Transfer Life Time maps to new TOM TOM

Mission
Mission Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Seeker
My old 5 inch Tom Tom which has worked great for many years finally died, and at the same time!!!!!! Tom TOM sent me an email about new units at discount prices to members. So I emailed Tom Tom back and purchased a new 5 inch Go Basic, thinking I could simply up date the new unit to also have Western Europe installed as I have a life time subscription to it. I cannot see how to do this and after many attempts to contact TOM TOM by the support page and phone numbers that do not work I am stuck. How do I get the map onto my new unit ?

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,858
    Superuser
    Hi @Mission

Maps and any lifetime updating of them are tied to the serial number of the device they were supplied with and are not transferable between devices.

Doug
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,809
    Hi @Mission
    Welcome to the community! Map are not transferrable from one TomTom to another.
    The GO Basic you ordered comes with maps updates for Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia [As advertised on our webshop]

https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/navigation/car-gps/go-basic/#5inch

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • Mission
    Mission Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    So what you are saying is that lifetime maps are a marketing scam, I feel I should be able to transfer them to the new Tom Tom GPS (my third Tom Tom) as it was the unit that failed. Its not as though I am trying to get a map that I did not pay for. I have deleted the Asia maps because I do not use them but Europe I do.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,438
    Revered Voyager
    Hi
    @Mission

If you use your GPS mainly in Europe, buy your new Go Basic 5 inch in a European country.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,826
     Superuser
    edited February 14
    Hi
    @Mission
    Mission wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that lifetime maps are a marketing scam, I feel I should be able to transfer them to the new Tomtom GPS (my third Tomtom) as it was the unit that failed. It's not as though I am trying to get a map that I did not pay for. I have deleted the Asia maps because I do not use them but Europe I do.
    No, it's NOT a scam, there a several Tomtom sales zones around the world... i.e... 'UK & Europe', 'USA & Canada', 'Australia', etc etc. the devices have the appropriate map installed to suit the local sale zone... The Top-end Tomtom devices have World Maps the other Basic & Mid-range Tomtom devices have one map installed to suit the local sales areas….

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,858
    Superuser
    Hi @Mission

Lifetime updates has always related to the Maps and services that are tied to therelevant devices serial number. You will find that this is the standard practice for the industry.

Doug