traffic subscription

shanna44
shanna44 Registered Users Posts: 8
Novice Seeker
Can somebody please help me, I don't know how to reach out to customer service, how to get somebody from tomtom on the phone and am getting really frustrated with tomtom. My old one didn't work properly, had problems with the traffic service and couldn't contact tomtom so let it slide. Now got a new one for christmas: same issue. Traffic service does not work and no way to actually get somebody from tomtom to help me.
Can't connect the tomtom to my phone, coz i need to switch on personal hotspot and don't want to use data. So bought the subscription for tomtom traffic life services. It's activated if I log in on the website, but it does not work on my tomtom. Same issue: have to use data from my phone to connect the tomtom to my phone (bluetooth tethetering personal hotspot) and then I can log on to my My drive account and the traffic services works. Not what I want, not why bought the tomtom and the subscribtion.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,830
    Superuser
    Hi @shanna44

I see according to your profile you have a GO Discover model. These units do not have inbuilt Mobile Sims and depend on getting the Traffic Data etc using the data allowance on the Paired Mobile Phone. The amount of data used is very small.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,794
    Superuser
    Hi
    @shanna44
    Download GO Discover User Manual....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360019383040-GO-Discover-User-Manual

Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 & Staff working from home….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • shanna44
    Novice Seeker
    It is not listed on the (Dutch) website that you need to use data from your phone to use the traffic service. And it's mentioned that you can buy the subscription / plan to have access to live services in stead of using data, which I did and it's not working. I don't want to use my phone, not for data, not the battery. If I do that, there is no need to buy a tomtom at all. Then I can just use my phone for GPS, data etc google maps works perfect, never a problem compared to tomtom now.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,348
    Revered Voyager
    shanna44 wrote:
    It is not listed on the (Dutch) website that you need to use data from your phone to use the traffic service.

Specifications

kn4prj1i5k1w.jpg

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/car-gps-sat-nav/go-discover/#5inch

Connecting a GO Discover or GO Expert to TomTom services using your smartphone

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018677960-Connexion-d-un-GO-Discover-ou-d-un-GO-Expert-aux-services-TomTom-à-l-aide-de-votre-smartphone
  • shanna44
    Novice Seeker
    Bluetooth, not data
  • shanna44
    Novice Seeker
    And the only reason I got a new Tomtom discover pro is because my old on, the via 53, wouldn't connect anymore through bluetooth (no data / personal hotspot needed in the past) and that's why traffic service did not work anymore. Though is should work untill 2028 and now I even got a new subscription for nothing for the discover pro.
    How do i connect the via 53 through bluetooth with my iphone so i can return the discover pro which is expensive and has no function for me
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,348
    Revered Voyager
    When activating Go, did you agree to share information with Tomtom?
  • shanna44
    Novice Seeker
    I did, I reset the new TomTom at one point too, since I read that in some of the comments