TOMTOM Go premium completely dead.

Coramor
Coramor Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
My TomTom Go premium was working ok until I stopped for a few minutes at a shop. The device shut down as expected, but did not restart when I restarted the car and has since failed to restart. I have tried connecting using my home charger, laptop and the car to no avail. Is there anything I can do to get it to start.way

Answers

• kitjag37
    kitjag37 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Apprentice Traveler
    Had exactly the same happen to me today , it seems to be absolutely dead as if it has no charge in it .
  • Coramor
    Apprentice Traveler
    I had the same happen to a week old TomTom rider earlier this year. It simply stopped working. it was replaced without any quibble from the vendor. However this device is exactly 1 year and a week old!
    One thing that I have noticed compared with my older TOMTOM products (I have had earlier models of the Rider and Go devices in the past) is that these new ones can take ages to start up and are often unresponsive to selections. WiFi updates are great - but only if they are an actual improvement.
    I had tried a soft reset when it initially stopped which didn't work, and a few since then.
    However, can you believe - I have just tried another soft reset and its fired up as if nothing has happened. Very frustrating - but it appears to have fixed itself after 24 hours. Thank you for your interest and for going to the trouble of getting back to me.
  • kitjag37
    Apprentice Traveler
    Coramor wrote: »
    I had the same happen to a week old TomTom rider earlier this year. It simply stopped working. it was replaced without any quibble from the vendor. However this device is exactly 1 year and a week old!
    One thing that I have noticed compared with my older TOMTOM products (I have had earlier models of the Rider and Go devices in the past) is that these new ones can take ages to start up and are often unresponsive to selections. WiFi updates are great - but only if they are an actual improvement.
    I had tried a soft reset when it initially stopped which didn't work, and a few since then.
    However, can you believe - I have just tried another soft reset and its fired up as if nothing has happened. Very frustrating - but it appears to have fixed itself after 24 hours. Thank you for your interest and for going to the trouble of getting back to me.

To do a soft reset/hard reset you need to have the device switched on , mine will not switch on .
  • Coramor
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Kitjag37.
    Mine was also apparently dead. No response, no screen - nothing.
    According to the help line instructions, a soft reset simply involves holding down the "Start" button for as long as it needs - up to 15 seconds, or until you hear the TOMTOM drum signature sound.
    I had tried mine a couple of times since its apparent failure, but it actually fired up on this occasion. I had put it on my home charger overnight to ensure the battery was fully charged (they recommend at least 2 hours, but I may not have been holding the button in long enough. 15seconds seems a long time!

Worth a go?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,818
    Superuser
    edited February 4
    Hi
    A Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh
    RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs
    (Preferably using something like an iPhone Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a Mains/USB power supply while the device is restarting
    (Note a PC USB port only output 500MA (0.5 Amp)
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • kitjag37
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi , thanks for the tips , I have tried the 15 second start-up & pressed the button for 2 mins , guess what "still no start up" its dead , I am going to try the "throw it down the toilet test & then stick 240 volts up it" that should do the trick :o
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,852
    Superuser
    Hi @kitjag37

Did you charge the unit for 2 hours using a Smart Phone mains charger plug which will take the USB cable as suggested by @YamFazMan before you then pressed and held the button until you heard the drumroll sound.

Doug
  • kitjag37
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Doug , its been on charge all night via a smartphone mains charger , it just ain't working mate .
  • Collo49
    Collo49 Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    yea mine is the same get half a drum beat and all gone Fully charged cos I got to the operating system detail and it said battery 100%
    Might be off to Garmin
  • Collo49
    Collo49 Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Does anyone know what the life expctancy of a GO600 is?
  • kitjag37
    Apprentice Traveler
    Collo49 wrote: »
    yea mine is the same get half a drum beat and all gone Fully charged cos I got to the operating system detail and it said battery 100%
    Might be off to Garmin

You got half a drum beat ? I'm jealous :#
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,818
    Superuser
    edited February 6
    Hi
    @Collo49
    Welcome to the site....
    Collo49 wrote: »
    yea mine is the same get half a drum beat and all gone Fully charged cos I got to the operating system detail and it said battery 100% (Snip)
    For the soft restart you're suposed to release the power button when you hear the drum roll sounds...
    A Soft/Drum roll restart on the device restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Mains/USB Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a Mains/USB power Charge while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • kitjag37
    Apprentice Traveler
    Well lads & lasses you are not going to believe this , I thought I would give it one last go before I binned it , so I plugged my Premium X into the charger & it has come on again without me even switching it on , everything is working as it should & its even kept its memory , ow about that then .