GO Supreme Battery Will Not Charge

IWNBD-FTT
IWNBD-FTT Registered Users Posts: 4
New Seeker
I have had this unit for about a year, I only use it when I go on trips and will be traveling the back roads, especially those with poor cell data coverage. It has spent the last 4-5 months off and in a draw. I needed it today, so I dropped it in the car cradle and it powered up without issue. About 15 minutes later, all it would do is flash an empty, red batter symbol on the screen. The cradle is plugged into a car power source. When I got home, I tried to connect it to my PC. All I get is the same empty, red battery symbol flashing on the screen the message the USB Device is not recognized from Windows. MyDrive does not recognize the device is connected to my PC. I have a TomTom that is 10-15 years old and other than the fact I can no longer get updates for the device, it powers up without issue. The GO Supreme, which replaced the older one, is about a year old and appears to be failing. Any ideas on when the issue is? Is this a battery issue? If so, I would think a quality battery would last longer than a year!

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,822
    Superuser
    Hi @IWNBD-FTT

I am afraid leaving the unit uncharged for 5 months is definitely not good for the type of battery in the device as can happen with Mobile phones which use similar batteries. If you have an Apple or similar mobile phone Mains Charger Plug that will accept the USB cable then I would try charging the unit with that for over 2 hours. When you have charged it then with the unit still connected to the Mains Charger Plug try Pressing and Holding In the On/Off button for 20 seconds Plus until you hear the Drumroll sound then let the button go.

Doug.
  • IWNBD-FTT
    New Seeker
    Thanks @DougLap
    After two hours of charging it still just flashes an empty red battery. I held the power button for over a minute, and never received the drum roll reset indication. While most portable devices use the same/similar rechargeable batteries (NiMH), As I stated I have a TomTom that is over 10 years old that has been sitting idle in a drawer for over a year, and I was able to plug that in, power it up and the battery has lost very little power. That is the reason the NiMH batteries are used, the are slow to discharge. The also perform at their best when allowed to drain to about 10% of life - which is where my Go Supreme was when I powered it up. For whatever reason, while plugged into the car charger it continue to drain until completely empty.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,785
    Superuser
    edited February 27
    Hi
    @IWNBD-FTT
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Were/Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd parties Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains' charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,319
    Revered Voyager
    Hi
    @IWNBD-FTT

Maybe the cable is faulty? have you tried charging your device with another cable.
  • IWNBD-FTT
    New Seeker
    edited February 27
    @YamFazMan and @Willy875

Thank you both for your input. While in the car, I only use the cable supplied by TomTom and the supplied TomTom windshield cradle/mount. I have tried the same cable from my computer and from a dedicated USB power supply. I have also tried a third-party USB cable. Unfortunately, the results do not change. I have also confirmed the USB port in my vehicle is a 1.5A port designed for charging, data transfer and support of ApplePlay, however in my case I am using the TomTom cigarette lighter adapter for providing power to the Go Supreme in the car.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and advise. I appreciate any and all suggestions.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,822
    Superuser
    Hi @IWNBD-FTT

Just in case are you charging it whilst in its mount. If so could you try charging it with the cable directly connected to the socket on the back of the TT device and not via the mount. This will indicate if the problem could be the mount.

If you think the unit may still in warrantee then you could try contacting them via Chat to see if you will be covered or not . If it is not then you could look at the many videos on Youtube showing how the batteries can be replaced. The Batteries are available from Ebay , Amazon etc.

Doug
  • IWNBD-FTT
    New Seeker
    @DougLap
    Yes, we tried connecting the cable directly to the back of the unit yesterday while we were out driving. Same results.

What I find most concerning is the unit powered on, allowed us to enter a destination, and calculated a route. This was all performed while in the mount and receiving power. IF it was charging while also powering the unit, then the battery should not have dropped to empty. Also, if the unit is designed to work while receiving power, then it should have continued to operate. We could also see the TomTom cigarette lighter adapter had a green light illuminated indicating it was receiving power.