Viewing preplanned .itn routes of Pyrenees whilst still in the UK

TonyCooling
TonyCooling Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
Hi, please be gentle as this is my first post and I'm a novice.

I've downloaded a GPX file from "Ride" magazine for a planned trip to the Pyrenees.
I've used a third party piece of software to convert it to an .itn file (so that I can skip way points).
I've now imported that file into the TT Rider 550, and downloaded the "Iberia" map and changed that to my current map. So far so good.

When I try to open the route, to view it, the device says "No route possible". Do I actually have to be physically in Spain to be able to see the map on my 550?

Best Answer

• RoadRider
    RoadRider Registered Users Posts: 750
    Revered Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Yes the SD card is only for maps when formated on the Rider.
    When you format the SD card on your PC you can use it to import routes. (No maps anymore)

I advice you to leave the map on the SD card and import the .ITN route using the USB cable.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,826
    Superuser
    Hi
    @TonyCooling
    Using the MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Planning a .ITN Route from your 1st Stop (Not Home)

(1)... Plan your .ITN Route... 1st Stop --> Destination
    (2)... Then add 2nd Stop --> 3rd Stop --> 4th Stop --> 5th Stop...
    (3)... Place a sacrificial stop close to the 1st Stop (Not your Home)
    (4)... Calculate the Route
    (5)... Click on the Send Stops (Button)

When the .ITN Route has synced to the device and the Route has calculated (The route will calculate from your present location i.e... Home)
    (6)... On the Device... Zoom in on the 'Sacrificial Stop' Icon 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from the 'Sacrificial Stop' location
    (7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the Route name as required or simply Tap Add

Maybe Useful....
    Click on the link below....
    Scroll down to my Workaround 'Using a Sacrificial Stop'
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1720215/#Comment_1720215

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TonyCooling
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you Gents, I'll download the Europe map over the weekend and try all the pointers you have given and get back to you, many thanks again.

Also, any idea why I cant copy .itn files onto the SD card? (It will copy on to the internal memory).

Is this what the manual means when it say "routes and maps cannot be stored on the memory card as it requires different formatting"??

If this is the case, I may not have enough room for all my .itn files and the Europe map, is the only option to use GPX files stored on the memory card? if so, I guess I wont be able to skip way points which is rather annoying.

Am I correct in thinking memory card can only store GPX files, is this all people use the SD card for??
  • RoadRider
    RoadRider Registered Users Posts: 750
    Revered Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Yes the SD card is only for maps when formated on the Rider.
    When you format the SD card on your PC you can use it to import routes. (No maps anymore)

I advice you to leave the map on the SD card and import the .ITN route using the USB cable.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @TonyCooling
    See Easy route upload & Micro SDHC Memory card Transfer....
    Here.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1705962/#Comment_1705962

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TonyCooling
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you again gents, very much appreciated.
    So, two different ways of formatting and if I understand correctly.

1) if I format a 32gb card in the 550 and I can store maps and gpx files on it, but not .itn files?

2) to save storage on the device, it would be better storing the “Europe map” on my card, formatted in the 550, then store the .itn files on the 550 internal memory?

If the above is correct, would you mind explaining how I get the map onto the card? Do I need to connect it to the PC or is there a function on the 550 to move the map across?
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited February 5
    Hi
    @TonyCooling
    (Snip) (1) if I format a 32gb card in the 550, and I can store maps and GPX files on it, but not .ITN files?
    A Memory Card formatted FAT32 Will Store .ITN Routes & .GPX Tracks >> NO MAPS <<
    (Snip) (2) to save storage on the device, it would be better storing the “Europe map” on my card, formatted in the 550, then store the .itn files on the 550 internal memory? (Snip)
    A Memory Card formatted FAT32 then formatted on the device to the Tomtom Propriety format will >> ONLY store MAPS <<

You will need a small map from your World Map Collection installed on the on-board memory on the device, see Catch22....
    Catch22...
    Install a small Map on the on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices, to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device (400 MB is considered the minimum 'Free Space', the more 'Free Space' the faster the device will operate)...
    The smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also, if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running....
    (Snip) If the above is correct, would you mind explaining how I get the map onto the card? Do I need to connect it to the PC or is there a function on the 550 to move the map across?
    Firstly, install a small Map from your World Map Collection onto the on-board memory on the device....
    As far as I recall, if you are using Wi-Fi, the Rider 4/5xx asks where to install the Map (i.e... On-board or Memory card)

Maybe useful...
    Updating a Tomtom Wi-Fi device over USB (Using the MyDrive Connect Menu Structure)
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure

If you are updating a Tomtom using MyDrive Connect... See link below how to install the Map to either the 'On-board' memory or a 'Memory card'....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1121585/nav4-devices-mydrive-connect-not-offering-the-latest-map-update

Download 'RIDER 500/550 User Manual'
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014295100-RIDER-500-550-User-Manual

Stay Safe... ATB YFM