Paid subscription with offline mapping?

walkerx
walkerx Registered Users Posts: 333
Supreme Navigator
Again I have had to use AmiGo on Android Auto due to the paid product TomTom Go failing during use as usual.

The only downside of AmiGo is that it is online only and no ability to download maps, so if you in a location with no internet it won't work, so you would have to fall back to Google Maps if you have downloaded the maps or probably waze (not sure if it runs without internet), you can't fall back to TomTom Go as if you have no internet it won't authenticate the licence so won't run on Android Auto mode.

If this app had a paid subscription, kept the same interface and notifications for cameras, traffic, accidents, etc and you were able to download a map for your county only, I would happily buy it over the TomTom Go app.

Wonder how many other users would also pay for these features?

Comments

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,966
    Hello @walkerx

Sorry to hear about your experience with GO App!
    walkerx wrote: »
    so if you in a location with no internet it won't work, so you would have to fall back to Google Maps if you have downloaded the maps or probably waze (not sure if it runs without internet), you can't fall back to TomTom Go as if you have no internet it won't authenticate the licence so won't run on Android Auto mode.
    We saw a few reports in the past about this but shouldn't happen anymore. Can you explain a specific scenario when this happens? It'll help us to reproduce the issue at our end. (Along with the information about Phone model, Android version, Android Auto version and App version installed)

Thanks, lampard
  • walkerx
    walkerx Registered Users Posts: 333
    Supreme Navigator
    Whenever I've tried running TomTom Go on Android Auto without internet connection it just fails and get a black screen. Not sure if the issues I had the other day with the app were the cause of driving into an area with poor to no network connection, but TomTom Go could not be used reliably and had nothing but problems which was why I ended up switching to AmiGo.

The only issues with AmiGo is no internet then no routing, etc seeing it is an online on product otherwise other than voice directions (ie no road names) it's far superior on audio notifications of cameras, accidents, queuing traffic.

Why can't we have similar on the paid app as we know its not a limitation of Google and Android Auto specifications, otherwise they wouldn't be on AmiGo