GO5000 will not update from UK Map v10.35 to latest version 1085

Terrydxb
Terrydxb Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
MyDrive Connects seems to work fine and I can see that UK and Republic of Ireland v10.35 is installed on my GO5000 (SN QRxxxxxxx01with lifetime maps). However, the road system where I live (north of Cambridge UK - M11/A14 ) has changed dramatically in the last 12 months, to the point where the GO5000 is postively dangerous as it tries to send me down roads that just don't exist. When I log into MyDrive, TomTom are telling me that v1085 is the latest map, but this version doesn't appear as an available upgrade - does this mean that my GO5000 is obsoleted as far as free Lifetime Maps upgrades are concerned?

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,710
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Terrydxb
    Welcome to the community! Do you have a memory card inserted?
    If yes, could you remove it and check for updates, please?

Thanks,
    Vikram.

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,710
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Terrydxb
    Welcome to the community! Do you have a memory card inserted?
    If yes, could you remove it and check for updates, please?

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • Terrydxb
    Apprentice Seeker
    HI Vikram - Your comments did stimulate some thinking. I didn't have an SD card installed, so I bought one 32GB (struggled to format it in FAT32 though - but that another story, not related to TomTom). My GO5000 currently has UK and Republic of Ireland installed, which is about 30 months old - there is no obvious update - and that would explain why the unit does not 'know' the new road system around where I live. At 8.3GB, the latest update to Europe is too big to fit into the 4GB memory of my GO5000, but it fits onto the new 32GB SD card with ease - so I've downloaded this and am running it from the SD card. This does appear to recognise all the new roads and I'm hoping this will solve my problems.
    The issue I have with TomTom is that their software isn't the easiest to use and I'll be angry if my Go5000 is obsoleted anytime soon, just to maintain a revenue stream for TomTom- if that happens, then I'll be using my mobile phone with Waze/Maps. I expect at least another 2 years from my GO5000, then maybe I'll upgrade to the latest model.
    Once again, thankyou for you help
    Regards
    Terry

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited March 7
    Hi
    @Terrydxb
    The only devices declared Eol (End of Life) were device's with 2GB or less of on-board memory....
    The devices sold with Lifetime updates are still supported....
    The 8GB NAV4 devices like your GO 5000 can use a Class 10 Micro DSHC memory card 16GB or 32GB (Max)
    Or
    If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card....
    Tomtom has released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

Also See Catch22....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Terrydxb
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi YaMFazMan - thankyou so very much for all the info, you (along with Vikram have solved my problem). Its great to know that my GO5000 is still a going concern - I use it all over the world and its a trusted companion.
    As before though, TomTom are completely useless when it comes to explaining how these things work - even with your guidance, its not obvious how to access the different Map Cuts, but I did manage it and my problems are solved.
    Once again - thankyouvery much
    Regards
    Terry
  • Terrydxb
    Apprentice Seeker
    I've just had the chance to test the Map Upgrades on a short trip and have to report that sadly, nothing has changed. Around the A14 Bar Hill interchange with the B1050, my GO5000 just doesn't know where it is - it repeatedly changes my locations, at anywhere up to 150m off the actual road and when it does 'find a road', makes several requests for me to turn into farm tracks that are blocked with gates. This is very distracting and remarkably unsafe. On the return trip, we set up 2 mobile phones with our trip home selected on Google Maps and Waze to compare with my G05000. Both apps got the route exactly right whilst my GO5000 failed again.. What this tells me is that the maps supplied by TomTom are not up to date so.... there's no point in updating to a newer TomTom. I think its now time to move on from a dedicated SatNav to a mobile phone app

Thanks TomTom - its been mostly great, but I've lost confidence in you and I'm going (reluctantly) to my phone and apps.

My TomTom GO5000 is now to be consigned into the big drawer for 'no longer wanted' electronic stuff, that might be useful someday, just in case...