TomTom GO Discover -Volume remains unchanged

ErikBoers56
ErikBoers56 Registered Users Posts: 2
Novice Seeker
One month ago I bought a TomTom Go Discover World with voice control. Everything worked perfectly, until I installed an update (as recommended) via Wifi. Since then the volume remains low, no matter what I do. If, for instance, I change the volume level (manually or by voice) from 70% to 100%, the change is confirmed by TomTom, but the volume remains unchanged. Can anyone help me, or is there something wrong with the device or the update?

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,826
    Superuser
    Hi
    @ErikBoers56
    Using voice control to set volume is OK on my 7" GO Discover....
    50%....
    gxzdfmgaybic.jpg
    70%....
    582kslq94okd.jpg
    100%...
    ytp7oi5hpnsd.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• ErikBoers56
    ErikBoers56 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Novice Seeker
    I can do that too, but the maximum volume (100%) sounds much lower than before the update. When there is much traffic, you can hardly hear the instructions.
  • Browilla_1
    Browilla_1 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    edited February 24
    I have exactly the same problem. Volume was fine but then I updated and now the volume is so low I can’t hear it when I’m driving. I don’t use an app with the system. It’s connected to my phone via hotspot but the volume is low whether it’s connected to my phone or not. Very irritating because I can’t hear the speed limit or camera warnings. Let alone where I’m meant to be going! Volume is at 100%!!
  • brian_amsterdam020
    brian_amsterdam020 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I have EXACTLY the same problem! Just bought a TomTom GO Discover....it was plenty loud enough, now after an update, the maximum volume is too soft to hear while driving. Please help!!! Leaving soon on holiday!
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,802
    edited March 3
    Hello all,
    I tested this on my GO Discover with firmware/Navkit v21.400, and I couldn't reproduce this issue.

Could you try a factory reset and test the volume again?

Main menu- Settings- System - Reset device - reset

Thanks, Vikram.

• YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited March 3
    Hi
    My 7" Go Discover also seems 'OK'
    Using an iPhone Decibel Meter App + The 7" GO Discover....
    Sat In my Car with Serena saying "Hi I'm Serena I can read out Signposts Street numbers and street names"
    Volume set to 50%... The App displays 59.3 dB
    Volume set to 70%... The App displays 61.4 dB
    Volume set to 100%. The App displays 71.6 dB

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• Barnowl82
    Barnowl82 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Novice Seeker
    edited March 6
    Hello!
    I'm a long time customer of Tomtom GPSs which I find normally very good. But I've just bought a Go Discover and I have a problem with the sound level of the vocal guidance for directions. Even with the sound setting at 100%, the voice is very low and barely audible over the noise of the engine - and my car engine is very quite. I've also got a Go Premium X which is just fine. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is there a solution? Many thanks for your help.
  • Dave_Canon
    Dave_Canon Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have exactly the same problem as others with my Tom Tom Go Discover. The volume originally started at 50% and only when I set it to 100% was it any good on a motorway with tyre noise. Since then it updated before my last trip and, while set to 100% manually still seems to be at about 50% level and is useless unless stationary. Another problem is that it is so heavy that the suction gives way after a short time. It is only a matter of time before it cracks the screen on falling. There need to be a more secure method of mounting; I am using the disc on the dashboard. I now wish I had stuck with my Go 500 which had a failing battery; it may have been worth replacing the battery as at least this SatNav was usable. I am also disappointed to find little help from Tom Tom above.

Dave
  • Barnowl82
    Novice Seeker
    So, from the comments, it would seem it is an update issue. Question is : what is Tomtom going to do about it? Shouldn't there be another update soon to rectify the bug?
  • Barnowl82
    Novice Seeker
    Just to say that we have just done a factory reset on our Go Discover as suggested by Vikram. It has solved the sound problem (hurrah!) although the version number is the same as before - 21.400.0007 (prod-keys) (06/01/2022)

Don't know what's going on but thank you Vikram. I hope this works for all of you out there who have the same problem.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited March 7
    Hi
    @Dave_Canon
    Welcome to the site...
    The 6" Tomtom devices including the NAV4, the later Wi-Fi devices and the 6" Go discover have the same size suction cup 58mm....
    The New 7" GO discover & GO Expert have a 70mm suction cup to compensate for the extra weight....
    Have you removed the thin plastic protective sheet from the suction cup
    Are you twisting the base clockwise until it clicks to lock it ???
    Is your windscreen and the suction cup clean, I have Several Tomtoms including the new 7" GO discover....
    The only one that has fallen off the screen was a GO 5000, this was in a friends' car who smoked....
    I thought his screen had a yellow tint :/ After I cleaned the screen and the mount and the device was OK for the rest of the day....

Have you tried the suggestion offer by user Barnowl82 in the post above ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Dave_Canon
    Dave_Canon Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    Barnowl82 wrote: »
    Just to say that we have just done a factory reset on our Go Discover as suggested by Vikram. It has solved the sound problem (hurrah!) although the version number is the same as before - 21.400.0007 (prod-keys) (06/01/2022)

Don't know what's going on but thank you Vikram. I hope this works for all of you out there who have the same problem.

Did you lose any settings such as stored My Places?

Dave
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited March 11
    Hi
    @Dave_Canon
    Welcome to the site...
    The MyPlaces etc are stored on the Tomtom Cloud....
    Are you logged into MyDrive on the Device? You need to be logged into MyDrive on the Devices to Sync Data....
    On the Go Discover/Expert... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> MyDrive....
    The MyDrive Web Route planner/Tomtom Cloud.... Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com/

See Tomtom video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lt-kaffey
    Lt-kaffey Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    reseting the device fixed the volume low problem for me