How to analyse TomTom csv file

fspade
fspade Registered Users Posts: 19
Outstanding Wayfarer
Hello,
I have been using my TomTom watch (8RS00) for years and am getting my data automatically uploaded to strava by TomTom Sports connect.
I see that for each run, the are four files stored on my computer, one of which is a csv file. I have looked at it, but wasn't able to make much sense of it.
z2enn1obdzbb.jpg
Is there some use in having a closer look at that data file, and if so, how can I make the best use of it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Frank

Answers

• HvdW
    HvdW Registered Users Posts: 41
    Renowned Wayfarer
    In fact all information is presented in graphics on Strava and TomTom Sports.
    It creates your heartbeat in a graph, your speed and GPS positions are displayed on the map.
    What you see in the CSV file is all information gathered by your TomTom watch in a nice human readable table.
    When you open the GPX file you will see all the GPS positions displayed in another form.
    The ttbin file is a TomTom binary file containing about the same information.

To answer your question; I think there is no use diving into these data unless you want to extract part of it.
  • fspade
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    »I think there is no use diving into these data unless you want to extract part of it.«
    Hm, you think ...
    I was hoping to find somebody who knows more, but thanks anyway.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    fspade wrote: »
    »I think there is no use diving into these data unless you want to extract part of it.«
    Hm, you think ...
    I was hoping to find somebody who knows more, but thanks anyway.

Every site or platform has a different way of handling the data it imports. Some take the data as is while others reprocess it and apply their own calculations and smoothing algorithms to it. I actually use the data directly from the CSV file as it is raw data, not adjusted in any way by Strava or other services. I have a tool I built that extracts any bad data and recalculates based on that. If you look at the data file you will see that many times the length of the run is different than what was on the watch (it is only a difference of a few seconds usually, but I am anal retentive about it). It is ultimately not going to be a material difference but if you are very into data then the raw files are useful.
  • fspade
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Thanks. Will you share your tool? Does it give you information or insights Strava doesn't offer, other than the rounding differences in seconds?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    fspade wrote: »
    Thanks. Will you share your tool? Does it give you information or insights Strava doesn't offer, other than the rounding differences in seconds?

It is just an Excel spreadsheet that I use to recalculate calories (I have yet to find a watch or site that gets it right) and tracks all my workouts and race results, among other things.