World map not compatible?

WilliamGoemaere
WilliamGoemaere Registered Users Posts: 8
Apprentice Seeker
Hi. I've got a TomTom Start 60 from my father. I'm going to Iceland but I couldn't find a map on the device. So my father bought the world map, where Iceland is included. However, after updating, there is still no sign of Iceland. I'm beginning to think that the device isn't compatible anymore. Is there a solution? If not, where can I apply for a refund?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• WilliamGoemaere
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    @YamFazMan
    I've tried before you asked but it didn't work.
    In the mean time I've gotten a mail from Tomtom. They acknowledge that the map of Iceland, included in the world map, doesn't work on NAV3.
    There's no need to look into this any further.

To everybody in this discussion: Thanks for all your help!

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,794
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi
    @WilliamGoemaere
    Welcome to the site....
    See post from @VikramK (Tomtom Forum Staff & Moderator)
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1661695/#Comment_1661695

My GO 5000 + 32GB Micro SDHC Memory card... Full Europe Map Pinch zoomed to Reykjavík...
    x1a44t2bdejk.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • WilliamGoemaere
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    When I select Europe, I can't select Reykjavik. Also, when I choose 'Location on map' I can see Iceland but there are no roads visible. I don't have the possibility to choose Europe North Zone. Could it be that my device no longer can process the latest maps?

Regards
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi
    @WilliamGoemaere
    Do you have a Memory card installed ???
    4rkrbionneke.jpg
    What are the 1st 2 characters of the serial number ??? (Only post the 1st 2 Characters)
    The first two letters define the Tomtom Model... i.e... "VB"

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • WilliamGoemaere
    Apprentice Seeker
    @YamFazMan
    Yes, I have a Memory Card installed.
    The serial number starts with 4E
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,348
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

Where to find the serial number.

• WilliamGoemaere
    Apprentice Seeker
    @Willy875
    Thanks for the info. I only gave the first 2 characters because that's what @YamFazMan needed.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    The serial number has 12 characters i.e... VB1234567890
    The 4E is the product code...
    See Tomtom FAQ... Which TomTom START device do you have?... The Video shows you where to find the Serial Number
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015808079-Which-TomTom-START-device-do-you-have-

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• WilliamGoemaere
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi,
    Sorry about the confusion. The serial number starts with WN2262 ...

Regards
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited February 13
    Hi
    @WilliamGoemaere
    If you look in the chart: Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1798377/#Comment_1798377
    "WN" is an early NAV3 device My GO 5000 is a later NAV4 device I'm not sure if the NAV3 Maps cover Iceland ???
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and able to check out the Map....
    Edit...
    See Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/travel-map/europe/
    Quote...
    ** Warning: Iceland is not covered in Europe map for Nav3 devices. Hereby the list: TomTom GO 1000, TomTom GO 1005 / GO 2050, TomTom GO LIVE 1000, TomTom GO LIVE 1005, TomTom GO LIVE 1050 / GO LIVE 2050, TomTom GO LIVE 820, TomTom GO LIVE 825, TomTom Start 20, TomTom Start 25, TomTom Start 60, TomTom Via 110, TomTom Via 120, TomTom Via 130 / 135, TomTom Via LIVE 120.
    End Quote...

According to the Map compatibly checker... World Maps look OK

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,348
    Revered Voyager
    edited February 13
    Message delete by me.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,830
    Superuser
    Hi @WilliamGoemaere

Just checking. The World Map is not one map but the collection of TT maps. When you go to Add a Maps in Settings can you find the list of maps and if so can you find Iceland on the list and then add it to your device.

Because you have the world maps on the device does not mean it will find Iceland unless the map has been selected. The World Maps would not fit on a 32gb card which is the max size recommended by TT.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited February 13
    Hi
    @WilliamGoemaere
    Route planning (NAV3 Device)
    The "WN" Start 60 is a NAV3 device, the World Map is a single download file but, on the device, it is displayed a list of individual countries....

On the screen where you enter your City/Postcode
    Screen top right is a Flag Icon... Tap the Flag Icon (Should be your countries flag) For example... The Belgium flag....

If you plan a trip to another Country, you will have to change the Map to suit....
    For example, a trip From Belgium to the Iceland.... Tap on the Belgium Flag Icon and type Ice or as much of the countries name, i.e... Iceland to put the Iceland map Icon at the top of the flag list
    Tap the Iceland Flag Icon... The Flag (Screen top right) will now be The Iceland Flag
    Now you can enter your Iceland Address and plan your journey....
    The Iceland map will now be the default Map

Each time you plan a trip to another Country, you will have to change the Map as above to suit
    Don't forget to switch back to your own Countries Map on your return

Download Start 60 User Manual....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014295820-Start-60-User-Manual

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • WilliamGoemaere
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan
    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I read the manual before I contacted you guys. I also did exactly as you said. The problem is that Iceland does't show up when I tap the flag icon.

So I figured I have the wrong region installed. As @DougLap stated, I have to engage the right map but none of the available regions includes Iceland.
    However, when I go to Tomtom MyDrive Connect and look at the available regions I can't seem to find Iceland. I even installed Tunesia and Egypt, because the map shows Iceland green on those specific countries (see attachment) But alas, to no avail...

The problem still remains and the only reason I can think of is that the device is too old for the latest maps, like you said in your previous post. I hope that somebody from Tomtom can sort this outoeymfpvo9diy.png
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @WilliamGoemaere
    Have you tried ???
    On the Start 60....
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Tap Right Cursor Twice for next page
    Tap (Switch map)
    Check which Map/s are installed on the device....
    Follow onscreen prompts to exit

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • WilliamGoemaere
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    @YamFazMan
    I've tried before you asked but it didn't work.
    In the mean time I've gotten a mail from Tomtom. They acknowledge that the map of Iceland, included in the world map, doesn't work on NAV3.
    There's no need to look into this any further.

To everybody in this discussion: Thanks for all your help!