postcodes are resolved incorrectly in many cases

krskipp
krskipp Registered Users Posts: 52
Renowned Wayfarer
Seems to happen only on the online apps i.e the iphone carplay app and the mydrive connect app - when I type in a postcode for a long road it comes up with the correct road name but takes you to the wrong end of the road. For example I put in E2 6AH which is Bethnal Green Road, but it took me to a location 0.3 miles away from the actual correct postcode location, which I may not have realised if I hadn't been there before, had to switch to Waze app to get where I was going. The physical Tomtom navigation unit works perfectly but this issue has been around for YEARS on the online apps - I and many others reported it on the drive connect app a while back and since I never used that too much I forgot about it, but now I've got the carplay Go app for convenience and the same issue is still there. Same happens with my work place address on Chiswick High Road, the post code resolves to a location quite some distance from the real location. I'm sure there's plenty of other examples but pattern appears to be when the road is very long.

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    edited February 27
    Hi @krskipp

Postcodes are not specific addresses but cover a list of addresses. The postcode you mention covers addresses from circa 257 to 323 Bethnal Green Road. In Rural areas if you go to the position that a postcode indicates you may not be able to see the property concerned as it is as much as 1/2 a mile away. This is a problem that all GPS's suffer from. Where you know the house number it can help to input that as well such as E26AH 313 and you are likely to likely to be taken much nearer the property concerned.

Doug
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 412
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @krskipp

Whilst I agree with @DougLap comments re supplying more detail to a post code when known, in this instance there is clearly a fault with mapping of a generic post code on their various devices.

I would expect as does my Garmin and my wife’s car Sat Nav (Mazda / Here maps) to be directed “roughly” to the centre of an area when only supplying a post code - i.e E2 6AH covers ~257-325 and my Garmin directs me to ~295 Bethnal Green Road. :|

Whereas Tomtom:

Classic Map Devices
    Go Camper directs to ~257/258 “Eastern end” of the post code area
    Go Premium X directs to ~324/325 “Western end” of the post code area

NDS Map devices
    Go Discover - Go Expert - Go App (IOS /Android) Mydrive Web /App- Amigo

All report ~15 Bethnal Green Road / Junction with Chance Street ~0.5 miles away where the post code is E1 6HT. :(

I recall reporting this to Tomtom some years back as I was searching for a shop on the Bethnal Green Road and got mis-directed to the Shoreditch end of the road ~ 0.5 miles away but I cannot locate what response if any I got from Tomtom. B)
  • krskipp
    Renowned Wayfarer
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @krskipp

Postcodes are not specific addresses but cover a list of addresses. The postcode you mention covers addresses from circa 257 to 323 Bethnal Green Road. In Rural areas if you go to the position that a postcode indicates you may not be able to see the property concerned as it is as much as 1/2 a mile away. This is a problem that all GPS's suffer from. Where you know the house number it can help to input that as well such as E26AH 313 and you are likely to likely to be taken much nearer the property concerned.

Doug

Yes, I know how postcodes work. As I said I was taken to a location 0.3 miles from the actual postcode centre. There is not a distance of 0.3 miles between 257 and 323 Bethnal Green road…it’s a short walk of less than a minute no matter where it takes you (if correct). Obviously as the other reply has said it should put you around about the middle of that number set which would be around 290. It took me to number 15, which is E1 6HT. Spot the difference? Not even E2

Here’s a screenshot with the flag at where the app took me and the + sign at the approx location where it should have taken me (and the TomTom PROPER satnav does take me). I was nowhere near 257 to 323 BGR. Similar with my work address, it should take me right to the door almost (as my proper satnav unit does) as the postcode centre is 2 doors down, but it takes me about 0.6 miles away having checked the distance with Google maps.

ndb6wvjngac6.png
  • krskipp
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Further to the reply above, here’s TomTom MyDrive connect which does the same, as you can see it just seems confused by the full postcode and suggests only a vague location covering E1 and E2 and drops you at the top of the road in the E1 postcode0m7cdqdl2ywz.png
  • krskipp
    Renowned Wayfarer
    edited March 1
    Appear to have solved the problem or rather proven the issue is the online search. If you go into TomTom services and disable the option to “enhance” search results with online data it finds the postcode just fine, not the centre but the eastern end as you said, but at least within the range and technically the correct postcode.
    bmsn0ckiw3i3.jpg
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    Hi @krskipp

Whilst I agree with @DougLap comments re supplying more detail to a post code when known, in this instance there is clearly a fault with mapping of a generic post code on their various devices.

I would expect as does my Garmin and my wife’s car Sat Nav (Mazda / Here maps) to be directed “roughly” to the centre of an area when only supplying a post code - i.e E2 6AH covers ~257-325 and my Garmin directs me to ~295 Bethnal Green Road. :|

Whereas Tomtom:

Classic Map Devices
    Go Camper directs to ~257/258 “Eastern end” of the post code area
    Go Premium X directs to ~324/325 “Western end” of the post code area

NDS Map devices
    Go Discover - Go Expert - Go App (IOS /Android) Mydrive Web /App- Amigo

All report ~15 Bethnal Green Road / Junction with Chance Street ~0.5 miles away where the post code is E1 6HT. :(

I recall reporting this to Tomtom some years back as I was searching for a shop on the Bethnal Green Road and got mis-directed to the Shoreditch end of the road ~ 0.5 miles away but I cannot locate what response if any I got from Tomtom. B)

• Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @krskipp

Perverse that turning off the enhanced search feature gives an improved result........... o:)

I assume that also improved the search for your "work" address in the Chiswick High Road?

I worked down there in the mid 90's before Sat Navs were widely available (affordable) when my company was rumoured to relocate there, so did a dry run using the A to Z street atlas and drove the whole length several times looking for a building without knowing the post code or the number made worse by the building name not actually being on the building!!!!

Whilst your research has given you "semi-acceptable' results for the Go App, the other devices / apps which are also based on NDS maps do not have such a feature and Tomtom needs to resolve the anomaly where different devices give different navigational results!

Can this issue be passed onto the relevant teams please? @VikramK @lampard @Jürgen
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    @krskipp Please be a bit more careful with screenshots. I removed your email.
    @Lost_Soul We already have a ticket for this. I will add this example.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Jürgen

Thank you, hopefully this issue will be resolved shortly .............. :)
  • krskipp
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Jürgen wrote: »
    @krskipp Please be a bit more careful with screenshots. I removed your email.
    @Lost_Soul We already have a ticket for this. I will add this example.

Thanks, hadn’t noticed the email address was on the screenshot.

Lost_Soul wrote: »
    Hi @krskipp

Perverse that turning off the enhanced search feature gives an improved result........... o:)

I assume that also improved the search for your "work" address in the Chiswick High Road?

I worked down there in the mid 90's before Sat Navs were widely available (affordable) when my company was rumoured to relocate there, so did a dry run using the A to Z street atlas and drove the whole length several times looking for a building without knowing the post code or the number made worse by the building name not actually being on the building!!!!

Whilst your research has given you "semi-acceptable' results for the Go App, the other devices / apps which are also based on NDS maps do not have such a feature and Tomtom needs to resolve the anomaly where different devices give different navigational results!

Can this issue be passed onto the relevant teams please? @VikramK @lampard @Jürgen

Yes, the postcode for my workplace does the same as Bethnal Green Road, not putting me in the centre of the postcode like it should but at the eastern end of the range. If that was only issue wouldn’t complain, as it’s still technically correct even if not the ideal result, not an issue in cities but may be more of an issue in rural areas where postcodes can cover much larger areas as a previous post mentioned. Just rather odd as you say that enhanced results will seemingly give worse results
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @krskipp

Yes, I have almost stopped using post codes as most of my destinations seem to be in "Rural Areas", and instead I do more research either using Google Street Maps to locate my destination then taking a note of the longitude / latitude or more frequently I utilise a Mapcode ( this was developed by Tomtom employees back in 2001) which can narrow down a location to yards and the codes are accepted by our Tomtom Apps / Devices.

I have often wondered why Tomtom does not publicise this more as it appears to be a ideal solution and better than what3 words which as far as I know does not work on our PND's.
  • Palferman
    Palferman Registered Users Posts: 129
    Supreme Navigator
    @Lost_Soul
    Same as you I’ve given up using postcodes and used Google maps for longitude/latitude (especially if you’re looking for a specific destination like an entrance to a car park or something). The last update for what3words now gives these coordinates as well so that’s quite useful and you can plan a route using the tomtom app
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @Palferman

The Mapcode App that @Lost_Soul refers to enables you to find a place you are looking for on a Google Earth type Sat View map and when you find the exact spot you want gives you an Address, Long/Lat and Mapcode for the position. Mapcodes like What3Words cover a very small area and so you can pick out a parking space in a car park worldwide. GBR DH.FX is the Mapcode for the middle gate at the front of Buckingham Palace and if input in Search on your TT device is recognised.

Doug