Compass feature on the RIDER 400

LesSnelgrove
LesSnelgrove Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Seeker
edited March 1 in RIDER
Does TomTom produce a motorcycle specific satnav that has a proper compass as part of the display? My Rider 400 has a silly little arrow head, which appears to point towards my destination.

Best Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,444
    Revered Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi

No, Tomtom does not offer optional GPS with compass.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    edited February 28 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @LesSnelgrove
    Welcome to the site....
    Does TomTom produce a motorcycle specific satnav that has a proper compass as part of the display? My Rider 400 has a silly little arrow head, which appears to point towards my destination.
    It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator
    It works on exactly the same principal as the one that Captain Jack Sparrow uses to navigate the Black Pearl ;)

When you are driving the small Arrow head chevron, above the plus and minus signs points to your Direction of travel

myun33odwjpq.png
    If you imagine you are looking at a Paper Map of the World, and you're located in the UK
    The North-Pole.... Is at the top, the Tomtom arrowhead on the screen points Up
    You're heading North
    The South-Pole.... Is at the bottom & the arrow points Down
    You're heading South
    Canada.... Is on the Left (West) & the arrow points Left
    You're heading West
    China.... Is on the Right (East) & the arrow points Right
    You're heading East
    And obviously, all points of the compass in between, as in the example
    Greenland.... Is halfway between Up and Left & the arrow points 45 degrees between Up/Left
    The arrow is pointing 45 degrees Up/Left
    You're heading North West

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,444
    Revered Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi

No, Tomtom does not offer optional GPS with compass.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited February 28 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @LesSnelgrove
    Welcome to the site....
    It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator
    It works on exactly the same principal as the one that Captain Jack Sparrow uses to navigate the Black Pearl ;)

When you are driving the small Arrow head chevron, above the plus and minus signs points to your Direction of travel

myun33odwjpq.png
    If you imagine you are looking at a Paper Map of the World, and you're located in the UK
    The North-Pole.... Is at the top, the Tomtom arrowhead on the screen points Up
    You're heading North
    The South-Pole.... Is at the bottom & the arrow points Down
    You're heading South
    Canada.... Is on the Left (West) & the arrow points Left
    You're heading West
    China.... Is on the Right (East) & the arrow points Right
    You're heading East
    And obviously, all points of the compass in between, as in the example
    Greenland.... Is halfway between Up and Left & the arrow points 45 degrees between Up/Left
    The arrow is pointing 45 degrees Up/Left
    You're heading North West

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • LesSnelgrove
    LesSnelgrove Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for your prompt responses. Having been brought up using a paper map and proper compass the system you describe in counter intuitive. Also, the arrow is so small that without reading glasses I find it difficult to distinguish which of the three sides is concave. I've owned two TomTom Riders and I much preferred my original Rider 2. But unfortunately it became obsolete, despite being easier to use than my current Rider 400, apart from it having a smaller screen. Over the past 15 years I have never found TomTom to be very receptive to user feedback, so I doubt anything will change for the better. What do us users know? . . .
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited March 1
    Hi
    @LesSnelgrove
    I have Varifocal lenses in my glasses, I can see the Direction of travel indicator Ok...,
    Maybe glasses with bi-focal lenses with a clear top lens and a prescription bottom lens (Reading) would help ???

Stay safe... ATB YFM