Same route Google 6hrs10, TT 8hrs30

grof
grof Registered Users Posts: 94
Supreme Trailblazer
I've loaded this route now a number of times with much the same result. No motorways and fastest route from se London to penzance. Google says 298 miles and TT says 332 and an extra 2hrs 20 mins. Any ideas wots going on here?
«1

Comments

  • dezmo
    dezmo Registered Users Posts: 94
    Revered Navigator
    Although on TomTom the new NDS maps are much worse than they were. Your settings on TT may not be as they should be.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi Dezmo, yes I've checked my settings, avoid motorways and fastest. Same as Google. That's why im so confused. The Google estimation is about right based on historic experience. TT is wildly wrong!! Would like to get to the bottom of this as I have a touring holiday coming up.
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    Hi @grof ,

    May I ask for exact departure point to check this issue. I understand that destination is Penzance town.
  • jacare60
    jacare60 Registered Users Posts: 60
    Renowned Trailblazer
    edited February 10
    It's complicated to use TT, because some time ago it started to give errors in the route planning. If you're not careful, the trip will get longer.
    I plan a route from São Paulo to São José do Rio Preto and TT gives me totally wrong routes, longer and slower, even though the app is configured to plan the fastest routes, recommended by TT.
    The correct one, which is the fastest and the shortest, in red, does not appear.


    perwimuq5lb9.jpeg
    p2ndjbmurodo.jpeg





    Mod edit: Machine translated (Portuguese)
  • Lepre
    Lepre Registered Users Posts: 131
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    grof wrote: »
    I've loaded this route now a number of times with much the same result. No motorways and fastest route from se London to penzance. Google says 298 miles and TT says 332 and an extra 2hrs 20 mins. Any ideas wots going on here?

    Hi grof,
    I have been writing for years that Tom Tom is no longer what he used to be ... you too are saying that TT's routes are much longer and useless, many times he makes me take country roads where only one car passes, while many times it makes you do 30 km more to arrive one minute earlier with a faster route ... What is the point of all this?
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi @szachowa

    Yes, I have PM'd you my exact location, but I'm in SE London and routing fastest avoiding motorways to Penzance in Cornwall. Thanks
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    grof wrote: »
    Hi @szachowa

    Yes, I have PM'd you my exact location, but I'm in SE London and routing fastest avoiding motorways to Penzance in Cornwall. Thanks

    I'm checking with developers. My investigation shows that route that we propose is more or less the same (with selected avoids) as in AmiGO, whereas in Google Maps, proposed route barely changes when selecting option to "avoid highways".
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi @szachowa

    That doesn't surprise me, the West country is notorious for not having any motorways! There is the M5 but its more north / South than East/ West, so not really a contender. Regardless, 8hrs plus is way too much based on my experience, unless there's a crash or something!
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    edited February 10
    Be good to get to the bottom of this as I do have a UK motorcycle tour I'm planning for. I just tried the search again and Google 6.26hrs and TT 8.23hrs, the routes are quite different though! Thanks.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Yes, looking at the Google vs TT route again, between Exeter and Truro Google uses the much more direct A30, which is what I would do and indeed did do before sat navs. For some reason or other, the TT uses a much less direct northern route!
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    In our case, whenever you select to avoid highways, we will avoid everything that meets the definition of the "controlled-access highway":
    A fully controlled-access highway provides an unhindered flow of traffic, with no traffic signals, intersections or property access. They are free of any at-grade crossings with other roads, railways, or pedestrian paths, which are instead carried by overpasses and underpasses.
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled-access_highway)

    In some cases, it may cause discrepancies, as one observed here. I'm open for further questions regarding this topic.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hello @szachowa. Thanks for your response, that explains the different route and longer journey time Vs Google. Thing is I'm not selecting avoid highways, I'm selecting avoid motorways! These are not the same thing at all.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hello @szachowa,

    Are you able to tell me if/when this might be fixed. It clearly makes a big difference to route planning! Thanks
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    grof wrote: »
    Hello @szachowa,

    Are you able to tell me if/when this might be fixed. It clearly makes a big difference to route planning! Thanks

    At the moment we don't plan to change it. We will monitor how many users mention discrepancies and decide upon that.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi @szachowa
    I've just got back from a good days riding from London down to the south coast. I used the TT to get me there and back. Interestingly I came back a way I know and as soon as I got near the A20, the TT app tried to take me on the back roads, some B road I'd never used. Whilst on the A20, the app kept trying to get me to come off the A20 and use a different route. I'm guessing this is again because it is mistaking the A20 as a motorway which is not!

    I appreciate your response, but I don't see how you can not plan to change it when it just plain wrong!! Just counting how many times it is wrong won't make it right. It is clearly a mistake. Motorways are M roads, neither the A30, nor the A20 are motorways.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    edited February 23
    Hi @szachowa
    I also noticed that this is also wrong in the TT mydrive desktop app. This is the app that I use mainly for my route planning!
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    Thanks @grof ,

    I will pass your message to the dev team.
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    grof wrote: »
    Hi @szachowa
    I've just got back from a good days riding from London down to the south coast. I used the TT to get me there and back. Interestingly I came back a way I know and as soon as I got near the A20, the TT app tried to take me on the back roads, some B road I'd never used. Whilst on the A20, the app kept trying to get me to come off the A20 and use a different route. I'm guessing this is again because it is mistaking the A20 as a motorway which is not!

    I appreciate your response, but I don't see how you can not plan to change it when it just plain wrong!! Just counting how many times it is wrong won't make it right. It is clearly a mistake. Motorways are M roads, neither the A30, nor the A20 are motorways.

    Hi @grof , may I ask for more precise route that has been used (coordinates of departure and destination)? We want to check this case.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    edited March 2
    Hi @szachowa

    The destination was the same se6 postcode I pm'd you. And the starting point was winchelsea beach in East Sussex. As I was heading north towards the A20 TT tried to get me to avoid it, and to pull off it when I was on it! I stayed on it all the way and there were no restrictions or accidents! Hope that helps.
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    grof wrote: »
    Hi @szachowa

    The destination was the same se6 postcode I pm'd you. And the starting point was winchelsea beach in East Sussex. As I was heading north towards the A20 TT tried to get me to avoid it, and to pull off it when I was on it! I stayed on it all the way and there were no restrictions or accidents! Hope that helps.

    Thank you. Just to confirm here, you have selected option in Settings to avoid motorways?
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Yes! That's correct. I put my destination into the app in winchelsea and followed the instructions until I got to the A20 at which point the TT tried to get me to take a B road. I completely ignored it and then it just kept trying to get me to pull off! Hope that's useful
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    edited March 15
    @grof , just to confirm (I have changed departure point), you have taken this route:
    ck7h3yf7pp5b.png

    instead of proposed one depicted below:
    2b8qkwkcloga.png

    But this is again according to our route planning algorithm. A20 is controlled-access highway.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hello @szachowa

    I'm glad you have been able to replicate what seems to be happening to me also. I can see from your second example that you selected 'Avoid Motorways', but the algorithm has confused motorways with controlled access highways. There must be a way to prevent this from happening as we can see when the same journey and criteria is selected using say Google maps. I'm glad you have got to the bottom of it though as it's confused me for ages as to why the journeys between the two apps were sometimes presenting quite different routes.

    Perhaps you won't change the algorithm parameters but instead change the tab to 'avoid controlled access highways'. However, I know there is a community of riders and drivers who just wish to avoid motorways, and in the UK the rules for motorway driving are different to A roads. I think it needs to be one or the other though as at the moment its very confusing.

    Thanks
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    edited March 15
    Hi @grof , thank you for this feedback.
    I will report improvement to change naming of avoid types. I agree that this is very confusing at the moment.

    EDIT:
    We have this already planned under GONAV-3011 (internal ticket). At the moment I can't provide information when improvement about naming in avoid screen will be delivered.
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    I guess that might make motorcycle journeys a little more pleasurable, albeit if a little longer!