Traffic with built in Sim Card 6250

NickTheTrucker
NickTheTrucker Registered Users Posts: 8
Master Traveler
Hi

I have a 6250 with lifetime map/speed cameras and traffic.

Just recently I’m finding that traffic reception is very intermittent, most of the time it’s showing the no traffic symbol on the route bar.
I’ve followed the trouble shooting video and it hasn’t helped, the only way I can get traffic back on is to shut down the device (often three or four times) and restart then sometimes traffic shows again.

Please can somebody help, the best thing about tomtom is the brilliant traffic service.

Many thanks
Nick

Comments

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 300
    Supreme Pioneer
    @NickTheTrucker
    Did your device fell off which could move the SIM card fitted inside?
  • NickTheTrucker
    Master Traveler
    edited February 5
    Hi @fergussion

No I don’t think it ever has.

But if that’s the issue am I able to get support from Tomtom for this?
  • NickTheTrucker
    Master Traveler
    @fergussion

UPDATE:

I think you maybe onto something with this as the device is now connected to my home wifi and connects to traffic every time.

I’m going to test it with the WiFi hotspot on my phone when I’m back at work and see if that solves the problem, if it does then I’ll see if I can find a local repair place that could open the unit and sort out the built in sim.

Our Mercedes Actros Units have built in TomTom that I’d like to use instead but these units have the same issue with intermittent traffic.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,436
    Revered Voyager
    Hi @NickTheTrucker

The Sim card is located under the label so if your GPS is no longer under warranty, remove the Sim, clean it and reinsert it.
  • NickTheTrucker
    Master Traveler
    @Willy875

Would that be the label on the bottom or on the back?

e7dkxeao7b76.jpg
  • NickTheTrucker
    Master Traveler
    Okay found it under the bottom sticker but….

Does it just pull out or is spring loaded so push it in and it pops out?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,826
     Superuser
    edited February 5
    Hi
    @NickTheTrucker
    Note... Australia & Switzerland have ended the 2G phone services so no GPRS SIM signal....

Tomtom video shows what you can do when the Traffic services are not working on your navigation device....

Be aware that a Live Device... The SIM card is automatically deactivated if the Live Traffic on the device has NOT been used for 18 months....
    Tomtom sends emails to the affected users and give 28 days notice before deactivating the SIM card... in the above circumstance the deactivated SIM cannot be reactivated....

GPRS SIM connection on the Tomtom Live devices....
    There are 3 Data connection options that can have a higher/priority/override the Built-in GPRS SIM....
    To check the Data Connection status....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About…
    Scroll down to Data Connection & GPRS Status....
    What does the device report???
    Is the GPRS Status... Connected ???

Further Info...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1752190/#Comment_1752190

Maybe worth consideration if the device is out of guarantee....... I think the SIM contacts oxidize over time and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....

The SIM cards for the Live NAV3, NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices are located under concealed flaps and/or stickers in various location on the devices....
    On the GO 5200/6200/Premium... The SIM Card is situated under the sticker bearing the serial number....
    acrlkaji0g4o.jpg
    I think the SIM contacts tarnish/oxidize over time, and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....
    With the device turned OFF...
    Carefully remove the sticker... It's advisable to use Antistatic precautions when handling the SIM... You will need a pair of 'fine' pointed tweezers to remove the SIM....
    If you pull out the SIM a little way, and reinsert it, repeat this a few times, it should now remake a good connection....
    I used double-sided sticky tape to replace the Serial Number sticker....

Warning... The above will void your Tomtom guarantee....
    All the usual disclaimers apply, all the above is at your own discretion

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • NickTheTrucker
    Master Traveler
    Yea thanks all.

I’ve now managed to get the SIM card out and it does just pull out, why they didn’t make it a spring loaded like a memory card I’ll never know.

But when it says fine point that’s an understatement, I have some very fine point ones and even they were not fine enough to grab both sides, but I managed to lever it out by using just one side of the tweezers.

SIM is now back in and is receiving traffic service, kind of concerned that it won’t last and will go intermittent again, but it’s at least fixed for now.

I guess if I have further problems I can just use the WiFi hotspot off my phone, but that kinda defeats the point of having a built in SIM card, I didn’t want to mess about getting it connected each time.

But thanks for the help all, I’ll try it for a few days and see if it’s fixed long term 👍🏻
  • BullRot
    BullRot Registered Users Posts: 3
    New Seeker
    Sometimes it has "dead spots" with 2G signals as well, but it comes back.
    Was actually surprised it was the SIM itself.
  • NickTheTrucker
    Master Traveler
    Hi guys

I’ve now used it for two days straight, and traffic hasn’t dropped out once 🙌🏻

So I’m going to regard this as fixed, thanks to all of you.