Calculate a different route for motorcycles than for cars? Eg London bridge open to bikes not cars?

uktomtommer
uktomtommer Registered Users Posts: 86
Outstanding Wayfarer
Does the TomTom Rider 550 calculate a different route for motorcycles and for cars, or does it calculate the same one? In other words, would the Rider and a car TomTom always calculate the same route, or would the Rider somehow optimise the route for a motorcycle?

Knowing that a longer itinerary might be shorter by motorcycle because, say, you can use the bus lane while cars can't would be fantastic, but I'm not sure any satnav is that advanced.

Where it could make a huge difference is knowing that some roads are closed to cars but open to motorcycles. London bridge is a major example: it is one of the main bridges between the north and the south of the city, it is closed to cars for most of the day but open to motorcycles.

I have tried planning a route from MyDrive: the bridge appears as closed for roadworks, so TomTom doesn't know that motorcycles can use it, and it redirects me to the nearest alternative bridge (even if I choose the motorcycle icon).
But my question is: does this happen because TomTom does not have up to date data on the status of London bridge, or because TomTom engine (unlike Waze) cannot distinguish between a route that works for cars and motorcycles and one that works for motorcycles only? Does any one have any example of TomTom calculating a different route for motorcycles?

Comments

• RoadRider
    RoadRider Registered Users Posts: 750
    Revered Pioneer
    Your Rider uses maps made for cars. So it does’t let you drive roads that are not accessible for cars.
    Even worse it does send you over routes that are closed for motorcycles.

Garmin has the same problem with there Zumo motorcycle navigation. The Here maps they use ar also only for cars.

@VikramK can you this on the “to fix” list.
  • uktomtommer
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    How about restrictions which only apply at certain times? Eg if a bridge or a road is open to cars only between 8pm and 6am - can TomTom hold this information, or does its software identify roads only as always open or always closed?

I guess the strength of Waze is not that it has maps made for motorcycles (it doesn't), but that its community updates maps with road layout changes, restrictions closures etc much more quickly and efficiently than TomTom or Garmin.

For me it's one more confirmation that, for A-to-B city riding, Waze is unbeatable. For country rides and tours, especially to follow a track planned on MyDrive or exported from Calimoto, MyRouteApp etc, TomTom is much better
  • RoadRider
    Revered Pioneer
    On manny roads time restrictions are available.
    For example when you like to plan a route in the mountains using MyDrive during winter you must set the date for using the route in the summer. Otherwise seasonal closures will prevent you from planing routes on the nice mountain passes.

Also time based speed limits like in the Netherlands work great.
  • uktomtommer
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Time restrictions as in winter / summer, or also as different times of the day? Is there any documentation on how this works in MyDrive or the Rider 550?

Also, and this is just curiosity, how do time-based speed limits work in the Netherlands? Something like 30 kmh in the cities during the day and 50 kmh at night?
  • RoadRider
    Revered Pioneer
    There is nothing to set on your Rider. The time and date restrictions just work (or not when there not on the map)

Here an example of the time-based speed limits. Mainly on highway's 9-19h 100 km/h after and before 130 km/h (120 on picture)

maxsnelheid.jpg