How do I update my GO 5100 with no internal memory space remaining?

A4T4
A4T4 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
I have no internal memory space (all 8 gig is used), the system software needs updating first and I'm prevented from freeing up space by deleting my Europe map. I have a 32 gig SD card formatted but empty - can I move the Europe map from the internal memory to the SD card? Thanks

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,430
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

You can move your map installed on the internal memory to the 32GB SD card or install a small map on the internal memory.
  • A4T4
    Apprentice Seeker
    How do I do this? - I've looked at all the options. I've installed a small map on the SD card to check communication is ok but how do I get the larger map off the internal memory - Mydrive won't remove it
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,430
    Revered Voyager
    edited March 1
    Replace the current map on the internal memory with a smaller map (France example) once the map is installed on the device, select the Europe map which should be automatically installed on the SD due to lack of space.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,857
    Superuser
    Hi @A4T4

Just checking when you say formatted do you mean that you have inserted the SD card in your GO5100 and the device has asked you whether you want it formatted for maps and it has then done so.

Regarding the moving of a map if you were to have a map on you unit in the internal memory and you are offered an update that is too big to fit on the internal memory the My Drive Connect software should automatically load the new version on an extra memory card that has been formatted on the device for maps. During the process it will also delete the old version.

If you have formatted the card on the device then I would be tempted to do a FULL, not a quick, format of the card to Fat32 on your PC and try again.

Doug
  • A4T4
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug and Willy, thank you for replying to my post, I’ve now managed to update my GO 5100. I formatted the sd card on a laptop, FAT32 the slow way, then had to format it in the device because it wasn’t detected by Mydrive (maybe I was supposed to do this anyway?). The device still would not update using My Updates (“device not responding “) so I went to the maps available listed underneath the updates in My Content. Most stated they could be added to the sd card - by clicking the drop down arrow next to this showed “add to device”. Clicking this option brought up a screen “not enough storage space” and a choice of removing unused content or use a memory card. Selecting the former allowed me to uninstall Europe map from the device and install a smaller map (New Zealand, previously added to sd card) in its place by moving items to the left or right. Confirming the changes updated the device. Interestingly, as the upgrade took place the GO5100 displayed that it was updating, however MyDrive displayed “waiting for your device”. It worked though and I messed around with some other maps and stuff until I knew what I was doing (until next time).