Tomtom Go 5000 will not update to latest map, smaller updates okay mem card fitted

gibbo1
gibbo1 Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Seeker
Tomtom Go 5000 will not update to latest map, I have installed and formatted a 32GB memory card which can be seen on the device and on my connect, it allows you to update but the device doesn't do anything, have seen other threads where you need to download a small map then delete and reinstall the Europe map, not sure how to get the small map

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    Revered Voyager
    If you can already add the smaller updates, adding a smaller map by the moderator will be useless
    can you try with another SD card that you will have formatted with the GPS.
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    thanks for getting back, the card is new and was formatted in the device okay, which states okay to use for maps and routes, the smaller updates go to the internal memory, so was just confirming that I can update, there are similar threads with this problem, adding the smaller map allows you to delete the large Europe map and then when you re add the large map it should go onto the memory card..
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    I guess it's part of the Europe map that must be installed on the internal memory without a map the GPS turns on with map not found.
    Currently, the full 9GB Europe map cannot be installed due to lack of space
    normally if you select the complete Europe map it must be installed on the SD card.
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Willy, yes I think your right, I'm just trying to find someone to help with it, it seems difficult to speak direct with someone at Tomtom support.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,721
    Hi @gibbo1
    A different version of the Europe map has been activated for your TomTom. This map should be offered to you in smaller map regions/countries when you check for updates in MyDrive Connect.

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Vikram, thank you, I have added a small one to the device okay and a larger one (Iberia) to the SD card all okay, the Europe map on the device memory still cant be updated or removed, sooooo will the map on the device memory not be able to be ever updated?, and do I now install the Europe maps on the SD card and assume these would be updated in the future okay?... many thanks Tony
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

What you should try to do is select the full map of Europe to force it to install on the SD card.

All maps installed on the SD will be updated.
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    thank you, the Central Europe map installed on the SD card all okay, there was an option on the content to install it to the SD card, will the original Europe map now just sit in the device memory? is there anyway to remove it? also would there be an option to add buildings on the maps?
    you've been very helpful, thank you...
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Your Go has an internal memory of 8 GB, approximately 1 GB must be removed for the operation of your GPS
    a full map of Europe with buildings is about 9 GB
    in my opinion if you select full Europe with buildings it should install on SD.
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks, there doesn't appear to be a Europe and Ireland map with buildings on my list?(only the update for the one on the internal memory)
    I only have 648MB free space on my internal memory and the update for Europe v10.82 that will not load is 8275MB, is there any way of removing the Europe map from my internal memory and perhaps re-loading it possibly on the card?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    On the Go 5000, as long as there is enough space on the internal memory, the maps will be installed on the internal memory.
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    thanks, unfortunately due to only having 648mb free on the internal memory my map will not update to the latest...
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Normally, a new map overwrites the map already installed.
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    That must be right, but I assumed there isn't enough memory left to carry out the processing of doing that, Vikram sent Europe maps broken down into smaller maps, and I can add and remove the small ones under the memory size left okay, and have added a large central Europe map okay to the SD memory.
    One thing, does a map update have the same version number?, the map I have is v10.82, the update is also v10.82 and appears to be a whole map as its 8275mb, maybe its trying to update something that is already there?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    The latest Europe map available is 10.82 and weighs 8275 MB.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    edited February 1
    Hi @gibbo1

10.82 released 11/01/2022 is the very latest version for maps containing France otherwise the latest version for maps is 10.80 which was released November 2021.

Doug
  • gibbo1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Doug thanks, so it would appear that for some reason it states I have a map update that I already have, maybe that's why nothing happens when I try to update it to my device....