App cannot start. Check your internet connection.

Affreeman
Affreeman Registered Users Posts: 7
Apprentice Seeker
Changed phones in October, after installing from backup app refuses to open. Reported to ‘support’ and 5 months with absolutely no resolution. Any ideas?

Have uninstalled/reinstalled, tried on 4G, tried on various WiFi’s. Fully deleted, completely reset phone and reinstalled, still same result.

Help would be greatly received!

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,455
    Revered Voyager
    Install the application from the Apple store with the same credentials that allowed you to purchase the application.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    Hi @Affreeman

What model iPhone have you now got and what phone did you previously have.

Doug
  • Sinny
    Sinny Staff Posts: 148 Staff
    If you restore from backup and then update the app to the latest version from the appstore, it should work (and then you will have to download your maps again)

There was an issue some months ago with restoring from backups, but that's fixed in recent versions of the app.
  • Affreeman
    Apprentice Seeker
    @DougLap - Had XS and now 12, did coincide with iOS15 launch I think (backup on XS done on iOS14 and new phone installed with iOS15) caused no other issues with other apps.

@Willy875 - App has been installed using the same appleid that I have used for 10+ years and same email address used for my TomTom log in.

@Sinny - did a full reset on my phone yesterday. Prior to that I had deleted TomTom, removed its backups from the iCloud so there was as little potential corruption. Restarted my phone from backup. Reinstalled all other apps. Once everything else on and downloaded, I downloaded the v3.0.1 from the App Store. Slight change it hesitated at ‘starting app’ before showing the internet message, but ultimately same end point, can’t open the app. Support have offered a variety of uninstall/reinstall, switch it off/on options, but nothing is working.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    Hi @Affreeman

As you have deleted and reinstalled I am sorry but cannot suggest anything other than maybe going to an Apple Store Genius Bar to see if they can help you clear the problem as I have the 12 mini and the App works fine on that.

Doug
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,455
    Revered Voyager
    Affreeman wrote: »
    @Willy875 - App has been installed using the same appleid that I have used for 10+ years and same email address used for my TomTom log in.

The 1st generation app is no longer supported or offered by Tomtom

Now Tomtom and has 3rd generation Tomtom Go navigation.
  • Affreeman
    Apprentice Seeker
    Willy875 wrote: »
    Affreeman wrote: »

The 1st generation app is no longer supported or offered by Tomtom

Now Tomtom and has 3rd generation Tomtom Go navigation.

I am using TomTom GO navigation, only mentioned that I have had a TomTom app since it was first released with the cradle. Always associated with the same Apple ID.
  • Affreeman
    Apprentice Seeker
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Affreeman

As you have deleted and reinstalled I am sorry but cannot suggest anything other than maybe going to an Apple Store Genius Bar to see if they can help you clear the problem as I have the 12 mini and the App works fine on that.

Doug

I have been to Apple and they say it is an issue with the app there is nothing wrong with the device and it has to be something with the app.

As you can see from the link below not a new problem when restoring the app from backup;

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1024034/app-cant-start-check-your-internet-connection-go-mobile-ios
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    Can you share a screenshot of the error? It is my understanding that you have downloaded and installed yesterday's build 3.0.1 from the App Store. For me that just opens.
  • Affreeman
    Apprentice Seeker
    Jürgen wrote: »
    Can you share a screenshot of the error? It is my understanding that you have downloaded and installed yesterday's build 3.0.1 from the App Store. For me that just opens.

See below;
    t3ltf8n6ruzf.png

Never had a problem previously, but since installing from backup in October it just will not load, no matter what connection I’m on or what uninstall/reinstall process I use.
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the screenshot. I see you also had contact with our Support team and our 2nd Line team related this to our internal ticket GONAV-4588 which was fixed in 2.8.3. There must be something else going on here. If the app wouldn't open after it was restored from a backup one could re-download the app from the App Store. But that didn't resolve it in your case. I will send you a private message with the last comment from the developer who had been in contact with 2nd Line.
  • Affreeman
    Apprentice Seeker
    My gut is there is something in the communication between the app and my AppleID / subscription which creates an error at start up.

If I look at my ‘purchased history’ on App Store it does not show TomTom GO Navigation. I did hide this in the past following advice from support, but don’t know if this is causing a problem?
  • Affreeman
    Apprentice Seeker
    No further ideas anyone?