 6
Novice Seeker
edited March 3 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi, Just bought new Go Basic and have several questions.
I switch it off when I leave the car but when I go back, it's back on. How can I make sure it's off?
When I plan a route the map is the correct way up, but otherwise it is upside down with the arrow moving towards me.
I live in France but have set it to UK so it's in English but how do I change to 24 hour clock?
Thanks for your help!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Lizzie74
    Novice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Hi, I have since found language and 24 hour clock settings.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,833
     Superuser
    edited March 5 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Lizzie74
    Lizzie74 wrote: »
    The only outstanding problem for me is the map orientation when not planning a route. For example when I drive to the nearest town, geographically, I have mountains on my right and a lake on my left. But my unit is showing the opposite. Mountains left and lake right - very confusing! When I come from town home, it's fine. The mountains are on my left and lake right. The map does not orientate itself to the direction the car is travelling, which is what I've always been used to. Obviously, I don't need it in familiar surroundings but it would be very confusing on a road trip.
    Are you sure you have the Mount set correctly....
    If you mount the device on the Dashboard or on the Screen....
    The Tomtom Logo should always be at the bottom....
    q1afsb6k6biu.jpg
    Screen Views....
    The default 'Startup screen' is the North-up Overview planning Map....
    To change the default 'Driving view'....
    Tap 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Guidance view.... Select default view 2D or 3D....
    If Automatic map switching is selected (Default setting)
    As you drive off the map should automatically switch to your chosen driving view
    Or when you Tap the 'Let's Go' Icon
    Or when you Tap the arrowhead Icon above the plus and minus sign to cycle through the driving views
    c4d30e9e-7252-4324-85a0-5deb20f461d5.png
    (Snip) To charge the unit in the car does it have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter, then switched back to the USB port when charged?
    Charging the device in the Car... Use the Micro USB port on the Mount
    gf31xls8p3p3.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Lizzie74
    Novice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Hi, I have since found language and 24 hour clock settings.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    edited March 3
    Hi @Lizzie74

If the Map is the right way when off the mount but the wrong way on it then twist the Mount around. It will feel very stiff but will rotate at the ball joint on the back.

When you say the unit is on when you return to the car do ou mean when you turn the key in the car it comes on? If when you leave he car and you Tap go to Sleep it doses not turn the unit Off completely so that it will start up very quickly as soon as you turn on the ignition and the power socket becomes live. If you are pressing Turn Off on the device then if you are finding it on when you return then your Ignition must have come on to for it to restart.

Doug
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,455
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

GPS turns on when ignition is on

Settings in the main menu, then System battery settings Select this setting to control power saving options.

When I plan a route the map is the correct way up, but otherwise it is upside down with the arrow moving towards me.

Settings then Appearance. Guidance mode select 3D
  • Lizzie74
    Novice Seeker
    Thanks for your replies.
    I actually turned it off as opposed to putting it to sleep. I will check if it is on when I approach the car but haven't entered it, or if it's when I actually put the key in the ignition.
    I will look at power saving options.
    Thanks!
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited March 3
    Hi
    @Lizzie74
    Welcome to the site....
    Are you using the Windscreen or the Dashboard to Mount the GO Basic ???
    Dash....
    hi7f0l0fj8gu.jpg
    Screen...
    1vp07m9wxu2t.jpg
    See Tomtom Video... How to rotate an integrated mount....

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • Lizzie74
    Novice Seeker
    Thanks again for all your help.
    I realise now that the unit starts up as soon as I use the electronic key to unlock the car door and it's not as I previously thought starting up of it's own accord!
    I changed to 3D view.
    I just bought the adhesive discs so have mounted the unit on the dashboard.
    I've had a look at the user manual, so thanks for sending the link.
    To charge the unit in the car does it have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter, then switched back to the USB port when charged?
    The only outstanding problem for me is the map orientation when not planning a route. For example when I drive to the nearest town, geographically, I have mountains on my right and a lake on my left. But my unit is showing the opposite. Mountains left and lake right - very confusing! When I come from town home, it's fine. The mountains are on my left and lake right. The map does not orientate itself to the direction the car is travelling, which is what I've always been used to. Obviously, I don't need it in familiar surroundings but it would be very confusing on a road trip.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    The GPS must remain plugged into the cigarette lighter.
    Your car's USB outlet does not provide enough amps to keep your GPS charged.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited March 5 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Lizzie74
    Are you sure you have the Mount set correctly....
    If you mount the device on the Dashboard or on the Screen....
    The Tomtom Logo should always be at the bottom....
    q1afsb6k6biu.jpg
    Screen Views....
    The default 'Startup screen' is the North-up Overview planning Map....
    To change the default 'Driving view'....
    Tap 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Guidance view.... Select default view 2D or 3D....
    If Automatic map switching is selected (Default setting)
    As you drive off the map should automatically switch to your chosen driving view
    Or when you Tap the 'Let's Go' Icon
    Or when you Tap the arrowhead Icon above the plus and minus sign to cycle through the driving views
    c4d30e9e-7252-4324-85a0-5deb20f461d5.png
    (Snip) To charge the unit in the car does it have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter, then switched back to the USB port when charged?
    Charging the device in the Car... Use the Micro USB port on the Mount
    gf31xls8p3p3.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lizzie74
    Novice Seeker
    Hi, Yes it is the correct way up. The map on the screen is static and doesn't move no matter in what direction I drive. Only the blue arrow moves. This can be in any direction on the static map.
    I have an integral SatNav in the car but the tactile screen doesn't work anymore so I can't programme routes, but the map is working and it changes direction so that the blue arrow is always heading in the direction the car is travelling.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    As @YamFazMan said, have you tried reversing the bracket position?

pwuibjtwc736.jpg

• Lizzie74
    Novice Seeker
    Hi, I now realise what is happening. I am on map view in Tomtom where the map is always static and the blue arrow moves relative to north. On my car satnav I can choose between "North heading and Vehicle heading". I've always had it on vehicle heading. So that's why the two screens appeared so different. I also realise I can switch to guidance view. So thanks again for your help! I'm getting there, slowly!
    Lizzie