App not starting on S22

Keiichiro
Keiichiro Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
Hello There,

Maybe this is already known, or it overlaps with another issue.

On the S22 Ultra, the TomTomGo navigation up does not want to load to map selection.
After installation you get the first time pop up screens welcoming you to the app, which works fine.
Once it goes into "Starting app and getting settings from TomTom" it won't continue, and the app shuts down (phone goes back to home screen).

Steps tried:
- Clearing Cache
- Clearing memory after forced stop
- Reinstalling
- Tried beta install
- Previous version apk
- In the android app setting, gave the app all the permissions
- Startup via WiFi
- Startup via 4/5G

In all cases the error keeps persisting so this seems like some critical error is happening when accessing storage, or making connection to the servers? Either way i'm currently unable to use the application.

If you need more information, let me know.

Best Answer

• Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,200
    Community Manager
    edited February 23 Answer ✓
    We are aware of this issue and are already looking into solving this. We'll report here once a solution is available.
    Reinstalling the app will not solve this.

Answers

• Jürgen
    Community Manager
    edited February 21
    Hi @Keiichiro ,

Welcome to our forum! We see users reporting this issue with the S22 Ultra and we're trying to reproduce this. I'm afraid that right now there is nothing I could advise.

Regards,
    Jürgen
  • Peter_F
    Peter_F Registered Users Posts: 20
    Outstanding Explorer
    Same issue here, and judging from the latest reviews in the app store, a lot more low ratings are incoming when the S22 officially launches this Friday.
    Hope a fix will be released before Friday
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    We see the logs the app sends us in case "Help us improve" is enabled in the privacy settings. But the app crashes too early to give us enough information. So we need to reproduce the issue with a developer's build of the app on an S22 Ultra.
  • MrCats
    MrCats Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Yea same issue here on S22 Ultra Exynos version. I wish i could send logs but its instand crash.
  • Peter_F
    Outstanding Explorer
    @Jürgen is that something we can help you with to speed things up?
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the offer but this is something we can only do ourselves.
  • Peter_F
    Outstanding Explorer
    No problem, as a software developer (but clearly not on mobile), I assumed there was a remote debugger option for Android, but I couldn't see one mentioned here https://developer.android.com/studio/debug
  • modtodd
    modtodd Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    I can not open the TomTom Go app on my new Samsung S22+. The application starts and states "Starting App And Retrieving Settings From TomTom..." then just crashes. I asssume this is an issue with OS (Android 12) and not just the phone model.
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 17,720
    Superuser
    edited February 23
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    edited February 23 Answer ✓
    We are aware of this issue and are already looking into solving this. We'll report here once a solution is available.
    Reinstalling the app will not solve this.
  • JeeVeeEhv
    JeeVeeEhv Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    edited February 27
    App not starting on my new phone S22 Ultra, Android 12. Was working OK on my old phone SG Note 10+, Android 12. After disappearing of the startscreen a the following message appears: There is a bug please contact the developer for a update! Very annoying!!
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,348
    Revered Voyager
    edited February 27
  • peterwilki
    peterwilki Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    This Galaxy S22 Ultra incompatibility needs to be fixed urgently. I use the app daily
  • Peter_F
    Outstanding Explorer
    Any feedback from the development team on how long they would need to fix-test-release? Is it something that requires Samsung to fix in their new firmware? Are other Samsung devices at risk of becoming incompatible soon?
  • peterwilki
    Legendary Explorer
    As of today, when people take delivery of their new S22 devices, there are going to be a lot of very unhappy Tomtom users.
    Please, when will this be fixed?
  • Keiichiro
    Keiichiro Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited February 25
    Peter_F wrote: »
    Are other Samsung devices at risk of becoming incompatible soon?

Pretty sure this will not happen. Other samsung devices seem to be working fine. Crossing out options, i'm guessing it's most likely something to do with changes in OneUI 4.1 compared to 4.0. It could ofcourse also be something to do with the different hardware, but you'd expect other gps apps (like google maps) to fail as well then.

peterwilki wrote: »
    As of today, when people take delivery of their new S22 devices, there are going to be a lot of very unhappy Tomtom users.
    Please, when will this be fixed?

As i'm a software engineer myself, I can imagine the difficulties that these kind of bugs can have. And concidering the popularity that the samsung devices have, i'm pretty sure this issue is one of the top priorities of the dev team right now.

Just give the devs some time. They'll figure it out.
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    Keiichiro wrote: »
    And concidering the popularity that the samsung devices have, i'm pretty sure this issue is one of the top priorities of the dev team right now.
    You're phrasing it spot on. We know how popular Samsung phones are, we know more users will get their S22 devices this weekend and we are working on this with top priority.

• Peter_F
    Outstanding Explorer
    Can you disclose already the nature of the issue, or root cause what is making this S22 different from all the other phones you support?
  • hbaars
    hbaars Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Today I got my new S22+. After installing TomTom Go I saw in a split second a remark that TomTom app has a bug and it directly closed the app. I am not able to restart the app
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    I deleted a post due to inappropriate wording
  • HexerHannover
    HexerHannover Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    So the Tomtom AmiGo runs on the S22 Ultra, maybe that helps a bit with troubleshooting.
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    So the Tomtom AmiGo runs on the S22 Ultra, maybe that helps a bit with troubleshooting.
    Our offline app and our online app use different SDKs (software development kits) so we cannot really compare them.

• Peter_F
    Outstanding Explorer
    Despite the urgency, the AmiGo app received 3 updates the last few days and Go none. Thanks for clarifying they are using different SDKs so the expertise from one team doesn't necessarily help the other.
  • Peter_F
    Outstanding Explorer
    u0pyqi4hmb6b.jpg
    Sadly the 1st of March firmware update it received today didn't fix the crash.
  • peterwilki
    Legendary Explorer
    With location switched off on Galaxy S22 Ultra, the app now loads to the "download maps" screen. A list of available country maps displays, but as soon as I tap any map the app crashes again
This discussion has been closed.