Version 3.0

Jürgen
Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,580
Community Manager
On Saturday February 5 we started rolling out iOS 3.0. This is a phased rollout.
  • New default map style
  • Bug fixes and improvements
In some cases Apple CarPlay could show a white screen. This has now been fixed.

Comments

• PrivateerUK
    PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 399
    Supreme Pioneer
    From the iOS App Store:

• New default map style
    • Bug Fixes and improvements

Sorry, but I can't see a significant difference in the maps apart from v3.0 being more 'green', so woods and rivers are harder to spot.

The v2.8.3 iOS app was 191.8 MB, v3.0 is 230.3 MB and thus 20% larger this would indicate a lot more coding has been done unless, of course, that 20% is just padding to be bloatware.

So TomTom, please tell us what the improvements are.
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,580
    Community Manager
    I have merged an earlier thread with the release notes published today so that the notes are at the top.

@PrivateerUK
    This build updates the navigation SDK (software development kit) that lies under the app which is probably why you see a difference in memory used.
  • brucey
    brucey Registered Users Posts: 201
    Supreme Trailblazer
    edited February 7
    Not convinced that the routing isn’t applied automatically if a faster route is available even if ‘ask’ is selected in the routing options.

Would be nice if you could have a list of upcoming turns (on CarPlay) even if it was hidden behind in the menu option so I can see what the routing is intending to do rather then have situation where you turn off a major road to have to turn back onto it a few hundred yards down the road.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    edited February 7
    Hi @brucey

I have my GO Nav App set to ask me regarding a faster route. I cannot confirm whether not version 3 has changed anything but on the previous version last week I was travelling to an appointment and when I set off I did not know there had been a fatal accident just along the road from my appointment shutting the normal route that I take.

I have CarPlay in my Car and the App worked very well. Whilst when it arises you get the green faster route icon in the Route Bar on the Phones Display and you can Tap it in CarPlay the green icon is displayed in the Router but you cannot select it. As I drove along the route being suggested the Green icon started to suggest a 9 minute faster route. Just before the junction where the faster Route started there was a "Bong" and so when I looked at the CarPlay display I could shortly after see the Green route option displayed. Once I took it then it directed me along the quicker way. I took 10 minutes longer than my normal 30 minute journey time for my journey whilst some who were going to the same place were taking well over an hour more.

Doug
  • brucey
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Thanks for the comment DougLap and in the example above then alternative routing would be desirable and worked well for you.

I have seen a few examples particularly on a route near to one of the work offices near Melton Mowbray where it shows e.g 6 miles to the next turn. Then, because of congestion around town centre it’s automatically showing another turn before then without the appearance of a green alternative route on the 3D display or route bar.

Now If I knew what the alternative route intended and I wasn’t taking it blindly, then I might actually take it which takes me to my second point above showing upcoming instructions.

The app is improving though I have to say but not ready to abandon my 6200 totally yet other than on local runs
  • brucey
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Again I’ve seen this morning on a trip up from Nottingham to Teeside.

If you get on the A1 just past Ollerton it’s a very long and straight road to exit at junction 49.

Problems above Doncaster on A1, app altered routing automatically via M18 and M62 then back onto A1 with no green alternative route displayed.

6200 did offer route choice and I selected because it was a 20-30 minute time saving.

vcsvbmlbz1fu.png
  • Rob19
    Rob19 Registered Users Posts: 16
    Outstanding Explorer
    Can Jurgen, Lampard or anyone else from tomtom definitively state what v3.0 is supposed to do when a faster route is detected and “ask me so I can choose” is selected? Also, please explain how it differs from “decide by steering “ which supposedly was replaced. Thanks.
  • Richard6666666
    Richard6666666 Registered Users Posts: 20
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Is there an report button with carplay?
  • Arne1
    Arne1 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I just installed TomTom GO Navigation V 3.0 and while comparing the new color scheme with an older version, I immediately noticed the lack of (red-white) Road Closure visualizations. It does show some of them, but many are missing. The software does route around these points, but does not mention them. As a reference see this map and compare it with the new version.

I hope this is not one of the improvements you’re mentioning?
  • JCDas
    JCDas Sarnia, ON, CANRegistered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Seeker
    I just started using the iOS app with CarPlay in a VW atlas with MIB3 infotainment system.
    1. I tried other apps and really like ability to create a complex route on PC and sync with app. But I don’t see a way to start the route from CarPlay.
    2. I created a small test loop on PC and tried it on iPhone. It’s first turn is a right with a follow up U turn, instead of a left.
    kyo55zibr6tm.png

Hope to take a big road trip.

• JCDas
    Apprentice Seeker
    I’m planning another test drive today. kg3qbq51bk61.png
    So why does TomTom want to turn right out of my driveway and loop around instead of left to a main road? Is it trying to avoid left turns? Doesn’t give me confidence for a 10000km trip across North America.
  • PrivateerUK
    PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 399
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @JCDas,

Premusably you're in a country that drives on the right (has the steering wheel typically on the left), so a left turn crosses over traffic, and a right turn doesn't cross traffic? BTW I'm in the UK, where the opposite is true.

I believe that TomTom will weigh (or favour) a turn that doesn't cross traffic. So the first turn onto the road marked "27" will force you to cross traffic.

There is also the junction below where road "27" meets "Kings Highway" I can't tell from the image what the priority is! So TomTom may have considered both of those junctions for the route.

Try replicating the route via online MyDrive and Google and Apple maps. Do they all do the same as above? If not, where do they differ?

If the routing is wrong in MyDrive, then zoom right in to check for any priority issues.

Regards,
  • JCDas
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi PrivateerUK.
    Yes, I'm in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada and we drive on the right side of the road, steering wheel on the Left of the car.

MyDrive route is OK.
    cpkwsb3hjogr.jpg
    Google Maps is OK.
    p9jmvpqw029t.png
    Apple Maps is OK.
    v7ozyavgm5qc.png
    Waze wants me to turn Right, then Right again and do a Uturn, then turn Right in the correct direction.
    i58pwu9zinv4.png
    However, a second attempt worked OK.
    Here is OK.
    9cj7ndf36nhb.png

Ironically, with the Route Planning 'Fastest', it calculates a long loop. If I change it to the 'Shortest route' it will start with a Left turn but then do a slower route instead of taking an expressway.

I also had problems today with no announcements on Car Play. It was OK in the morning, but I lost it in the afternoon. Might have to re-boot my VW MIB3 Infotainment system.

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Hi @JCDas

What happens, if you create the route with the TT Go App on your phone then display in CarPlay and assuming it still showing turn right out of drive, when you then turn left out of your drive. I assume it then will do the route you are expecting.

I am in the U.K. and if I ask the App to create a route it indicates a route which would require you to turn left out of where I think your drive is. I find it difficult to believe but you mention Waze once also turning right but then seeking to do a u turn via a side road. It is possible that the App, like maybe the Waze App was, is thinking you are facing towards the right when you create the route and so goes that way and does a big loop to get you going towards your destination but I am surprised it is that far.

Doug
  • JCDas
    Apprentice Seeker
    I've been experimenting with TT MyDrive and Go iOS App. I like many features, but there are some quirks that need some work. Here are some comments.

1. Ability to delete or hide the 'Work' destination from CarPlay. I'm retired, and have no work location. Just clutters up the screens. It doesn't show up on iPhone Menu, but it does in CarPlay screen.
    2. Add the 'My Routes' option to the CarPlay menu.
    l8rlfh85kqse.jpg
    3. Add the upcoming turns to the secondary info screen in the Drivers Information Center (DIC). It works with Apple Maps, but not with TomTom, Google Maps, Here We Go, Waze.
    4. Enable direction sound control when in CarPlay via Car's audio. Apple Maps within CarPlay will turn down the audio stream volume when an announcement is being made.
    5. I live in Canada, on the boarder of USA. Bridge with a Toll separates us. I tried to find a Gas(Petrol) station. Most of the presented options were from USA, while I was in Canada.
    6. Finding locations by Postal Code is quirky. Canadian Postal Codes are in the format of A1A 1A1 (A=A-Z, 1=0-9) If I search for my home providing House Number + Street Name, City, Province, Postal Code, TT will NOT display my address for selection. It will show another address on my street with the same Postal Code (3KM away) or a generic selection representing the entire street. I have to back space out the 1A1 portion of my address before my actual address is actually shown for selection. I wonder if TT should parse the Postal Code and attempt to find matching addresses by house number + street name + Postal Prefix if no direct match is found by house number + street name + full Postal Code. (BTW, the same 'faulty' logic is used in my VW Atlas MIB3 Infotainment system, and I have to back out the Postal Code Suffix.) This is really quirky. If I search other addresses from my Contacts, SOME will find a match with full postal codes, and some do NOT.

John
  • brucey
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Still think on version 3.0.1 that automatic rerouting is being applied as witnessed by delays in and around Dartford this morning.

Can someone from TomTom clarify whether this is still the case, whether there is likely to be a fix in upcoming versions and what the time saving should be before a green route alternative is offered?

Thank you