Faster Route Available

Rob19
Rob19 Registered Users Posts: 15
Outstanding Explorer
Historically, when the app detected a faster route during a trip, an audio warning sounded and the driver could tap on the CarPlay screen if he wanted to be guided to the new faster route. This feature was removed only to be restored in some form in v2.7.2.
Since it was restored I have never received an audible warning of a faster route. A few times, during random glances at the screen while driving, I have noticed a green route highlighted and occasionally a green circle with crossed white arrows. Tapping on the CarPlay screen does nothing. I have “Ask me so I can choose “ selected under “When a faster route is available” and am using the latest version of the app and iOS. Can some explain what is suppose to happen when the app detects a faster route? I need it to work the way it did before it was removed. Thanks.

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,835
    Superuser
    Hi @Rob19

When the Green Icon appears in the Route Bar in CarPlay it is indicating there as a faster route ahead and it alternates with a Green Icon with an indication of the saving in time should you take the fastest route.

When you are approaching the junction where you can choose or not to take the faster route there is a “bong” sound to draw your attention to there being something to look at on the screen.

At the relevant junction the Blue route beyond the junction is the original route and the Green turning off the junction is the suggested Faster Route. Whichever route you take from the junction will either the original route or the new faster route and it will direct you accordingly.

Doug
  • Rob19
    Outstanding Explorer
    Doug

Thanks but unless I am missing something, isn’t this the same thing as “decide by steering “ which it was supposed to replace? In my experience, a faster route almost always becomes available in heavy traffic in a complex intersection and I was never able to safely take my eyes off the road long enough to study the screen and figure out the alternative route. Under the prior, inexplicably abandoned system, if I wanted to take the faster route I just had to just tap the screen to get audio guidance to the new route. Also, while I have no problem hearing audio directions and camera warnings, I don’t believe I have ever heard a “bong” sound in connection with the green icon. Is there some setting that I need to change to activate that sound?

I really hope I am wrong but it sounds like the Tomtom “fix” in v2.7.2 didn’t come close to solving the unusability of decide by steering that I and many other commenters have previously pointed out.

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,835
    Superuser
    Hi @Rob19

If you have a route displayed on your IPhone you are able to Tap items in the Route bar. To be honest I don't know if you can Tap the Green Faster route icon and select or reject it earlier as I have never tried it.

I do know that when you are using the App in CarPlay mode whilst you can see the same icons in the Route Bar they will not respond to being Tapped as all that will happen is the Route Options etc will appear at the Top just as if you had Tapped the screen in general. I assume the noise is there because you can't Tap it and I assume you would get the same noise if you had ignored it when using the iPhone in case you had not realised the Faster ROUTE OPTION WAS THERE..

Recently I was going to a hospital some 30 minutes away and I was directed well away from the normal suggested route and during the trip I had a 9 minutes faster green icon. There was a noise as I approached the Junction where the faster route was displayed in green. In the end I took 40 minutes for the journey but some had taken 2 hours to get to the hospital because of the serious accident that had occurred.

Doug
  • Rob19
    Outstanding Explorer
    Jurgen

Can you, or anyone else from tomtom, comment on the above and explain how the current formulation is different (other than superficially) from “decide by steering “ that was supposedly replaced?